Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Coil Overs vs. Shocks + Springs

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 07:12 AM
BobaFettm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coil Overs vs. Shocks + Springs

Hey all! I'm stuck at a critical part of working on my Z... I have enough power for now but now I need a suspension... something that I can take out autocrossing and feel very confident about and at the same time start taking training schools for track racing for fun!

but the question comes up now...

Do I go with a coil over setup... or shocks + springs...

I'm looking at going with the HKS Hipermax II coil over set... its very expensive but at the same time looks like one of the best coil over sets you can possibly get for the Z!
http://www.i-m-racing.com/hkshiiico35.html

BUT I recently got an email from Doug at Crawford perfomance that suggests this setup instead...
RSR TI 2000 springs + Koni adjustable shocks

The price difference is quite drastic and it could save me a lot to go with the koni's + RS*R's... but will they really do as well as a full coil over setup?

This car is still my daily driver and its not really about the ride being rough more so the car not being destroyed on michigan roads... would it be smarter for me to go with the coil overs so I can adjust them freely height and what not... or will the koni's still be exceptable?

any help will be greatly appreciated
Old 07-28-2005, 08:43 AM
BobaFettm

help
Old 07-28-2005, 08:45 AM
VQ35DECivic

I'd look at it this way. Very few people are going to be able to extract *that* much more performance out of coilovers compared to a good shock/spring combo. In order to take full advantage out of the coilovers, they need to be corner weighted. That's an additional $200-300 expense. Add that to the fact that the more stuff you have to adjust, the more complicated it is. I had a set of JIC FLT-A2s on my G35C, and now with the Z, if I do end up doing suspension, it's just going to be the Nismo setup--easy and nothing to mess with.

Even though you have the ability to adjust the height--believe me, you're not going to want to do it. And after your $250 corner weighting job, you're definitely not going to want to change it!

Just keep it simple.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:25 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have JIC coilovers and for what I do which is 1/4 race and no road racing it was overkill. The lack of weight transfer actually hurts my 60ft times. If I could do it again Id do the Hotchkis or any linear spring set-up along with the Koni shocks and some nice sways(like the Hotchkis). That would be a great handling car that wont beat you up everyday, and be less than the JIC's or Tein Flex's or those HKS coilovers.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:43 AM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are going to autocross/road race, but some coilovers to allow you adjustability for track use.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:48 AM
knight_white99

An even less costly choice and probably just as acceptable for what you want is to go with the RS*R springs and Tokico D-Spec shocks (I also purchased the RS*R springs to replace my Eibachs, which I didn't like for track use). I am very happy with mine, and the range of dampening adjustment on the shocks is very wide.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:09 AM
BobaFettm

Originally Posted by knight_white99
An even less costly choice and probably just as acceptable for what you want is to go with the RS*R springs and Tokico D-Spec shocks (I also purchased the RS*R springs to replace my Eibachs, which I didn't like for track use). I am very happy with mine, and the range of dampening adjustment on the shocks is very wide.
I've heard that same choice from a few people now and I'm really debating it... I know a lot of the autocrossers in my area recommend them over the Koni's

anyone else had experience with this setup?