Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Pic Request - StopTech Brakes with zinc rotors

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 07:45 AM
IceBurnzTT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pic Request - StopTech Brakes with zinc rotors

Just looking for a BBK set of StopTechs with the gold zinc rotors. Color and size doesnt matter tremendously but 355mm 4 pot all around in Silver would be perfect. Anything will work I just dont think I've seen the actual brake system installed. Only the rotors separately via their site and other means.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:31 AM
StopTech
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The gold zinc will wear away on the friction surface and turn to the standard looking silver on the rotor. the zinc helps to reduce rust on the vane area and more importantly between the hat and rotor but that is really only an issue when the car is driven in the winter on heavily salted roads. Being that you are located in Vegas I highly doubt it will be an issue for you.

--Erik--
Old 05-19-2006, 12:20 PM
IceBurnzTT

So the zinc is prob just overkill given my conditions
Old 05-19-2006, 02:36 PM
Z CRUZN

Originally Posted by StopTech

The gold zinc will wear away on the friction surface and turn to the standard looking silver on the rotor. the zinc helps to reduce rust on the vane area and more importantly between the hat and rotor but that is really only an issue when the car is driven in the winter on heavily salted roads. Being that you are located in Vegas I highly doubt it will be an issue for you.

--Erik--
Or sitting in just rain......they rust like a **** when rain bouncing off the ground goes thru the wheel spokes & onto the rotors. When it's time to replace my existing StopTech rotors, it'll be with the zinc coated ones. Until then, I use a thin wire brush to keep the rust out of the vanes and the areas where the pads do not make contact (mostly the rears at the innermost surface area near the hat). No biggie........
Old 05-22-2006, 01:01 AM
heezyo2o

I was talking to an AP/Stillen rep and he mentioned that the gold/yellow color was a cadmium coating. The function was the same, but was the coating really zinc or does it depend on the brand?
Old 05-22-2006, 09:33 AM
StopTech
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends on the brand what type of coating is used. We use Zinc as it has a low environtmental impact. Other companies use cadmium which is known to be environmentally unfriendly and a carcinogen which is why we dont use it.