Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

D2 RACING sports rs coilover system

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 11:53 PM
skitoles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D2 RACING sports rs coilover system

anyone got any word on these coilovers, anyone got em?
Old 10-23-2005, 05:50 AM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the D2's. I have had them for 3 months now, and love them. I have not had the opportunity to put them to the test on the track as of yet. As far as using them on the street they are great. They have 15/13kg springs which I find to provide an acceptable ride. Spring rates can be custom ordered at time of purchase at no additional charge. I'm in florida, and our roads are in good shape. I have the dampening set at maximum. You can get them direct form the manufacturer for$1000.

Construction is beautiful. All CNC machined parts. The shock casing is steel but the lower bodies are aluminum. The springs have had no settling and the car is at the height I put it at.

However there were some installation problems. The shock bodies supplied were too long, and the car sat at stock height at full drop in the rear, and only had an inch drop at maximum in the front. A set of shortened rear shock bodies were sent as a replacment for the rears which put me at my 1.25 drop I am at now in the rear. There is room for still more drop. I am still waiting on the shortened lower front shock bodies to come. But I am sure they will arrive soon.

I do not know if the kit they are sending nowhas been revised with the shorter bodies. If you buy them make sure the manufacturer varifies he is sending the shorter units. If you need measurments to verify which bodies you should be getting let me know.

Knightwhite 99 has them and had the same exact issues. But last I heard he was happy as well. There was a fairly long thread here recently on these dampers. Do a search. Lots of bad publicity surrounding the shock, and the KSports which are freakishly similar, but both companies claim they are different shocks whch I highly doubt. I and Knightwhite 99 have had nothing but good experiences with the manufacturer and the shock so far.

They are rebuildable, and the manufacturer has an office/warehouse here in the US.

Respect
JET

Last edited by JETPILOT; 10-23-2005 at 05:54 AM.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:28 PM
skitoles

thnx JETPILOT for the good info
Old 10-24-2005, 04:40 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they sure does look purdy pa!
Old 10-25-2005, 10:33 AM
CreativeAutoworks

We have put these on a few Is300's and bmw's they appear to be made of hgh quality components and look great. Give me a call if you need a price
Old 10-25-2005, 09:22 PM
Triple8Sol
Banned

Reviews from my old stomping ground, Maximas, and also 240's are not good. Majority of the people I trust had issues w/them, as well as the K-Sport versions too...
Old 10-27-2005, 12:03 AM
JETPILOT

What kind of issues are we talking about?

Respect
JET
Old 10-27-2005, 08:21 PM
Triple8Sol
Banned

Different types noises like popping or creaking that was extremely loud. People tried making all kinds of custom gaskets, tried using many different type sof lube/grease on different areas, and even had them rebuilt and replaced by distributors and the company itself. Lots of people got them when they were super cheap, like $600-$700, and ended up regretting it.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:47 PM
JETPILOT

After 4 months and about 3000 miles all is well here.

Respect
JET
Old 11-02-2005, 09:34 PM
meme

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
After 4 months and about 3000 miles all is well here.

Respect
JET
if you get a chance; can you get the measurements?
thanks
Old 11-02-2005, 11:25 PM
JETPILOT

Give D2 a call and ask for Noah. Tell him Larry from FL sent you, and tell him to hook you up with the shortened shock bodies he set me up with. He will know exactly what you r talking about. I'm still waiting for the front lower mounts. He said they should be in by next week. He may be @ the SEMA show this week and tought to get a hold of. But give it a try.

Respect
JET
Old 11-29-2005, 10:59 PM
G352NV

Man Im stuck with the raised up rear. Ive emailed these guys and asked about the shorter blocks but get no return email. Im pretty pissed that they are not taking care of this. I paid almost 1000.00 and my ride is stock in the rear!
Old 12-02-2005, 07:34 AM
knight_white99

Knightwhite 99 has them and had the same exact issues. But last I heard he was happy as well. There was a fairly long thread here recently on these dampers. Do a search. Lots of bad publicity surrounding the shock, and the KSports which are freakishly similar, but both companies claim they are different shocks whch I highly doubt. I and Knightwhite 99 have had nothing but good experiences with the manufacturer and the shock so far.
I ended up experimenting with spring rates, and settled on 13 Fr/11 Rr. The 15/13 original combo was (at least for me) a bit too stiff, even for the track. They were great for auto-x, but I found them not so great on the race track. I still feel that the back end is underdamped, even at full stiff, if the surface is bumpy.

My issues on the track stem from an experience at Firebrid Raceway's west track. Going into the braking zone at the end of the main straight there is a series of three bumps. The rear suspension unloaded over each of the bumps, causing the tires to break loose and chirp each time. I was barely able to keep braking under control. On smoother parts of the track, they were okay. I auto-x on a fairly smooth surface, and had no issues when auto-xing (in fact, they were very good).

I would say it depends on where you drive and how the roads are around your area. Be prepared for the back end to pogo over large bumps.

By the way, I have since removed these and gone back to my Tokico D-Spec shocks and Espelir GT springs. This combo is 10 times better than the D2s for street driving and still not bad for the track (a much better spring for the track than my Eibachs). I have an auto-x this weekend so I'll report back how this combo does for that. If it were easy to swap out, I would change to the D2s for auto-x, but the three hour swap time (then a re-alignment) is just not worth it.

So, if anyone wants to buy my D2s, they are for sale. They were used less than 1000 miles. I have both types of lower mounts for the rears, plus 5 sets of springs (15, 13, 11, 9, and 7.6kg/mm). So these will be useful for almost ANYONE from drifters to drag racers. PM me with any offers...
Old 12-11-2005, 04:34 PM
Havok_RLS2

Originally Posted by knight_white99
I ended up experimenting with spring rates, and settled on 13 Fr/11 Rr. The 15/13 original combo was (at least for me) a bit too stiff, even for the track. They were great for auto-x, but I found them not so great on the race track. I still feel that the back end is underdamped, even at full stiff, if the surface is bumpy.

My issues on the track stem from an experience at Firebrid Raceway's west track. Going into the braking zone at the end of the main straight there is a series of three bumps. The rear suspension unloaded over each of the bumps, causing the tires to break loose and chirp each time. I was barely able to keep braking under control. On smoother parts of the track, they were okay. I auto-x on a fairly smooth surface, and had no issues when auto-xing (in fact, they were very good).

I would say it depends on where you drive and how the roads are around your area. Be prepared for the back end to pogo over large bumps.

By the way, I have since removed these and gone back to my Tokico D-Spec shocks and Espelir GT springs. This combo is 10 times better than the D2s for street driving and still not bad for the track (a much better spring for the track than my Eibachs). I have an auto-x this weekend so I'll report back how this combo does for that. If it were easy to swap out, I would change to the D2s for auto-x, but the three hour swap time (then a re-alignment) is just not worth it.

So, if anyone wants to buy my D2s, they are for sale. They were used less than 1000 miles. I have both types of lower mounts for the rears, plus 5 sets of springs (15, 13, 11, 9, and 7.6kg/mm). So these will be useful for almost ANYONE from drifters to drag racers. PM me with any offers...
How much? Pm me with your asking price.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:11 PM
drumma022

I have always viewed the D2's as not having enough dampening. This is common trend to the lower priced coilovers.