Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Slotted vs Drilled

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 09:35 AM
mrtomcat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nano
the reason why someone should upgrade to a big brake kit is the need for increased heat capacity on the track, where the stock setup can't handle the heat from the continuous braking cycles. The goal of the BBK not to reduce stoppind distances (which could actually end up being longer than stock ones).

if it's only for the drag, it's a complete waste of money. (actually, in theory it will hurt your performance, drag cars run the smallest brakes possible). A single stop from 120mph-20mph is not enough to worry about. Proper pads and tires is what stops you (faster/slower).

if it's for looks, it's another story
I'm not doin this for looks, trust me

My main concern is that back when I had my Track with Brembos I was able to control the car much better on the roll outs. Now with stock breaks I have to work quite a bit to slow the car down.

So what you are stating is that a upgraded brake system is not helping the slow down process...I find that hard to believe I would argue that there is additional break power needed on a car that's running more than doulbe the whp than stock
Old 06-21-2006, 09:50 AM
J Ritt

Nano's just saying that all braking is traction-limited by your tires. You don't necessarily reduce stopping distances by putting on a BBK. If the system is designed properly, all four tires are used optimally to slow the car. Brake pads with a higher temperature threshold will withstand the heat buildup, and will give you better bite. A BBK's greatest benefit is seen under repeated stops, as you would see on a road course.

The stiffer fixed calipers and ss lines reduce the amount of time to do work in the system, have less compliance, and they provide better control and modulation of the pedal. That's the benefit you will feel during a single stop, which is what you describe above with regards to the Track Model brakes vs. the base brakes.

Read this article to gain a better understanding of the concepts:http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...lections.shtml

Last edited by J Ritt; 06-21-2006 at 09:53 AM.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:37 AM
mrtomcat

thanks, for clearing that up.

I was told though that if I only upgrade the brake pads that they will burn through the stock calipers in no time.
Correct or not?

and if correct what's the solution?
Old 06-21-2006, 10:52 AM
Kolia

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Assuming you can get the ABS to kick in with the stock system. Mounting bigger rotors and pads will not yield shorter braking distance. The limitation is still at the tire/asphalt interface, and that is mostly affected by tire/wheel choice and suspension setup. The braking technique will also influence the end result of course.

So, unless you can get the brake pedal to the floor and not lock up the front wheel with the OEM system, a BBK will not help stopping faster.

The weight of the BBK will slow you down at the drag strip anyways. Do you really want that?

Like I said. Go head and get the kit, it’s a good upgrade that enhance the feel of the car as well as the appearance. But for a “brake once in a while” situation, it is not the perfect answer. Unless you do have super sticky tires up front and a suspension to limit the weight transfer under braking, the performance advantage will be marginal at best.

Ah, J Ritt beat me to the reply…

No, provided you don’t get race pads, they won’t destroy your rotors.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:10 AM
Nano

Originally Posted by mrtomcat
thanks, for clearing that up.

I was told though that if I only upgrade the brake pads that they will burn through the stock calipers in no time.
Correct or not?

and if correct what's the solution?
If you want a sensible upgrade for the dragstrip, just get stainless steel lines, it will make a nice difference in pedal feel. You might also want to pick a pad that has a nice cold stopping bite.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:46 PM
barthelb
Master

Ive never tracked mine and all i had was the front 14" StopTech bbk with SS lines and Motul fluid.
It stopped way shorter than my stock brakes, I could apply the brakes and it would come to a stop where I only had to tap the brakes when I had the BBK.
I understand what you guys are trying to explain but to the driver that doesn't understand the technicality of it, yes it does make it feel or is actually stopping quicker. Not to mention the confidence you gain in your vehicle.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:39 PM
mrtomcat

If you want a sensible upgrade for the dragstrip, just get stainless steel lines, it will make a nice difference in pedal feel. You might also want to pick a pad that has a nice cold stopping bite.
what pads would you recommend?
Old 06-21-2006, 10:39 PM
mrtomcat

Originally Posted by barthelb
Ive never tracked mine and all i had was the front 14" StopTech bbk with SS lines and Motul fluid.
It stopped way shorter than my stock brakes, I could apply the brakes and it would come to a stop where I only had to tap the brakes when I had the BBK.
I understand what you guys are trying to explain but to the driver that doesn't understand the technicality of it, yes it does make it feel or is actually stopping quicker. Not to mention the confidence you gain in your vehicle.
wisely said...

damn it now I don't know what to do
Old 06-22-2006, 03:13 AM
Kolia

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL. Most mods are like that!

I'm sure you wouldn't regret it. It will improve the car, the feel, the whole driving experience. You know it, you've had a Track with the Brembos.

I was doing the devil's advocate just to highlight that, for drag racing, it's not a must have.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:29 AM
bokone

Any BBK with larger/heavier calipers and rotors will hurt acceleration (and deceleration) with the added unsprung weight, and the further that weight is from the center (e.g. heavy tires) the worse the problem. The added stopping "feel" you get with the BBK is in part due to much larger pad/rotor contact. So you need to push less. But the only way a BBK gives shorter stopping distances is after repeated HOT stops. So the first may be longer than stock but the tenth shorter. As far as pads for the drag strip on the stock calipers, check out www.hawkperformance.com
Old 06-22-2006, 04:40 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

mrtomcat: Have you checked out the StopTech OEM Stage 2 kits: https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension/196921-stoptech-stage-2-stock-caliper-upgrade-kit.html
Old 06-22-2006, 11:30 PM
mrtomcat

Originally Posted by Robert_K
mrtomcat: Have you checked out the StopTech OEM Stage 2 kits: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=196921
these look like the way to go, I sent a pm to stoptech to get more info
Old 06-22-2006, 11:39 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://mynismo.com/products/?id=2966

stop tech stage 2 kits... great upgrade for street driving or even aggressive driving...
Old 06-22-2006, 11:44 PM
mrtomcat

Originally Posted by Jason@Performance
http://mynismo.com/products/?id=2966

stop tech stage 2 kits... great upgrade for street driving or even aggressive driving...
Jason will this fit on my 15" slicks?
how much do you guys charge for the install and do you have it in stock?
Old 06-23-2006, 07:18 AM
Nano

stoptech stage 2 seems like a good upgrade for what you want.

it uses the same rotor size and the stock calipers, so I think clearances will be unaffected.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:33 PM
mrtomcat

looks like this won't work for me since you need 17" wheels and since I'm running 15" slicks in the rear this one is out

I guess I need to just get pads and maybe the ss lines
Old 06-23-2006, 08:32 PM
Nano

17" wheels is minimum because of the front (they assume you run same size wheels on all 4 corners)

If you run a 15" wheel only in the back, you can go smaller than 17" as the brake assembly is much smaller... ask stoptech for clerance information, but I believe they are exact same as OEM.

BTW... stoptech also as a stage I upgrade that only include brake pads, ss lines and brake fluid. If your current rotors are still good, this would make more sense. You don't really need to change rotors.

That, or buy a set of quality street pads(hawk HPS), goodridge SS lines and some brake fluid

Last edited by Nano; 06-23-2006 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:00 PM
mrtomcat

17" wheels is minimum because of the front (they assume you run same size wheels on all 4 corners)

If you run a 15" wheel only in the back, you can go smaller than 17" as the brake assembly is much smaller... ask stoptech for clerance information, but I believe they are exact same as OEM.

BTW... stoptech also as a stage I upgrade that only include brake pads, ss lines and brake fluid. If your current rotors are still good, this would make more sense. You don't really need to change rotors.

That, or buy a set of quality street pads(hawk HPS), goodridge SS lines and some brake fluid
Stoptech are the one who told me I need 17" all around.

I guess I go with the Stage I. I am just a bit worried about breaking the rotors with the other pads
Old 06-28-2006, 02:43 PM
J Ritt

Stage II kit uses rotors that are the same size as stock...if the stockers fit, the Stage II kit will fit.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:11 PM
mrtomcat

Originally Posted by J Ritt
Stage II kit uses rotors that are the same size as stock...if the stockers fit, the Stage II kit will fit.
yes stockers fit.

soo I guess wer're back to stage II

Quick Reply: Slotted vs Drilled