Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

355 mm Brembo vs 355 mm Stoptech vs Brembo Stock

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 06:48 AM
ZPirate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Nano
explain to me what is a racing brake???... they are standard floating calipers, standard iron rotors, standard brake pads and standard SS brake lines... there is nothing fancy or racing about these brakes except the fact they are used on touring cars... which are basically highly modified street cars. Maybe you meant track proven?... which is also true of Wilwood, Rotora, Endless, Alcon, AP racing, Tarox,... etc.... and what about the lowly brembo oem brakes run on every 350z in grand-am cup? Aren't they not "racing"? GT3 cup cars, 360 challenge cars... what do they run? What is your argument exactly?

Read Landbarger's post below for additional clarification since you obviously aren't following mine. Whether you call them racing brakes or track proven is not really the issue, both imply that they can be and are used on the track. As Landbarger stated "Brembo's brakes for F1, WRC, etc are entirely different than the BBKs they offer for our cars." My point is and was that StopTech offers BBKs for the 350Z that are "track proven" (your words). That can be used both on the street and at the track. And StopTech's BBKs are the exact same brake kits that are raced by touring cars in their championship. The only difference is that the race cars use racing pads rather than street pads.

In contrast the OEM Brembos for the Z aren't the same brakes run on the 350Z Grand Am Cup cars if the Cup cars don't use OEM rotors and brake lines, ie. they use aftermarket rotors and brake lines. The OEM Brembos for the Z don't come with slotted or cross drilled two piece rotors and don't come with stainless steel brake lines like most BBKs do, including the Brembo BBK. The OEM Brembos are good brakes and can be used on the track, but they are primarily built for the street. Thus they don't offer some of the performance that a true BBK offers. BBKs generally offer the additional improvement of better pads, two piece slotted and/or cross drilled rotors and stainless steel brake lines. As I said in one of my previous posts if I had the OEM Brembo set up on my car I would replace the OEM rotors with StopTech's two piece rotors and the OEM brake lines with stainless steel brake lines to improve the system, as many with this system have done. Since my car came with the non Brembo OEM brakes I upgraded to a BBK. In my opinion StopTech gave me the best kit for the money.

Brembos BBKs and their F1 braking systems have very little in common except they are made and sold by Brembo. I don't know if Brembo offers a BBK for street cars that is the same system used by a racing team, but they may. What I do know is that StopTech does.

Last edited by ZPirate; 09-27-2005 at 06:52 AM.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:00 AM
J Ritt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nano,
You keep harping on the fact that the 350Z's in GAC are using the factory Brembo's...that's not the case. The Unitech Z's were using the factory Brembos with stock rotors originally. They were running out of heat capacity quite often. They then switched to our AeroRotors with the factory calipers (per the rules). They gained heat capacity due to improved air flow, and actually won their first race on our setup. Even with that setup however, they were still running out of heat capacity at tracks like Laguna Seca.

A couple of months ago there was a rules change, and Unitech was allowed to switch to our off-the-shelf 332mmx32mm full BBK...the exact same one that we sell to customers. The factory rotors are 324x30mm, so even our smaller kit for the Z has significantly greater heat capacity. The increase in both diameter and width makes quite a large difference, and that doesn't even take into account the superior airflow of the internal vane structure. These cars are now able to run multiple races on one set of pads, whereas before, they were running out of pad in less than one race.

the lowly brembo oem brakes run on every 350z in grand-am cup? Aren't they not "racing"? GT3 cup cars, 360 challenge cars... what do they run? What is your argument exactly?
So, the lowly Brembo oem brakes have indeed been ditched for our standard 332mm setup, which has proven itself superior with plenty of data given directly to StopTech from Unitech Racing. Unitech won it's second race this year with our full BBK, and they are the only 350Z team to ever win.

You may want to get your facts straight before you start arguing so vehemently.

The bottom line is this...the factory Brembo's are a very nice brake system. They do have their limitations however. In particular, the rotor size on the front is a bit small for people who are really going to drive the car hard on the racetrack with race tires. Some people WILL exceed the heat capacity of this system. When you throw a bigger rotor into the mix, it makes a significant difference. Our 332x32mm and 355x32mm systems are a great upgrade for those who have reached the capacity of the factory Brembo system. The same is true on the Mitsu. Evo and Subaru WRS STi. We have lots of those customers who pump their cars up a bit for track duty, and then exceed the heat capacity of the stock Brembos and come to us for an upgrade. Again, the Brembo system is a nice factory system, and it's superior to what many other sportscars have in terms of brakes. It does have limitations that can be reached by many people though. At that point, our kits are a logical upgrade.

Everyone else, thanks for the support. I'm glad you guys appreciate what we've done, and continue to do to support the 350Z platform and community.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:12 AM
Nano

come on... Jritt, don't tell me you are taking credit for the unitech racing win because they switched to your rotors!!! LoL... that's rediclous. I'm sure any 332mm upgrade from PFC, Brembo, Wilwood, or who else would have made the same difference.

Beside, Isn't italian company pilenga making your rotors???

Anyway, my point was that there is nothing fancy about touring car brakes. They are basically street brakes with a few modifications.(proof is that some touring cars still use factory brakes.. especially rear) The fact you adverstise your brakes as racing brakes is pathetic. Even MORE pathetic the people who upgrade to 14.1" brakes from brembo OEM... and then claim they NOW have "racing brakes".

Last edited by Nano; 09-27-2005 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:41 AM
thawk408

come on... Jritt, don't tell me you are taking credit for the unitech racing win because they switched to your rotors!!! LoL... that's rediclous. I'm sure any 332mm upgrade from PFC, Brembo, Wilwood, or who else would have made the same difference.

Beside, Isn't italian company pilenga making your rotors???

Anyway, my point is that there is nothing fancy about touring car brakes. They are basically street brakes with a few modifications. The fact you adverstise your brakes as racing brakes is pathetic. Even MORE pathetic the people who upgrade to 14.1" brakes from brembo OEM... and then claim they NOW have "racing brakes".
It seems like Unitech chose Stoptech over the competitions. Sure, any of the others would of done a good job, but they didn't chose them.

I dont understand how anything Jritt has said is "pathetic". If they race the same brakes that they put on the street, then this would seem to be that the brakes are "racing brakes". It seems like to me that you are just butthurt over something dealing with Stoptech. If you dont like them, then go get something else. Thanks.

Last edited by thawk408; 09-27-2005 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:04 PM
Nano

Originally Posted by thawk408
It seems like Unitech chose Stoptech over the competitions. Sure, any of the others would of done a good job, but they didn't chose them.

I dont understand how anything Jritt has said is "pathetic". If they race the same brakes that they put on the street, then this would seem to be that the brakes are "racing brakes". It seems like to me that you are just butthurt over something dealing with Stoptech. If you dont like them, then go get something else. Thanks.
JRitt is trying to sell is stuff, there is nothing pathetic in what he's doing. As matter of fact, he's a helpfull member of this community as far as I know, and I never said they sold bad brakes.

I know people who use stoptech brakes, and some of them aren't as butt-hurt as you to admit that their 14.1" front/rear brakes actually killed performance more than anything else. Pathetic is the HYPE generated by big brakes. 350z community has the "brembo" complex because everyone who doesn't have brembos on their cars feels unendowed... so they run and compensate their tinny pecker syndrome with these absolutely USELESS brake upgrade and then justify their decision with "hey! I they are racing brakes". Stoptech capitalizes on that more than any other community (except maybe E46m3, where the stock brakes suck.

Grandam Ford mustang GTs still run the stock rear brakes(with front Brembos). I believe they are doing well. And what may work for unitech doesn't necessarily work for others 350z.

BTW, since Stoptech seems to be the only "voice" in this discussion, I hope you will have the decency to let people who believe/know otherwise have their say. Thanks

Last edited by Nano; 09-27-2005 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:22 PM
Kolia

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fun discussion here.

I have to side with Nano when he is asking What is a racing brake?

I often hear the “Race Proven” argument. Yet, anybody who runs a full race setup on the street is making poor use of his equipment. Track pads will chew your discs when run cold, slots are useless at these temperature. Braking distances are huge then.

It’s a question of getting what appropriate for your use.

EOM Brembos will do their work very well until you start carrying some serious speed down the straight. Those who do track their Brembo equipped Z and have posted here all agree that it’s not the first thing to upgrade.

I don’t think I’ll need to change them before I start running r-compound tires and have improved my suspension.

If I had a base Z, then yes, I’d probably jump straight to a BBK. I’d shop around for other “Race Proven” brake kits before choosing.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:23 PM
350zroadster

I wouldn't take love_350z's posts too seriously, you'll see why by visiting these threads.

https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/144164-red-hot-350z-check-out-this-cool-ride.html

https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/144228-why-do-people-take-internet-so-seriously.html

It's hilarious, I promise.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:24 PM
Landbarger

Yeah, this guy is definitely our current resident douschebag.

(I'd like those pics of your Brembo's still, love)
Old 09-27-2005, 12:30 PM
love_350z
Banned

Smile

Originally Posted by J Ritt
The bottom line is this...the factory Brembo's are a very nice brake system. They do have their limitations however. In particular, the rotor size on the front is a bit small for people who are really going to drive the car hard on the racetrack with race tires. Some people WILL exceed the heat capacity of this system. When you throw a bigger rotor into the mix, it makes a significant difference. Our 332x32mm and 355x32mm systems are a great upgrade for those who have reached the capacity of the factory Brembo system. The same is true on the Mitsu. Evo and Subaru WRS STi. We have lots of those customers who pump their cars up a bit for track duty, and then exceed the heat capacity of the stock Brembos and come to us for an upgrade. Again, the Brembo system is a nice factory system, and it's superior to what many other sportscars have in terms of brakes. It does have limitations that can be reached by many people though. At that point, our kits are a logical upgrade.
You have been trying to compare 350z stock brembo with your Stoptech 328 mm or 355 mm big brake kit. But you didn't mention (probably by intention ) how these Stoptech are compared to Brembo 328 mm or 355 mm Grand Turismo Big Brake Kit. Wonder why?
You sound like you are an insider from Stoptech, you obviously know this (Stoptech BBK vs Brembo BBK) better than us.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:30 PM
ZPirate

JRitt is trying to sell is stuff, there is nothing pathetic in what he's doing. As matter of fact, he's a helpfull member of this community as far as I know, and I never said they sold bad brakes.

I know people who use stoptech brakes, and some of them aren't as butt-hurt as you to admit that their 14.1" front/rear brakes actually killed performance more than anything else. Pathetic is the HYPE generated by big brakes. 350z community has the "brembo" complex because everyone who doesn't have brembos on their cars feels unendowed... so they run and compensate their tinny pecker syndrome with these absolutely USELESS brake upgrade and then justify their decision with "hey! I they are racing brakes". Stoptech capitalizes on that more than any other community (except maybe E46m3, where the stock brakes suck.

Grandam Ford mustang GTs still run the stock rear brakes(with front Brembos). I believe they are doing well. And what may work for unitech doesn't necessarily work for others 350z.

BTW, since Stoptech seems to be the only "voice" in this discussion, I hope you will have the decency to let people who believe/know otherwise have their say. Thanks
Nano,

I don't have a problem with you having your say as long as you are not insulting people who are trying to have intelligent dialogue about an issue or putting down other poster's opinions. I just don't understand what you are trying to say other than Brembo is the greatest thing since sliced bread and no one else can come close to producing a product as great as its brakes and that you dislike StopTech for some reason. I certainly have not seen anyone on this forum say that StopTech brakes have killed their performance. Most people that I know put BBKs on Zs not equipped with the OEM Brembos.

As for StopTech owners not being happy with the product I have heard very few complaints about StopTech BBKs. Does that mean everyone who has them is 100% satisfied with them, probably not. If you think BBKs are useless that is your opinion, but obviously the rest of us are entitled to our opinions too. When you resort to insulting everyone and their opinions rather than having a intelligent conversation about the issue you and your opinions loose all credibility. Thanks.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:36 PM
ADMAN

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

StopTech.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:39 PM
Landbarger

Originally Posted by love_350z
You sound like you are an insider from Stoptech, you obviously know this (Stoptech BBK vs Brembo BBK) better than us.
You sound like you are an imbecile from outside the actual Z-owning community, you obviously know less about this car, or any automotive technology than any of us.

BTW, you keep ignoring my requests for pics of your Z with Brembos. Wonder why?
Old 09-27-2005, 12:48 PM
ZPirate

Originally Posted by Kolia
Fun discussion here.

I have to side with Nano when he is asking What is a racing brake?

I often hear the “Race Proven” argument. Yet, anybody who runs a full race setup on the street is making poor use of his equipment. Track pads will chew your discs when run cold, slots are useless at these temperature. Braking distances are huge then.

It’s a question of getting what appropriate for your use.

EOM Brembos will do their work very well until you start carrying some serious speed down the straight. Those who do track their Brembo equipped Z and have posted here all agree that it’s not the first thing to upgrade.

I don’t think I’ll need to change them before I start running r-compound tires and have improved my suspension.

If I had a base Z, then yes, I’d probably jump straight to a BBK. I’d shop around for other “Race Proven” brake kits before choosing.
Most people who have BBKs don't use racing pads on the street. They simply switch out street pads for race pads when they go to the track and switch back when they leave as do many people who have the OEM Brembos and track their cars. Since you have a Track model Z with Brembo brakes you may not feel that you need any additional braking capacity. However, for those of us who don't have Track models and want more braking capacity than the OEM brakes give us a BBK is a great upgrade. Also most people who do get BBKs do shop around for the best buy to fit their needs.

The two biggest advantages I see that a BBK kit has over stock Brembo brakes is 1) larger, lighter and cooler running rotors and street pads and 2) stainless steel brake lines for better feel.

As I said in a previous post I have a Touring model so by adding a BBK and lighter Nismo wheels I in essence created a Grand Touring model before Nissan did. If they had made a Grand Touring model in 2003 that is what I would have purchased. I wanted the best of both models.

Last edited by ZPirate; 09-27-2005 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:49 PM
Nano

Pirate, you might want to reread the thread... where did I say brembo was the best thing since sliced bread? Where did I insult someone? ... it's quite the opposite actually... stoptech seems to be the best thing since sliced bread and you people seem to have a problem with anything that does not agree with that.

What I'm trying to say is very simple. there is a lot of hype around BBKs, and stoptech capitalized it more than anyone else. "the argument of stoptech is better because they race their kit in grandam is REDICULOUS". If you still cannot figure out why, then I'm sorry.

Originally Posted by ZPirate
Nano,

I don't have a problem with you having your say as long as you are not insulting people who are trying to have intelligent dialogue about an issue or putting down other poster's opinions. I just don't understand what you are trying to say other than Brembo is the greatest thing since sliced bread and no one else can come close to producing a product as great as its brakes and that you dislike StopTech for some reason. I certainly have not seen anyone on this forum say that StopTech brakes have killed their performance. Most people that I know put BBKs on Zs not equipped with the OEM Brembos.

As for StopTech owners not being happy with the product I have heard very few complaints about StopTech BBKs. Does that mean everyone who has them is 100% satisfied with them, probably not. If you think BBKs are useless that is your opinion, but obviously the rest of us are entitled to our opinions too. When you resort to insulting everyone and their opinions rather than having a intelligent conversation about the issue you and your opinions loose all credibility. Thanks.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:50 PM
love_350z
Banned

Originally Posted by Landbarger
You sound like you are an imbecile from outside the actual Z-owning community, you obviously know less about this car, or any automotive technology than any of us.

BTW, you keep ignoring my requests for pics of your Z with Brembos. Wonder why?
Come here and find out for urself.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143212
Old 09-27-2005, 01:03 PM
Kolia

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't believe this would be much different from StopTech performance wise.

ZPirate, then we agree. Read my last paragraph about twin piston calipers. Track days 9 and 10 are coming up in two weeks. On oem Brembos with race pads.

I’m not against StopTech. It’s just that people forget that there is other stuff available. It might be worthwhile to check out the competition.

The original post was about the Brembo BBK if I remember correctly… Not the OEM ones.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:10 PM
ZPirate

Pirate, you might want to reread the thread... where did I say brembo was the best thing since sliced bread? Where did I insult someone? ... it's quite the opposite actually... stoptech seems to be the best thing since sliced bread and you people seem to have a problem with anything that does not agree with that.

What I'm trying to say is very simple. there is a lot of hype around BBKs, and stoptech capitalized it more than anyone else. "the argument of stoptech is better because they race their kit in grandam is REDICULOUS". If you still cannot figure out why, then I'm sorry.
Nano, you said:

Pathetic is the HYPE generated by big brakes. 350z community has the "brembo" complex because everyone who doesn't have brembos on their cars feels unendowed... so they run and compensate their tinny pecker syndrome with these absolutely USELESS brake upgrade and then justify their decision with "hey! I they are racing brakes". Stoptech capitalizes on that more than any other community (except maybe E46m3, where the stock brakes suck.
FYI that is insulting to those of us who have BBKs and you intended for it to be insulting.

As for the posts I have seen I don't think they have said that StopTech is the greatest thing since sliced bread. As I have said in almost all of my posts in this thread Brembo makes good brakes, OEM or BBK. I have tried to point out to you the pros and cons of the OEM Brembos versus the StopTechs and why those of us who didn't have the OEM Brembos got BBKs. Based on your comments the same insults could be hurled at those who got the OEM Brembos in the first place over the other stock brakes. Why did they need them?

The bottom line is that all three brake systems originally referred in this thread are good brake systems, 355mm Brembo, 355mm StopTech or OEM Brembos. What each person has to decide is what are their needs and what are they willing to spend. For me the StopTech setup gave me the most bang for the buck and allowed me to upgrade my rear brakes too.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:15 PM
Nano

Originally Posted by ZPirate
Nano, you said:

FYI that is insulting to those of us who have BBKs and you intended for it to be insulting.
That would be pretty silly since I have a BBK as well. LoL.

If you get insulted by the fact that there is a lot of HYPE about BBKs(and stoptech in particular) and most(not all) of the people who defend them have no clue or use for them whatsoever... then welcome to the real world my friend
Old 09-27-2005, 01:17 PM
love_350z
Banned

Comparing Brembo Brand vs Stoptech Brand is like comparing Porche 911 vs Toyota Corolla

I am not sure which one is corolla which one is Porche (just the brand).
Old 09-27-2005, 01:21 PM
ZPirate

That would be pretty silly since I have a BBK as well. LoL.

If you get insulted by the fact that there is a lot of HYPE about BBKs(and stoptech in particular) and most(not all) of the people who defend them have no clue or use for them whatsoever... then welcome to the real world my friend
What I said was insulting was this portion of your comment which you so conveniently left out of your reply to me:

350z community has the "brembo" complex because everyone who doesn't have brembos on their cars feels unendowed... so they run and compensate their tinny pecker syndrome with these absolutely USELESS brake upgrade and then justify their decision with "hey! I they are racing brakes".
If in fact you have a BBK you are insulting yourself. Go figure that!

Last edited by ZPirate; 09-27-2005 at 01:30 PM.

Quick Reply: 355 mm Brembo vs 355 mm Stoptech vs Brembo Stock