Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

The Final Answer to Rear Camber / Toe adjustments!! Battleversion Toe/Camber Arms

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 08:39 AM
Nano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aalzuhair
Well, looking at the stock rear lower arm, makes me think that this part has more stress on it than the upper spring mounting point. However, should we change it to a coilover, I would think that it would increase the stress on the upper mounting point. Don’t ask me for any explanation because I don’t have it … but that’s just the way I look at it until some can explain it. Other than that, I would think that the stock location would provide less stress on any single point... having said that, maybe you can use both a coilover and the stock location ??? I don't know

At any rate, can someone explain the benefit in real-life of using a coilover in the rear versus the stock setup.

Thanks,

Az
still haven't looked it up...

but the point is suspension vectorial loads are not necessarily as simple as they appear(the car is not leaning directly on the spring). There is X-Y-Z components to them (when car corners and when car accelerates and brakes)... this modified toe link still carries load, even without a spring on it. Understand what I mean? The nominal load at the shock mount IMHO could still be more or less the same (if not the same).

I mean, the shock mount is the rear strut tower... where you have the huge rear strut brace. My guess is that's where most of the load/forces are carried and directed. Can't be much forces playing on the spring mounting point.

but as I said, I haven't looked it up yet

Last edited by Nano; 10-01-2005 at 08:54 AM.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by optionimports
The so-called "toe arm" by JIC / Stillen ARE NOT TRUE TOE ARMS, they replace the traction rod instead...
WTF?

JIC sells 3 different rear adjustment pieces.

JIC camber rod: http://www.i-m-racing.com/jicmaadrecal.html
JIC traction rod: http://www.i-m-racing.com/jicmaretrrod.html
JID toe rod: http://www.i-m-racing.com/jicmaretoeco.html

So why would their toe rod only replace the traction rod, when they sell a traction rod?
Old 10-03-2005, 06:59 AM
AlexPfeiffer

Both JIC and Stillen sold adjustable traction links (the links that run forward and are not adjustable stock) and said they are toe control rods. JIC has recently changed their line to include a separate toe rod and traction rod where as Stillen still sells the traction links as a toe rod. Here is a link http://www.stillen.com/sportscars_de...d=38129&main=1

Now the problem with this is that the traction links adjust the rear upright angle. Changing the upright angle is kinda like castor for the front wheels, just in the rear of the car, there is no castor but you have bumpsteer. Now unless you have the right tools in order to adjust bumpsteer, you really should leave those arms stock length as the engineers of Nissan have spent alot of time making it right from the factory. At least the JIC set comes with a spherical bearing which will lessen the amount of deflection your suspension will see.

One of you mentioned that those traction links helped your toe setting. I have experience with doing alignments on 350z's with those adjustable traction links and I just don't see how the rear upright angle helps your toe links become smaller. The adjustment range does change, but what happens is that if your toe becomes better, then your camber setting will be off again. There is no happy medium when adjusting those links. If I get another 350z with those links, then I will take some pictures of the difference in those adjustments for you to see. The traction links will help the way the car feels but they will not help fix the alignment issues of the car.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:39 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by aalzuhair

At any rate, can someone explain the benefit in real-life of using a coilover in the rear versus the stock setup.

Thanks,
The ability to adjust or alter spring preload, which is something that is flat out impossible with the oem rear spring location. And in this application, where the rear lower link is removed, you are running a sperical bearing at the oem toe control location. IMO, the oem bushing at this point allow's for load induced toe changes due to bushing deflection. Going sperical kills this possibility.

Does the area above the rear upper shock mount's have the same level's of reenforcement's as the front? Can anyone offer a picture of the rear upper mounts devoid of trim or the STB?
Old 10-03-2005, 10:11 AM
AlexPfeiffer

Spring preload isnt too important unless your running too much preload. Whats important is that with the rear coil over, it makes it easier to adjust the height then in the stock spring location, and your able to corner ballance the car, plus your able to replace the stock toe link for a fully adjustable arm. This allows you to get the correct camber/toe settings.

So far your only other option is to relace the stock adjustment bolt and slot the hole a bit to get more adjustment range. On many of the cars I have worked on, they are lowered to the point that wasnt effective anymore.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:17 AM
Gsedan35

{edit} nevermind
Old 10-03-2005, 11:50 AM
optionimports

Originally Posted by 21112
WTF?

JIC sells 3 different rear adjustment pieces.

JIC camber rod: http://www.i-m-racing.com/jicmaadrecal.html
JIC traction rod: http://www.i-m-racing.com/jicmaretrrod.html
JID toe rod: http://www.i-m-racing.com/jicmaretoeco.html

So why would their toe rod only replace the traction rod, when they sell a traction rod?

JIC's coilovers for the Z33 is OEM setup, why would they make a toe link that can't even work with their coilover?

I guarantee you that Intense is wrong on that toe rod, we are JIC direct dealer and I just double checked with JIC, there's no such TOE rod from JIC.

JIC only makes traction rod and camber rod.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:57 PM
AlexPfeiffer

And someone asked for a picture of the rear with the interior taken out so you can see the difference of where the springs now sit. I had to barrow this pic but it was at the best angle to see.

Old 10-03-2005, 02:52 PM
aalzuhair

Thanks AlexPfeiffer for clearing things out

Az
Old 10-03-2005, 02:58 PM
aalzuhair

Ok, now let’s say that you install the toe and camber set and would like to use Tein Type Flex Coilover with EDFC rather than BuddyClub in the rear just to have the EDFC function.

Does Tein make a coilover that would fit in the rear of the 350z?

Thanks,
Az
Old 10-03-2005, 03:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JIC's coilovers for the Z33 is OEM setup, why would they make a toe link that can't even work with their coilover?

I guarantee you that Intense is wrong on that toe rod, we are JIC direct dealer and I just double checked with JIC, there's no such TOE rod from JIC.

JIC only makes traction rod and camber rod.
No shizzle, really? That's odd.
So from what you're saying, and what AlexPfeiffer stated, the JIC toe rod is really a JIC traction rod that can be used in the toe rod location, but won't allow for toe adjustment (but will help handling due to the spherical bearings).

Well, then, interesting.
So the next question becomes, is it possible to get the battleversion toe arms with spherical bearings or hard race bushings (forgive me if that was mentioned somewhere, but I didn't see it)?

EDIT: Re-read the thread...they do come with spherical bearings...cool.
So who offers true coilovers for the rear. I was thinking about going TEIN Flex.

Last edited by 21112; 10-03-2005 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:59 PM
Gsedan35

I'm glad to see a picture of the rear hatch area with the all the plastic removed. It gives the issue a boost, but I don't see it as closure to the issue. The sides of the shock tower area are plainly covered by the brace, but what about the area not seen in the picture? What does the area above the rear shock mount's look like, does it have the same stamped steel reinforcement that is over the front shock mount, not just on the sides?
Old 10-03-2005, 05:36 PM
optionimports

So far, the only one who makes true coilovers setup for the rear, is BuddyClub.

Tein FLEX is OEM SETUP

of course there's a few more names in japan who make them, but no one import them in the USA.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:50 PM
dank311

Hey Alex,

Sorry to hear about your S2k at the FD finals. I saw the crash on G4. You were doing soo good! I wanted to see you go up against Millen. Anyways, I have a set of Zeal coilovers that are installed on my Z. Since the rear setups retains the stock spring location, would it be adequate If I used your rear Camber rod, with the SPC toe kit (eccentric bolts)?
http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...ng&prodid=1314
This link states the Toe correction can be adjusted up to +/-3.00
Btw, I will be dropped around 2inches...
Jon

Last edited by dank311; 10-03-2005 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:07 PM
Gsedan35

With the drop amount's most members of this board choose to do, I have yet to see a post titled,.........SPC camber arms and toe cam bolts didn't have enough adjustment, HELP! Which beg's the question, just how much negitive camber was the car in question running?

Last edited by Gsedan35; 10-03-2005 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:57 PM
twenzel

Option Imports... I've PM'd you twice and still no response. Are you still selling these?
Old 10-04-2005, 12:16 AM
optionimports

Originally Posted by tonywenzel
Option Imports... I've PM'd you twice and still no response. Are you still selling these?
you've got PM.

Alex is currently making the Toe links and should be available in 2-3 weeks, camber links we have instock ready to go.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:04 AM
aalzuhair

Tein FLEX is OEM SETUP

of course there's a few more names in japan who make them, but no one import them in the USA.
Thats why I said a Tein "Coilover"
Old 10-04-2005, 06:10 AM
twenzel

Tein FLEX is OEM SETUP

There are actually 3 names out there (only 1 of good quality)
Buddy Club
Ksport
D2

I beleive Ksport and D2 are the exact same crap just a different color and sticker on the side. Go FIRST INC!
Old 10-04-2005, 08:47 PM
Blue Komodo

I believe Top Secret also offers one. they had an additional spring in the stock location though.

Quick Reply: The Final Answer to Rear Camber / Toe adjustments!! Battleversion Toe/Camber Arms