Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Tokico Dspecs and Springs

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 04:36 PM
NiSmO D1X

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tokico Dspecs and Springs

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOKIC...spagenameZWDVW

These are pretty inexpensive, but i'm just wondering on the quality. Anyone have these installed? REviews?
Old 02-06-2006, 05:01 PM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Have the Dspec shocks. Great. Not the springs. Went with espieler active gt.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:19 PM
350ztoronto

i was also interested in that particular auction up until the seller never returned my emails really turned me off, a few of the vendors on here will met that price, if you do a search you find that alot of people like tokico not sure bout the spring either haven't heard of anyone usin it
Old 02-06-2006, 06:38 PM
350Zteve

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NiSmO D1X
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOKIC...spagenameZWDVW

These are pretty inexpensive, but i'm just wondering on the quality. Anyone have these installed? REviews?
The stock Z shocks are Tokico's, so the quality should be pretty good.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:38 AM
Mr.Jadkowski

picked up the same thing from *** imports for $550. Of course, they had to order it from japan, but as far as I can tell it's the same with all the other venders. I haven't heard of anyone else using the tokico springs; I may be the first!
Old 02-07-2006, 06:30 AM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr.Jadkowski
picked up the same thing from *** imports for $550. Of course, they had to order it from japan, but as far as I can tell it's the same with all the other venders. I haven't heard of anyone else using the tokico springs; I may be the first!
Did you have to transfer parts from your old shocks or was everything included? I am considering these with the RSR Ti2000 springs (I don't want much drop).

Chris
Old 02-07-2006, 06:57 AM
Mr.Jadkowski

dunno, they aren't here yet (like I said, they had to order them from japan... which *** imports didn't tell me about until two weeks AFTER I ordered them). But if the fronts come with the springs already installed on the shocks, that would be a snap! Not sure what you mean when you say transfering parts... which parts are you talking about?
Old 02-07-2006, 07:33 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pretty much totally positive your the the first and only person that will have them. $550 for shocks AND the springs is a really good deal.

G35 sedan 6mt
Koni coilover front 448lbs
Koni shock rear 342lbs
Hotchkis front bar set to med
350EVO rear bar set to med
Crawford plen
Custom TD injen
HF cats
K&N panel
Rogue short shifter
Enkei RPM2
MX 245/40-18 x 4
Old 02-07-2006, 07:36 AM
Gsedan35

dunno, they aren't here yet (like I said, they had to order them from japan... which *** imports didn't tell me about until two weeks AFTER I ordered them). But if the fronts come with the springs already installed on the shocks, that would be a snap! Not sure what you mean when you say transfering parts... which parts are you talking about?

Your kit is not going to come with the parts that he's talking about. Basically you will be reusing all the oem parts in the front that go on top of the front springs and in the rear you will be reusing the oem upper shock mounts/dustsheilds/bumpstops.

G35 sedan 6mt
Koni shock rear 342lbs
Crawford plen
Custom TD injen
HF cats
K&N panel
Rogue short shifter
Enkei RPM2
MX 245/40-18 x 4
Old 02-07-2006, 07:54 AM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
Your kit is not going to come with the parts that he's talking about. Basically you will be reusing all the oem parts in the front that go on top of the front springs and in the rear you will be reusing the oem upper shock mounts/dustsheilds/bumpstops.
I had read about that but could not remember exactly what was transfered. I think Performance Nissan sells a kit with all the normally transfered parts so you don't have to break down the stock stuff.

It's no big deal, I was just curious.

Chris
Old 02-07-2006, 10:29 AM
Gsedan35

Originally Posted by HyperSprite
I had read about that but could not remember exactly what was transfered. I think Performance Nissan sells a kit with all the normally transfered parts so you don't have to break down the stock stuff.

It's no big deal, I was just curious.

Chris
I know what your talking about from performance, it's marketed for those buying Tein basics. Basically it's a pair of front upper shock mounts. Since you don't get the oem front dustsheild/bumpstop's, your still faced with having to take the oem front shocks apart to get those item's anyhow. So you might as well just reuse your oem stuff anyhow.

http://performancenissanparts.com/ca...oducts_id=3532
Old 02-19-2006, 08:35 AM
overboostedtoy

check out the D-spec set at coximports.com; however, it did not ever mention about springs coming along w/the shocks or am I missing something? Have you gotten the set? Does it come w/springs and shocks?
Old 02-19-2006, 12:46 PM
Mr.Jadkowski

Well, it DID mention the springs, until I called them and told them that I only recieved the shock set. They took my number and said they'd call me back, but I never heard from them. Called again three hours later, explained the situation, and they said "it's only a shock set". I told them to check their page for the d-spec kit, and they told me it says it's only a shock set. So I checked it, and it had been changed from "Four adjustable shocks and four sport lowering springs" to just "four adjustable shocks".

Needless to say, I was pissed, and although I couldn't get them to admit they changed it, they are giving me a killer deal on a set of RS*R Ti2000 springs for my "trouble".
Old 02-19-2006, 03:45 PM
knight_white99

Originally Posted by gringott
Have the Dspec shocks. Great. Not the springs. Went with espieler active gt.
+1 for this combo. This is about the best overall combo that I have tried (and I have tried a few) that is comfortable on the street but still okay for the track. The D-Specs have a wide range of adjustment. The Espelir Active GT springs handle better than Eibachs, IMO.

However, I have currently switched to Tom Motorsport springs since they are stiffer - better on the track but perhaps a bit stiff for the street (500 lbs./in. front and rear).
Old 02-20-2006, 09:01 AM
overboostedtoy

Well, it DID mention the springs, until I called them and told them that I only recieved the shock set. They took my number and said they'd call me back, but I never heard from them. Called again three hours later, explained the situation, and they said "it's only a shock set". I told them to check their page for the d-spec kit, and they told me it says it's only a shock set. So I checked it, and it had been changed from "Four adjustable shocks and four sport lowering springs" to just "four adjustable shocks".

Needless to say, I was pissed, and although I couldn't get them to admit they changed it, they are giving me a killer deal on a set of RS*R Ti2000 springs for my "trouble".
that's bull! Somebody made a mistake and they're not willing to take a loss . I was about to jump on it til I read the description and did not see springs been mentioned. It's probably a good idea to have a print out of what has been ordered. But look at the bright side they did something to make up for their mistake.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:30 AM
Mr.Jadkowski

That's the only reason I'm not totally pissed. I was only getting the springs as an experiment; I figured I would change them out anyways. 375/375 is not the rate balance I was looking for. So the deal on the RS*Rs was a good way to make up for it. Besides, $540 and free shipping isn't such a terrible price for the d-specs by themselves anyways.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:29 PM
zredline

I found this on ebay is anyone familar with it? How do I find out what type of shocks they will fit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-06...29040562QQrdZ1
Old 03-26-2006, 04:16 PM
knight_white99

Thumbs up Tom Motorsport springs

Originally Posted by zredline
I found this on ebay is anyone familar with it? How do I find out what type of shocks they will fit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-06...29040562QQrdZ1
Yes, I have these springs. These are the Tom Motorsport coilover springs that I am running now. GREAT on the track. Best set of springs that I have tried so far. A bit stiff for the street though for most people.

These are straight rate (linear) springs of about 9kg/mm (500 lbs./in). About the same stiffness at Tein Basics.

If you use these on the Tokico D-Specs, you will need to grind the top collar on the shock, since the coil collar WILL NOT FIT over this feature. Took me about 10 minutes per shock with a grinder to do this.

I ended up even removing one of the rear collar perches and installed them upside down (metal part on top) in the rear (not sure if it is supposed to fit that way, but that is the way that it fits best) to gain a bit more drop.

If you are a track monkey with stock or aftermarket shocks, I highly recommend these springs.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:37 PM
Gsedan35

Originally Posted by knight_white99
Yes, I have these springs. These are the Tom Motorsport coilover springs that I am running now. GREAT on the track. Best set of springs that I have tried so far. A bit stiff for the street though for most people.

These are straight rate (linear) springs of about 9kg/mm (500 lbs./in). About the same stiffness at Tein Basics.

If you use these on the Tokico D-Specs, you will need to grind the top collar on the shock, since the coil collar WILL NOT FIT over this feature. Took me about 10 minutes per shock with a grinder to do this.

I ended up even removing one of the rear collar perches and installed them upside down (metal part on top) in the rear (not sure if it is supposed to fit that way, but that is the way that it fits best) to gain a bit more drop.

If you are a track monkey with stock or aftermarket shocks, I highly recommend these springs.

You do now that at 500lbs in rate you've stepped over the rate capacity that Tokco recommends as the rate limit for D-specs, which makes perfect sense given how much higher then oem that is. According to Tokico, they have a 400lbs-450lbs rate limit.

Originally Posted by knight_white99
Well, I guess the decision was made for me. I called Tokico directly (Thanks, John and Daveh - your responses made me check to be sure). They said that the D-Specs are only good for 400-450 lb. springs, max.

G35 sedan 6mt
Koni shock rear 342lbs
Crawford plen
Custom TD injen
HF cats
K&N panel
Rogue short shifter
Enkei RPM2
BfGoodrich KD
245/40-18
265/40-18
Old 03-27-2006, 05:29 AM
knight_white99

Yes, I know that the spring rate limit is somewhat exceeded (heck, I as you point out above, I am the guy who called them to find out what the limit was!). But my car is now a weekend car (not exactly a daily driver any more). Maybe I will put 4K to 5K miles per year on my car now. If the shocks wear out, I will replace them. For me, this combination is good enough that I will take that hit.

But 500 lbs./in. is still far less than the 680 lbs./in. (or whatever it is - can't recall) rate of the Nismo T2 springs I was considering. I can't imagine that the T2 springs are streetable, but the Tom springs are okay (stiff, but not unbearable on the street). So I will take the risk of premature wear since the combination is so effective. 500 lbs./in. is not THAT much higher than 450.

If I could have Tokico custom make a set of shocks I would do that, but I would think the price would be prohibitive, if they would do that at all. Part of the reason for buying the D-Specs in the first place was that they were an affordable alternative to expensive coilovers. With this combo of springs and shocks, you get near coilover performance for a fraction of the price.

Quick Reply: Tokico Dspecs and Springs