Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Brake Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 06:36 AM
yanotkaj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Question

I have the touring model with the non brembo brakes. I dont have the money right now for a bbk,but would like to upgrade the stock rotors and pads. I know about the Stoptech stage 2 kit. Are there any others out there? What are my options? Thanks for your help.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:30 AM
islandsnow

There's a lot of aftermarket parts, lots of companies make slotted or drilled or both, for a lot less then the brembo/stoptech type kits. All you probably need are some slotted rotors, some hawk hps pads and motul 660 brake fluid, maybe get some stainless brake lines, but that's about it. Unless you're tracking, this should be good enough, rotors roughly cost between 198-300 for the cheaper type slotted rotors a pair. These are gonna be single piece, nothing fancy except they are probably dipped in some rust proofing and slotted. My ebc's were 198 a pair, probably the cheapest, but probably not track dependable. But haven't had a single problem with the hawk/ebc setup for everyday street use. Here's a link to avalon racings touring model upgrade kit, it allows bigger rotors and hawk pads with the stock calipers. Anyways, lots of choices.

take a look at this link for the avalon kits.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....or+replacement

http://www.perfectbrakes.com

hawk pads from

http://www.cvrmotorsports.com/view_p...=HB370F-HB268F

Last edited by islandsnow; 12-19-2005 at 08:31 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-19-2005, 04:55 PM
jcpeyton

Do a search on this. There are at least two current threads on the subject w/ lots of members w/ experience w/ different combos responding. Check it out; good luck.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:50 AM
DZeckhausen

Originally Posted by yanotkaj
I have the touring model with the non brembo brakes. I dont have the money right now for a bbk,but would like to upgrade the stock rotors and pads. I know about the Stoptech stage 2 kit. Are there any others out there? What are my options? Thanks for your help.
What is your goal? Are you tracking the car? Are you autcrossing it? Just looking for better pedal feel and/or more aggressive bite? Are you looking for an aesthetic improvement?

Without knowing what you are trying to accomplish, it's not possible to make any meaningful recommendations. For example, high temperature brake fluid is a waste of money unless you are tracking the car.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:53 AM
yanotkaj

The car is my daily driver. Everyday normal use.Not tracking or autocrossing
Old 12-22-2005, 02:50 PM
DZeckhausen

Originally Posted by yanotkaj
The car is my daily driver. Everyday normal use.Not tracking or autocrossing
So you're looking for better performance? Do you care at all about brake dust?

You might want to install a set of stainless braided brake lines, such as StopTech's. That will firm up the pedal feel. If dust is not an issue, a set of Axxis Ultimate brake pads will give you better bite, better pedal feel, and better fade resistance. (Not that fade is a problem now.) Any DOT 4 brake fluid is fine. There's no need to spend $30 for a liter of Motul 600 Racing Brake Fluid when a $5 bottle of Valvoline SynPower DOT4 will do the trick. When bleeding the brakes, it's important to follow some of the racer's tricks, such as tapping the caliper with a rubber mallet to knock loose any air bubbles trapped inside. See: http://www.zeckhausen.com/bleeding_brakes.htm for some good bleeding instructions.