Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Tein Flex and GTSpec Lateral Bar first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 07:14 PM
mrtomcat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tein Flex and GTSpec Lateral Bar first impressions

I just picked up my car from F1 Motorsport for the Tein Flex, EDFC install and yesterday I got the GTSpec Lateral Bar installed.

Here are my first impressions:

The Good:
The car looks great, the wheels look so much hotter now than before.
The car drives much better with the stiffer feel
I can change the settings while driving with the EDFC

The Bad:
I'm scrapping like a **** and I don't even have a body kit yet.
I'm a little worried since I'm getting the Nismo kit installed next week especially the front lip.
I also scrapped the rear when driving into our parking lot...I got to drive ultra careful now

Any advise on how to master the art of driving a lowered Z without scrapping is much appreciated!
Old 03-16-2006, 10:44 PM
mrtomcat

I just checked in the manual online if there is a way to adjust the height of the teins so that the car is not that low...and I noticed that it states: Off road use Only, not to be installed or driven on public roads...WTF???
That really bugs me, why can't they put that disclaimer anywhere on their site or on the box or elsewhere before one buys this product and in addition what makes it off road use only I wanted a suspension that makes my car safer not the other way around did I buy the wrong product???

In any case is it difficult/possible to adjust the height to not make it so low?
Old 03-16-2006, 11:14 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any advise on how to master the art of driving a lowered Z without scrapping is much appreciated!
45 degree when you get into ANY drive way. Do it slow. DOn't care of what other car behind think. It is your car.

btw. with coilover, you can adjust how low your car sit. Use the EDFC to raise it up.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:21 AM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesnt the EDFC adjust the shocks? If I remember correctly they have nothing to do with the ride height.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:48 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

the EDFC is for dampening only. However, the installer can adjust the ride height of the coilovers. Have them raise it a bit for you if it is too low for you.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:57 AM
mrtomcat

Second Day....Freeway driving....
Holy **** this is stiff, I actually got a bit sea sick on my way to work.
I changed to different settings while driving and making it stiffer actually ended up being smoother...I have it set to 10 in the front and 8 in the rear right now.
It feels great up to 55mph, above that you feel every bump in the road, not too happy with that but it might be a matter of getting used to.
The good side is that my steering has gotten stiffer and I have so much more control over the car's movement. That was the main reason I wanted these.
Coming out of the parking lot I srcapped the backend again, I figured out that that is the GT Spec bar since that is a bit lower.
I'm going to call F1 and ask them to raise the car a bit again.
Kinda amazing because the maximum it will be lowered is 20 mm which is still less than an inch.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:07 AM
350Zteve

Tom,

Post up some pictures of your car. It must be really damn low. I have the Flex and dropped the car about 3/4" and have no scraping issues, especially in the back.

If you find the spring rate too stiff, Tien makes softer springs for the Flex kit. You can go from the current 12kg/mm rates to 11 or 10.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:47 AM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Tom - You may want to raise your car up a bit otherwise the GT Spec ladder brace will rip off. The road conditions in Socal are very rough and I wouldnt be surprised if it happened one day. Remember we can do the suspension work here as well.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:56 AM
sentry65
the burninator

you mean the lateral bar can rip off right? not the ladder bar? I can't see how the ladder bar could rip off, just see it getting dented to death
Old 03-17-2006, 11:03 AM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally Posted by sentry65
you mean the lateral bar can rip off right? not the ladder bar? I can't see how the ladder bar could rip off, just see it getting dented to death
Well the way I see it, since it hangs down so low, especially with the car being lowered even more, if he is traveling at an average speed of 70+ mph on the freeway, hits anything or runs over any debris, there is a good chance that the ladder bar can rip off. The road conditions is Socal is just ridiculous, you should see the front of my car!
Old 03-17-2006, 11:26 AM
Nano

Originally Posted by Andy@Performance
Well the way I see it, since it hangs down so low, especially with the car being lowered even more, if he is traveling at an average speed of 70+ mph on the freeway, hits anything or runs over any debris, there is a good chance that the ladder bar can rip off. The road conditions is Socal is just ridiculous, you should see the front of my car!
Come drive in Montreal for a few days, you will love SOCAL roads.

We have suvs ripping off strut towers from the potholes... sport cars just dissapear never to be found again.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:34 AM
sentry65
the burninator

yeah I see your point.

I don't think the streets on phoenix are as bad as CA - driven them and know what you mean. I'm thinking the ladder brace will help protect the exhaust components under the car for going over speed bumps or curbs though. I'd rather hit the ladder bar than crack my cats or dent my exhaust
Old 03-17-2006, 11:44 AM
hurahn

Originally Posted by Nano
... sport cars just dissapear never to be found again.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:07 PM
mrtomcat

I already spoke to F1, I'm going back tomorrow to get the car raised.

Andy, since I have to get an alignment in 2 weeks I come to you guys for that also am hoping the get the SPC camber arms installed that day.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:17 PM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally Posted by mrtomcat
I already spoke to F1, I'm going back tomorrow to get the car raised.

Andy, since I have to get an alignment in 2 weeks I come to you guys for that also am hoping the get the SPC camber arms installed that day.
The SPC stuff should be in this afternoon. Tony or myself will give you a call once they arrive and we can set you up for a service appointment. Its a good thing youre raising your car and dont have a bodykit. It makes it even harder when your car is slammed and have a low hanging bumper to get the car on the rack!
Old 03-17-2006, 12:36 PM
mrtomcat

The SPC stuff should be in this afternoon. Tony or myself will give you a call once they arrive and we can set you up for a service appointment. Its a good thing youre raising your car and dont have a bodykit. It makes it even harder when your car is slammed and have a low hanging bumper to get the car on the rack!
well the body kit is coming on on tuesday, I hope that won't be too hard for you to get the car back on the rack
Old 03-18-2006, 01:18 AM
SCRoadster

Tom,

Are you getting any noises from the upper mounts ?
Old 03-18-2006, 12:49 PM
mrtomcat

Originally Posted by SCRoadster
Tom,

Are you getting any noises from the upper mounts ?
not that I'm aware of, why?
Old 03-18-2006, 02:06 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubble
45 degree when you get into ANY drive way. Do it slow. DOn't care of what other car behind think. It is your car.

btw. with coilover, you can adjust how low your car sit. Use the EDFC to raise it up.
EFC has nothing to do with rideheight

where did they set your rideheight? measure from the center of the wheelwell to the ground
Old 03-18-2006, 04:14 PM
mrtomcat

Just came back from F1, I had them raise the car back to stock height...doesn't look as cool but I no longer scrap.

Quick Reply: Tein Flex and GTSpec Lateral Bar first impressions