Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Brake Bias - Front to Rear

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 02:51 PM
-EL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Bias - Front to Rear

I'm pulling a quote from another thread here, I did a search on brake bias/balance on here and came up empty -

Originally Posted by J Ritt
Nano's just saying that all braking is traction-limited by your tires. You don't necessarily reduce stopping distances by putting on a BBK. If the system is designed properly, all four tires are used optimally to slow the car. Brake pads with a higher temperature threshold will withstand the heat buildup, and will give you better bite. A BBK's greatest benefit is seen under repeated stops, as you would see on a road course.

The stiffer fixed calipers and ss lines reduce the amount of time to do work in the system, have less compliance, and they provide better control and modulation of the pedal. That's the benefit you will feel during a single stop, which is what you describe above with regards to the Track Model brakes vs. the base brakes.

Read this article to gain a better understanding of the concepts:http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...lections.shtml
As J Ritt points out above, the shortest stopping distance is achieved when all four tires are doing max effort to stop the car. However, from what I understand, the stock brakes are somewhat front biased to keep people from spinning their cars when braking hard in corners. I am most likely exaggerating this problem because I have 265s on all four corners instead of the stock 225/235 stagger.

So my question is, which brake kits will bring the car closest to a neutral braking balance? Stoptech shows a chart, but it lists "Stoptech 4 wheel Kit" as a single point on their chart. Does this mean all their full 4 wheel kits are built for neutral balance? Many other BBK makers don't indicate anything for balance, meaning they haven't tested it or they just don't think it's a major selling point. Rotora says they "use the stock master cylinder to maintain stock brake balance" but I was under the impression that the piston diamater in the calipers is just as important. But if they are going to maintain the stock setup, I'll still have too much braking up front.

Anyone track their BBK and have suggestions? I'm leaning towards the Stoptechs right now, since they have obviously done their homework, but if there are others I should be considering, I'd love to hear them!

-E
Old 06-29-2006, 05:23 PM
Sisith

I dont know about stoptech but rotora uses the stock master cylinder keep brake bias from front to rear stock. That all may change with say a 6-pot caliper to a 4-pot caliper but I believe that the same amount of pressure is applied regardless of the number of caliper pistons. I read a stoptech article that said that on their kits the 4-pot caliper pistons were bigger that the pistons in the 6-pot caliper. The only benefit to more calipers is a bigger area of pressure, not the amount applied. So I believe that upgrading to a bbk will not affect front to rear bias, just the effeciency of the pressure applied and the heat dissipation
Old 06-29-2006, 08:03 PM
dklau33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Piston amount, piston sizing, rotor diameter, brake pad radial height, brake line pressure, master cylinder size, and coeffecient of friction of the brake pad material all contribute to brake bias.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:58 PM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Not all of Stoptech's BBK's are balanced. Their 4 wheel kits that consists of the ST40 front and ST45 rear will have more of a front bias but this was their very first kit that was released for the Z. The ST40 front with ST22 rear will give you the most well balanced kit out there. No BBK will give you 100% balance but Stoptech's kit will be the closest one. This kit gives a neutral torque output to both front and rear.

STOPTECH BBK
Old 06-29-2006, 10:41 PM
-EL

Originally Posted by Andy@Performance
Not all of Stoptech's BBK's are balanced. Their 4 wheel kits that consists of the ST40 front and ST45 rear will have more of a front bias but this was their very first kit that was released for the Z. The ST40 front with ST22 rear will give you the most well balanced kit out there. No BBK will give you 100% balance but Stoptech's kit will be the closest one. This kit gives a neutral torque output to both front and rear.

STOPTECH BBK
Well, right now on their website they have 3 different kits available with ST40 front and ST22 rear, and one kit with ST40 front ST45 rear. I was actually leaning towards this last one because I thought it would be the LEAST front biased... since it comes with larger rear rotors and four piston calipers in the rear, compared to smaller rotors with 2 piston calipers on all the other kits. I realize the number of pistons or size of rotor doesn't necessarily mean more braking force, but why put big 'ol rotors back there if you're planning on doing LESS work in the rear instead of more?

-E
Old 06-30-2006, 07:17 AM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally Posted by -EL
Well, right now on their website they have 3 different kits available with ST40 front and ST22 rear, and one kit with ST40 front ST45 rear. I was actually leaning towards this last one because I thought it would be the LEAST front biased... since it comes with larger rear rotors and four piston calipers in the rear, compared to smaller rotors with 2 piston calipers on all the other kits. I realize the number of pistons or size of rotor doesn't necessarily mean more braking force, but why put big 'ol rotors back there if you're planning on doing LESS work in the rear instead of more?

-E
In my opinion, I think Stoptech released that ST40/ST45 kit is the same reason why they came out with a 6 piston front caliper; bling factor. The ST45 kit will slightly shift bias but the ST22 kit is better balanced. ST40 caliper and the new 6 piston caliper has about the same amount of torque output.

FYI- The master cylinder has nothing to do with balancing.

Last edited by Andy@Performance; 06-30-2006 at 09:19 AM.