Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Differents in OEM suspension between years

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 03:42 PM
MI SO FST

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differents in OEM suspension between years

I am trying to find out whats the differents in the Stock OEM Suspension between the years of the 350Z, thats would be including the different models available, like convertable, performance, track, etc. I hear that there are different spring rates in the rear from 03-04 and 04.5-05, but when i try looking for part number I see there there are different number for cars coming with and without the 18in wheels. I am also looking in to the differents in shocks.

The reason I am asking is cause I have a G35 sedan and am looking to lower the car with the stock 350Z suspension. I have a set 03 on now but the car seems to bounce alot. I am not looking for that. I just put on a set of the stiffer 04.5 rear springs and it seems to still be bouncing. Can someone please let me know. If someone has a list of part number for the shocks or/and springs please list them here.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:51 PM
Speedracer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MI SO FST
I am trying to find out whats the differents in the Stock OEM Suspension between the years of the 350Z, thats would be including the different models available, like convertable, performance, track, etc. I hear that there are different spring rates in the rear from 03-04 and 04.5-05, but when i try looking for part number I see there there are different number for cars coming with and without the 18in wheels. I am also looking in to the differents in shocks.

The reason I am asking is cause I have a G35 sedan and am looking to lower the car with the stock 350Z suspension. I have a set 03 on now but the car seems to bounce alot. I am not looking for that. I just put on a set of the stiffer 04.5 rear springs and it seems to still be bouncing. Can someone please let me know. If someone has a list of part number for the shocks or/and springs please list them here.
The bouncing occurs because the dampening ability of the shock is inadequate for the spring rate under a given load condition. Are you using both the Z springs and shocks, or just the springs? Also, the G is heavier in the rear than the Z. Your best bet is to get the Nismo suspension for the G35.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:38 PM
MI SO FST

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedracer
The bouncing occurs because the dampening ability of the shock is inadequate for the spring rate under a given load condition. Are you using both the Z springs and shocks, or just the springs? Also, the G is heavier in the rear than the Z. Your best bet is to get the Nismo suspension for the G35.
I know that the car is heavier by i belive its 200 lbs. I have the whole 350Z setup from an 03. I just changed the rear springs to an 04.5. I am thinking if I change the shocks the ride would not be as bouncey
Old 10-26-2005, 07:29 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedracer
Nissan revised the Z's oem suspension midway into 2004 production. All 2004 roadsteer production has the revision from job one. The revision includes different shocks with a lot less compression dampning and more rebound control. Also rear spring rates were revised upwards, at 24% increase from 342lbs to 427lbs. Also the front sway bar likely has thicker wall's in it's internal construction, upping overall stiffness about 20% or so. Front spring rates stay the same.

The G's added weight doesn't help a already well defined oem 2003 Z suspension behavior. Pretty much every work typed by a large mass of 2003 Z owner's here matches up exactly to how the same suspension behaves on a G35 sedan or on a G coupe. And the G35's longer wheelbase does nothing to help insulate it from this trait. The oem spring rates on the 2003 Z are the same as on a 2003 sedan with the sport suspension, same as on the G35 coupe, all use the same oem sway bars too, not until the 2004.5 Z changes did we see this change.

The Nismo sedan suspension is a whole different animal vs the same thing for the Z, though both use progressive springs. $1600 for a 1" progressive spring drop that is hardly any stiffer then the oem springs on non adjustable dampners. Tokico D-specs on Tein 350Z H-techs would be a vastly superior choice, linear springs on a 1.3" drop with adjustable dampenrs all for about $780. The bilstein pss coilover system would also be a better choice, monotube dampners with height adjustablity for about $1200 shipped.