Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by enrique350Z
Thanks Halitosis,
Birds of a feather.......
Old 02-13-2006, 12:31 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wilwood Engineering has been providing the highest performing racecar disc brake systems to the racing industry since 1977.

Founder and president Bill Wood's first brake designs were developed to give big, heavy stock cars racing at short tracks and super speedways superior brake performance and greater reliability. These first brake components incorporated new design and manufacturing techniques and met with considerable success, helping to redefine the level of disc brake performance for race cars. With his engineering background, Wood quickly applied the new technology to a wide variety of motorsports applications, and by the early 1980's Wilwood had become one of the major suppliers of high performance disc brakes to the automotive racing industry.
They are quite popular with Muscle Cars, Hot Rods, & Track Cars.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:32 PM
Bullitt Beast

Depending on which Wilwood brakes you get, you may not want to run them on the street. I run Wilwood on my race car (see sig) and I would NEVEr use them on the street. Mine are the billet variety and will over heat if used on the street. Many of the lighter billet brake setups are for the track only. If you get the right type of setup then they would be fine. Personnally, I don't think you need them (a bit over kill) but hey, to each his own. Most of those types of brake kits are designed with a limited life cycle as well. I've been thru two sets of rotors on mine thru three seasons of racing. For an everyday street car they might be to much. Stay away from billet for the street though. I know people say they are fine and they run them but I have experience using billet brakes and can tell you right now, they won't last long and could fail if they get over heated and warped.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:34 PM
TK2005

WTF is your problem *******. acting all smart because you're behind a computer. My question was to find out the quality of the brake system, not some smart *** answer. It sounds like you're trying to be the expert here.
Oh, and I would appreciate it if you didn't call me a string of astericks because that hurts my feelings and violates the TOU of this site.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:34 PM
JSON

No one was trying to be a smart ***. TK2005 was just trying to point out the obvious and maybe help you not waste money (if you were interested in buying one). If you come on a forum with 20 posts and ask about a major brake company, with nothing specific in question, you will be perceived as a person without need for such high-end equipment. Oh yeah, and I'm sure TK2005 knows more than you about cars in general.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:59 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

People buy lots of **** they don't need. Nothing wrong with that, just because someone doesn't NEED something doesn't mean you can't TELL them about the product.

Let me try to go where this thread is headed, CIVILLY -

enrique350z, what kinds of driving do you do that made you interested in big brake kits? Do you go to the Track? AutoX? Street racer? Or you just like the look?

Originally Posted by Bullitt Beast
Depending on which Wilwood brakes you get, you may not want to run them on the street. I run Wilwood on my race car (see sig) and I would NEVEr use them on the street. Mine are the billet variety and will over heat if used on the street. Many of the lighter billet brake setups are for the track only. If you get the right type of setup then they would be fine. Personnally, I don't think you need them (a bit over kill) but hey, to each his own. Most of those types of brake kits are designed with a limited life cycle as well. I've been thru two sets of rotors on mine thru three seasons of racing. For an everyday street car they might be to much. Stay away from billet for the street though. I know people say they are fine and they run them but I have experience using billet brakes and can tell you right now, they won't last long and could fail if they get over heated and warped.
WTF, they will overheat on the street but not on the track? Does this theory hold any water? You're saying you don't drive fast enough on the street to get enough air to the brakes? Because obviously you're not braking as hard on the street as you are on the track, so you don't produce as much heat to begin with...

Oh yeah, from what I've read on the stoptech website it sounds like "rotor warping" is somewhat of a myth. What really happens, according to them, is that when the brakes are not used correctly or bedded in properly, you get uneven buildup of brake pad material. Then the uneven spots get extra friction because they protrude more, then those spots heat up more (uneven heating) which leads to a phase change in steel rotors to a much harder material (cementite). Then the problem just gets worse and worse ...

Last edited by Wired 24/7; 02-13-2006 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:10 PM
TK2005

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
People buy lots of **** they don't need. Nothing wrong with that, just because someone doesn't NEED something doesn't mean you can't TELL them about the product.

Let me try to go where this thread is headed, CIVILLY -

enrique350z, what kinds of driving do you do that made you interested in big brake kits? Do you go to the Track? AutoX? Street racer? Or you just like the look?

WTF, they will overheat on the street but not on the track? Does this theory hold any water? You're saying you don't drive fast enough on the street to get enough air to the brakes? Because obviously you're not braking as hard on the street as you are on the track, so you don't produce as much heat to begin with...
That's the kind of info that needed to be in the original post if he was wanting to be taken seriously. By the way, I just put my clear corners in and have a pop charger on the way. Does it actually pop? Also, what water/methanol injection kit do you recommend and will it work with a turbo kit?
Old 02-13-2006, 01:14 PM
TK2005

I also haven't heard of anything like this for street use. I know some pads and setups are for track use and require being brought up to temps to work correctly and that since they are never brought into the right temp range on the street are ineffective. I have never heard of them overheating during street use. Even then, that is related to the pad material more than the brake setup.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:28 PM
Bullitt Beast

I'm not talking autocross. Most if not all of the billet brake setups are for drag racing purposes only. They use a much thinner rotor and smaller diameter and will not last long with stop and go driving. Got to some of the manuf sites and read what they recommend. Most will tell you "Not intended for street use".
Old 02-13-2006, 01:31 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

I still like the ACME brakes
Old 02-13-2006, 01:58 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

you can avoild all of this buy just type in "willwood" at the search box. Tons of info. Here is the link for it.

https://my350z.com/forum/search.php?searchid=954212
Old 02-13-2006, 02:15 PM
TK2005

I'm not talking autocross. Most if not all of the billet brake setups are for drag racing purposes only. They use a much thinner rotor and smaller diameter and will not last long with stop and go driving. Got to some of the manuf sites and read what they recommend. Most will tell you "Not intended for street use".
Yea, I fully understand the "not for street use" aspect but I don't imagine they would overheat on the streets. Drag brakes are designed to be lightweight and small enough to fit under really small diameter wheels so you can fit huge tires back there. They don't have much braking power on the setups I have seen (for street use) but they are resistant to very high heat as they would need to be slowing you down from 180mph in a very short space. Most cars with those traps have a chute anyhow. I agree they aren't for street use but not because of overheating.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:47 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW, if you look at Wilwood's prices, the BBK for just the front is around $1700.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:56 PM
jakesford

Originally Posted by TK2005
Yea, I fully understand the "not for street use" aspect but I don't imagine they would overheat on the streets. Drag brakes are designed to be lightweight and small enough to fit under really small diameter wheels so you can fit huge tires back there. They don't have much braking power on the setups I have seen (for street use) but they are resistant to very high heat as they would need to be slowing you down from 180mph in a very short space. Most cars with those traps have a chute anyhow. I agree they aren't for street use but not because of overheating.
in most drag setups they actually have pretty high amount of braking force and yes, they do generate a lot of heat. The difference from a drag set up to street setup is mass, the street kit has considerably more mass in the rotor to absorb and dissipate the heat. A drag kit just has to apply a lot of braking force once, and then it has a large amount of time between runs to dissipate the heat. A street kit has to be able to do repeated stops without to much fade. Racing brakes are street brakes on steroids with large rotors that can handle repeated high speed stops and constant abuse.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:10 PM
angelzhope720

ww's are incredible stoppers
Old 02-14-2006, 03:36 AM
enrique350Z

Originally Posted by TK2005
My problem is you. I don't act smart because I am behind a computer. I AM SMART because I know these things. You made no attempt to to find the quality of the product because if you really needed the info, you would have searched online or at least asked in the BRAKES/SUSPENSION part of this forum. A better question would have been, "Are Wilwoods as good as XXXXbrand?" If you really needed Wilwoods and knew why you needed them, you could have searched their website to find performance stats and specs. You are now and always will be a poser ranking no higher than the Civic drivers w/BOV noise boxes.

for your ****ing information i owned a 350Z for past 2 years. you might want to come down to the Boston area so i can show it to you and punch you in the face at the same time. tell your mother to take a dick up her ***.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:10 AM
enrique350Z

Originally Posted by JaeZTT
No one was trying to be a smart ***. TK2005 was just trying to point out the obvious and maybe help you not waste money (if you were interested in buying one). If you come on a forum with 20 posts and ask about a major brake company, with nothing specific in question, you will be perceived as a person without need for such high-end equipment. Oh yeah, and I'm sure TK2005 knows more than you about cars in general.

JaeZTT, the only reason why i posted the question was because i didnt know any about the company that makes the brake system. A friend of mine owns a Auto Accessories shop and he was telling about it. I didnt post the question because i'm interest it buying them i only wanna to get some knowledge about Wilwood's brake system. I'm planning on upgrade to a big brake kit for my car. There is no reason why some should look down on another person just because they might be more knowledgeable about a certain product or products. The only reasoning that i see why he acted this is because of my username and that tells me he's a racist.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:48 AM
C Ray Z

Default Two Years Tracking Wilwood

I have the 350zbrakes package that uses the Wilwood 6pot front and 4 pot rear. They are a tremendous package. Like I said I have two years of tracking in temperatures up to 105 degrees air temperature. I could not be happier with the operation and the excellent quality. No problems at all with the system. Russel does a great job of support for this product.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:52 AM
TK2005

for your ****ing information i owned a 350Z for past 2 years. you might want to come down to the Boston area so i can show it to you and punch you in the face at the same time. tell your mother to take a dick up her ***.
LOL......Take it easy cowboy. I seem to have that effect on people. I don't care what you own. Plenty of people have cars that will never drive it to 10/10ths. I must commend you on your way with words and not losing your cool. I'll bet money that you wouldn't say things like that with an actual person standing in front of you. That's ok though, e-thug. If it makes you feel any better, I flinched just a little when I read that. The real world must be kicking your a$$ for you to have so much hostility like that. I guess the appropriate thing to do now is challenge you back so, "Come on down to Houston so I can punch you in the face and you can look at my car. You may also tell your mother to enjoy the pleasures of an **** excursion." LOL....hahahahaha

ME ->

me waiting for you ->

me if you get too close ->

me if I see you from a distance ->
me if you're not too far away ->

what I think of you ->

after I punch you in the face ->

me when I take your car to show you how to use it ->

my suggestion for your online use ->

Thomas (IN BEFOE DA )

Last edited by TK2005; 02-14-2006 at 08:03 AM.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:57 AM
TK2005

Originally Posted by jakesford
in most drag setups they actually have pretty high amount of braking force and yes, they do generate a lot of heat. The difference from a drag set up to street setup is mass, the street kit has considerably more mass in the rotor to absorb and dissipate the heat. A drag kit just has to apply a lot of braking force once, and then it has a large amount of time between runs to dissipate the heat. A street kit has to be able to do repeated stops without to much fade. Racing brakes are street brakes on steroids with large rotors that can handle repeated high speed stops and constant abuse.
Thank you.

Quick Reply: Opinion on WilWood disk brake?