Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Ceramic Brake Pads??

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 02:35 PM
AZZGUY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ceramic Brake Pads??

I will soon need new brake pads. I understand that the ceramic pads don't throw dust like the stock ones do. What is your experience as to wearing qualities of the ceramic and have you been happy with them??? What are the disadvantages of ceramic.? I was told at Nissan they only install stock Nissan pads. Although the service rep did tell me that BMW autos come with ceramic pads. I would appreciate your input.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:54 PM
maxpowers

I'm interested in this too. Don't take this as fact because I just heard it somewhere, but I heard they tend to squeek more. Can anybody speak to this?
Old 06-22-2006, 02:59 PM
lex350

+1
Old 06-22-2006, 03:00 PM
bmac03z

I thought the Z's had ceramic pads stock.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:03 PM
pezeveng319

Ceramics from what i know dont have nearly the same level of brake grip as say a composite pad. So they shouldn't be used for tracking and such aggressive driving. But dust levels are VERY low virtually no dust... I dont get too much noise from braking but then again i have them only on the rears... If you want better pad wear, check out the frozen rotors from tire rack. The freezing process which likely uses liquid N2 to rearange the molecules of the metal, to make the rotor more even over all and provide better braking..
Old 06-22-2006, 03:05 PM
350ZREDLINE

i believe the factory brake pads are semi metallic?
Old 06-22-2006, 03:20 PM
NiSmO21z

I have the Hawk Hp ceramic pads. Love them, Have no problems with them. Feel alot better then stock and def better on lesser brake dust. Funny cuz I'm goin to change my rear today with hawk hp pads as well. I believe many of Z owners on here use the Hawk pads. Unless they go with a whole new brake setup.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:43 PM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pezeveng319
check out the frozen rotors from tire rack. The freezing process which likely uses liquid N2 to rearange the molecules of the metal, to make the rotor more even over all and provide better braking..
I read an article recently that showed this cryo-treating process does absolutely nothing on brake discs. May be of some benefit to parts that aren't subjected to such high heat conditions, but not brakes.

Found an excerpt:
Cryogenically Treating

Last year a top race team bought 4 rotors. Two were bone stock, and two were subjected to a process know as Cryogenically Treating - one of the high-tech buzzwords floating around the paddock. The rotors were run back-to-back on the same track on the same car on the same day with temperatures taken to make sure that they saw the same level of heat. Following the track session, the parts were removed and we had them literally dissected by a materials lab.

The testing conducted included surface hardness, grain structure analysis, density, and surface scanning with an electron microscope. Guess what - after seeing the heat of use, the rotors looked identical in every regard. This is not to say that there is not a benefit from treating other parts that see lower temperatures and/or have different material properties. However, treating the rotors on the racecar showed no tangible benefits (note that it didn't seem to hurt anything either). Come to your own conclusions…

Last edited by MustGoFastR; 06-22-2006 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:34 PM
AZZGUY

Default HawkHP ceramic Pads

Originally Posted by NiSmO21z
I have the Hawk Hp ceramic pads. Love them, Have no problems with them. Feel alot better then stock and def better on lesser brake dust. Funny cuz I'm goin to change my rear today with hawk hp pads as well. I believe many of Z owners on here use the Hawk pads. Unless they go with a whole new brake setup.
Glad to hear that. I now have 28000 on my car - so you can see I'm not really bad on brakes . Taking it in for an oil change tomorrow and they will tell me how the pads are. I may not need them yet - but want to be prepared. Did you order your pads on line? Best price?? I dont do a lot of real quick stopping - but do want them to be there when I really need them. Reliability is number one - but being a dry climate - dont get a wash job every 2 or 3 weeks always - and still getting quite a lot of dust on those wheels. Thanks for the input - need all I can get. That is what makes this site so interesting.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:55 PM
OP Z

Hawk HPS on bay for $55 shipped...stop great and wheels stay clean. I wish I would have installed them 20,000 miles sooner.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:11 PM
Fletch69z

Hawk HPS are great pads. I highly recommend them based on my experience with them.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:14 PM
z33roy

I have Hawk's "Performance Ceramic" pads (not the "HPS", which i think is not ceramic compound) installed about 3 months ago for the front wheels.

First, the amount of dust being generated is extremely low (about the same level as the stock rear pads or maybe less).

The down-side is significantly lower grip than the stock pads. Ironically, i like it because the stock pads were a bit too grippy for my taste (yes, i drive very gentle )

Another thing i want to point out is that the pads squeal when cold (like when you first start driving the car in the morning). But it goes away as soon as the pads get warm (after about 2 or 3 stops) so it doesn't bother me at all.

So if you're really sick of brake dust and don't mind slightly less grip, try the ceramic pads. Hope this helps.

Last edited by z33roy; 06-23-2006 at 12:29 AM.