Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Everyone with WILWOODS happy??

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 11:25 AM
g356gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Everyone with WILWOODS happy??

So anyone that is running Wilwood BBK's .....like em? Any complaints with quality or performance? Thanks.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:34 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by g356gear
So anyone that is running Wilwood BBK's .....like em? Any complaints with quality or performance? Thanks.
Been using them for 1 year, and so far no complaints. You should try experimenting with some more aggressive pads. The stock pads are good OEM feel to them, and they dont dust. But switch to a more aggresive pad, and the braking feel is night and day.

They are VERY easy to install.

We sell them for $3590 shipped for the 14inch kits. Also have the StopTechs as well.

Here is link to all of our suspension and brake items: http://www.forgedinternals.com/store/home.php?cat=266
Old 07-13-2005, 11:40 AM
PumpedVA

love mine nothing but good things to say
Old 07-13-2005, 11:42 AM
vipv35

do they come with ss brake lines?
Old 07-13-2005, 11:56 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by vipv35
do they come with ss brake lines?
Yes, they are complete. Stainless steel lines, AL hats are mounted to the 14 inch rotors. Installation is as simple as attaching 4 bolts the radial mounted bracket, and attach the lines..then bleed brakes.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:08 PM
Skrill

I would go with Stoptech, AP Racing or track-model Brembro before looking at Wilwood. But that's me.

Wilwood are not realy of the same quality as Stoptech, AP or Brembro (at least in my experience). They have been known to flex and have other issues when used hard at the track. For street, they would probably be fine.

That all being said -- I will probably be putting Wilwoods on my Sentra race car because they are the only option with 11" rotors that fit under 15" wheels.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:24 PM
C Ray Z

Default 15 Track Days

I have had mine for almost two years. They are great. I have progressed very well in HPDE type events. The response is great and easy to work on as pads are replaced and other work performed on the car.

I got mine through 350zbrakes. 13.6" front and rear. six pot front and four pot rear.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:34 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by Skrill
Wilwood are not realy of the same quality as Stoptech, AP or Brembro (at least in my experience). They have been known to flex and have other issues when used hard at the track. For street, they would probably be fine.

I have used the 14inch wilwoods with the billet AL calipers on the track, and made REPEATED 150mph stops to 50mph without any hint of fade or instability. And this was with the OEM style pad. I can only image the response if I had used the more aggressive compound pad.

Remember that older Wilwoods, and some of the other designs, are inferior to the ones assembled by Brake Zone. This is where we get our kits, and the quality is top notch.

I think you will find that all of the BBK's are really outstanding. Brake pad choice is the critical component, that often effects peoples perception of "powerful" brakes.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:50 PM
Triple8Sol
Banned

Not exactly the same, but I was very pleased with my 4-piston Wilwoods w/13" rotors that I had on my Max...
Old 07-14-2005, 07:53 AM
Nano

Originally Posted by Skrill
I would go with Stoptech, AP Racing or track-model Brembro before looking at Wilwood. But that's me.

That all being said -- I will probably be putting Wilwoods on my Sentra race car because they are the only option with 11" rotors that fit under 15" wheels.
Honestly quote from my driving instructor who has been running about every single brakes from the last 20 years "stoptechs are all about hype"... I won't go into details. But after experience, I wouldn't put stoptechs if they where given to me free.

The question is fairly simple, and asks people who OWN wilwood kits if they are happy. Do you have wilwood brakes? Why do you fee the urge to biitch about them in every single brake thread???

I'd love to see a brake battle one day, I'm pretty sure you'd be surprised.

Last edited by Nano; 07-14-2005 at 08:06 AM.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:10 AM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I have been suprised that all the reviews I have read, including recently, show that OEM brakes stop quicker than any of the BBKs. Appears that, if you are tracking, a BBK is in order. If you are street driving, the OEM brakes are fine. Therefore, I have held up on such an expensive option for appearance alone (I don't race or track). I have never had a problem with my OEM brakes.

If I was buying a BBK, I would buy this one from ArizonaZcar:

350Z FRONT UPGRADE $1395/pair
COMES WITH MAMMOTH 13" (332mm) CURVED VANE DIRECTIONAL ROTORS 1.38" (35MM) THICK,
BILLET 6-PISTON ALUMINUM CALIPERS, ALUMINUM ROTOR CENTERS, AND ALL HARDWARE, BRACKETS , FITTINGS and STAINLESS BRAIDED BRAKELINES. THE HIGH-TECH CERAMIC PADS HAVE SUPERB GRIP AND ARE VIRTUALLY NOISE FREE!
1 KIT $1395 DOES BOTH FRONT WHEELS.
INSTALLATION SAVES APPROX. 10 POUNDS OVER THE STOCK BRAKES!

350Z REAR UPGRADE $795/pair.
COMES WITH 12.2" DIAMETER (310mm) VENTED ROTORS .810" (21MM) THICK,
BILLET ALUMINUM 4-PISTON CALIPERS, ALUMINUM ROTOR CENTERS, PADS, BRACKETS and ALL MOUNTING HARDWARE,
STAINLESS BRAIDED BRAKELINES are included also.
Note: the parking drum brake is eliminated.

Drawback: Parking brake eliminated
Plus: $2190 front and back, delivered.

Draw your own conclusions.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:37 AM
ncparamedic
Prodigal Son

Great deal, but I like the emergency brake so im not resting my cars weight on my 6MT.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:39 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by ncparamedic
Great deal, but I like the emergency brake so im not resting my cars weight on my 6MT.
The Wilwood function properly with the emergency brake. Did you have a problem with yours?
Old 07-14-2005, 09:39 AM
ncparamedic
Prodigal Son

Ive got my eye on either Wilwoods or another brand. Im hoping to get me an estimate / availability soon so then i will make my decision .. Wilwoods are very pleasing to the eye if you ask me.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:41 AM
ncparamedic
Prodigal Son

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
The Wilwood function properly with the emergency brake. Did you have a problem with yours?
No I was talking about the set that "Gringott" was talking about getting. Said the only draw back on the kit was that the parking brake was eliminated.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:47 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by ncparamedic
No I was talking about the set that "Gringott" was talking about getting. Said the only draw back on the kit was that the parking brake was eliminated.
I believe it was an installation. Ask him to call me, and I will help.

The larger aluminum hats means that less of the brake shoe (which is what the e-brake uses), touches the inside of the hat.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:47 AM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The guy at ArizonaZcar has something against parking brakes. Read the FAQ on his site.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:00 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The new Wilwood calipers are as solid as any other. The flexing issues are related to past caliper designs. Wilwoods, considering the price, are probably the best deal out there.

Respect
JET
Old 07-14-2005, 05:19 PM
PumpedVA

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
mine dosent work I dont even think its hooked up
Old 07-15-2005, 08:42 AM
J Ritt

Honestly quote from my driving instructor who has been running about every single brakes from the last 20 years "stoptechs are all about hype"...

Nano,
That's a good point. We actually provide the Speed Channel with special cameras that make it look like all of the cars without our brakes are decelerating at a slower rate than those with our brake kits. It works like a charm!

I'm just teasing...shoot me a PM and let me know what your specific concerns are about our systems. I'm very curious about how our products could possibly be viewed as hype. Cars with our brakes have been kicking butt for years in pro racing. In fact, we just got 1st and 2nd in the World Challenge Touring race at Limerock the other week. The brakes these guys were using are identical to the kits we ship to customers like those on this board. If they are winning pro races on our standard kits, I'm not sure how that can be viewed as hype. I don't want to put your "instructor" down, but my guess is that he isn't any more qualified to evaluate brakes than Bill Auberlin or Randy Pobst (The two gents that got the top places at Limerock on our brakes). They are thrilled with our brakes. Here's some info about them both if you're curious. They're pretty decent drivers...

http://www.ptgracing.com/drivers/auberlen.htm
http://www.randypobst.com/

Anyway, sorry to hijack the thread everyone. I just always wonder where quotes like this are spawned. Give me a call 310-325-4799 x104 or email at jeff@stoptech.com. I want to make sure that you aren't basing your opionion on misinformation. Also, keep in mind that everyone at the track is an expert...they'll even tell you so if you ask!

Quick Reply: Everyone with WILWOODS happy??