Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

big brake kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 02:51 AM
evobunny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big brake kit

here a stupid question. would it be bad to just get a big brake kit for just the front or the rear. If not, would be better to just get the front or better to get just the rear. Cause I want to get a big brake kit but dont think I can afford both. Unless someone know of some cheap but still good big brake kit, so I can get both.
Old 01-29-2006, 03:00 AM
roncfpz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Majority of your braking is handled by your front and many upgrade fronts only and leave rear stock.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:14 AM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go front only...
Old 01-29-2006, 07:17 AM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Originally Posted by evobunny
here a stupid question. would it be bad to just get a big brake kit for just the front or the rear. If not, would be better to just get the front or better to get just the rear. Cause I want to get a big brake kit but dont think I can afford both. Unless someone know of some cheap but still good big brake kit, so I can get both.
Yes you can. I have front only. Give Marty at Inject Performance a call. He will hook you up for one (Rotora or Stoptech)
Old 01-29-2006, 06:28 PM
Triple8Sol
Banned

You can do it, but it is much better to do the rears as well, to reduce the change in brake bias.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:18 PM
dirtroad

there's a thread here on the same topic where there was a link to stoptech's website. this link was an article basically saying that rear brake kits aren't necessary for 95% of the cars out there - this coming from a company that sells them!
Old 01-30-2006, 12:55 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Originally Posted by dirtroad
there's a thread here on the same topic where there was a link to stoptech's website. this link was an article basically saying that rear brake kits aren't necessary for 95% of the cars out there - this coming from a company that sells them!
yup.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:53 AM
WNM

does a big brake kit cange the offset at all or is it just clearance you hve to worry about
Old 01-31-2006, 09:21 AM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WNM
does a big brake kit cange the offset at all or is it just clearance you hve to worry about
The offset should be the same, provided the rotors have the same thickness at the hub.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:14 PM
StopTech
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by dirtroad
Here you go...
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...upgrades.shtml

You can do a front only StopTech kit because we change the piston sizing within the caliper to maintain brake bias.

Rear big brake kits are good for looks, easier pad changes, more pad selection, and oh, did I mention looks?
Old 01-31-2006, 12:44 PM
InjectedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Hit me up for stop tech quote. Have them in stock.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:22 AM
evobunny

should I go for stoptech or rotora or brembo
Old 02-03-2006, 12:54 AM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Will you be tracking your car? If so, I'd recommend Stoptechs or Brembo from your choices above since they are track proven. If not, what it will boil down to is $$$$. Most BBK or overkill for daily driving anyway.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:13 AM
roncfpz

IMHO, you can't go wrong with any of them but Stoptech certainly has a great reputation for track use.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:30 AM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

+1 on Stoptech for track use. If just for daily drive or bling bling purpose, any other will be fine.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:01 AM
evobunny

so you think stoptech will be to much for daily driving. I do alot of hard braking from time to time in town. but nothing like stuff on a track. so do you think I should stay away from stoptech for ease for a daily driver
Old 02-09-2006, 12:57 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Just a suggestion -

I was very close to purchasing a big brake kit. I researched it a little more and basically concluded that since I'm not that big on taking my car to the track (I've only been to one "performance clinic" event on a track), I should go with something more practical.

I have Hawk HPS / stock rotors at this moment but the HPS are not what I was looking for. So I'm doing a relatively cheap upgrade that should be good for the street (and still improve looks to some extent)...

the stoptech stage 2 brake kit. Should be here tomorrow or the next day. It's listed on the stoptech website as well as performance nissan parts. Pads, rotors, fluid, SS lines. I'm hoping it's going to be slightly better than stock, but I'll be very happy just as long as it's better than the Hawks. The Hawks weren't that friendly to some of my rotors, and I realized the labor in getting rotors machined is almost as much as buying brand new rotors (non-brembo). So the stage 2 was definitely the right kit for me. I really wanted a BBK but I realized the huge cost is not worth it just to do it for looks and once-in-a-long-while track events.

Our stock brakes are still really good for one huge "emergency" stop. This is a very good thing, because I cannot say the same for every car...for example, the civic with disc brakes front and drum brakes rear stops like **** during an emergency stop.

If you pick the right pads for stock brakes (not HPS) then they will bite hard and stop nicely.

If you can afford it, and you "gotta have" the look, go for it. And obviously that extra fade resistance and slightly shorter braking distance will not hurt to have.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:22 AM
StopTech
Vendor - Former Vendor

so you think stoptech will be to much for daily driving. I do alot of hard braking from time to time in town. but nothing like stuff on a track. so do you think I should stay away from stoptech for ease for a daily driver
If you are not tracking the car, a BBK is overkill for street use as you will not need the added heat capacity of the larger rotors. That being said there are some other benefits to adding a BBK that you will notice under every stop under daily driving conditions. When you upgrade to a fixed multi piston caliper, you are increasing the stiffness of the caliper by a significant amount which results in improved pedal feel and brake response. Another benefit is that when a caliper is moved further out on a rotor its torque output also increases. In order to keep the ideal brake balance maintained the overall piston area should be downsized to get the torque back to the level where the system will perform at its best. By having a smaller than stock overall piston area, less fluid will need to be displaced to acheive the same output which relates to even better pedal feel and brake response. One of the most common things we hear from our customers after they install a BBK is how much better the car feels under braking and how much more in control and confident they feel when driving. After going back to a stock car it is common for them to feel like the pedal is really mushy and needs too much input to get the same results.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:39 PM
barthelb
Master

I drive hard and I was in dire need of better braking. I did the Stoptech Stage II, stock (non) Brembo upgrade and it is really good. But, the initial cold braking sucked and the pads didn't last that long. Did i mention I drive hard.

I have since upgraded to the Front only 14.25" X drilled Stoptech BBK. I friggin love these things. Be prepared to stop better than 90% of everyone else so you'll hear a lot of "scrrerrrreeeeech" behind you, people staring and drooling at your brakes, and a lot of "Stoptech's rock man nice setup." If that doesn't bother you then go for it. Here's something to give you an idea
Attached Thumbnails big brake kit-014.jpg   big brake kit-010.jpg   big brake kit-011.jpg   big brake kit-012.jpg   big brake kit-013.jpg  

Old 02-09-2006, 02:52 PM
StopTech
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by barthelb
.... people staring and drooling at your brakes, and a lot of "Stoptech's rock man nice setup." If that doesn't bother you then go for it. ....
Nice setup!

In regard to what he said, you can always get black caliper to be low profile. Black caliper don't stand out as much.