Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Question about brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 03:46 PM
bghoward

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about brakes

My car has reached that inevitable point we all must face - it's time for me to replace my brakes. My car has about 21k miles on it and I have probably about 3000 miles left on my front pads. I talked to the dealership about it a couple of days ago, and they informed me that the front rotors are too worn to re-surface so I will have to replace them.

Now they quoted me $400 to do the job. I am usually a cheap skate when it comes to these things so I usually do it myself. I started looking around and I think I can do the job myself using OEM parts (Non-Bremobo by the way) for about $250-300. But what's the fun in going OEM. I started looking around at doing at least upgraded rotors, pads, and brake lines but by that point we are talking about $500 or so...and if I'm going to spend that much I might as well go with something like the arizonazcar 4-pot caliper upgrade for about $1000.

Here's the deal I've only been on a track once (other than dragstrip) about 2-3 months ago and absolutely loved it. I've been kinda busy lately and so I haven't had a chance to go back, but I would like to get more into that stuff. I did 4 x 30min sessions on an unusually cool day for Texas (~90F) and towards the end of the session I noticed my brakes were noticably worse than when I started out. This probably contributed to needing new front rotors at 21k miles.

I won't kid myself I probably won't do a lot of tracking, maybe 1-3 times a year if I'm lucky. I like the idea of having a BBK, I like the looks, and I hope I will have the opportunity to like them on the track, but...I know I'm probably not experienced enough for a BBK to make a big difference on a track and they will probably not make much difference if any on the street.

The question is should I just upgrade the pads and brake lines, but stick with stock rotors -- should I upgrade pads, rotors, and lines, -- or should I go for the budget BBK kit?
Old 06-29-2006, 03:55 PM
Durden76

When original components eventually fail on my cars I alway try to replace them with higher performance and quality parts than the OEMs. If I were in your position and had the money to do it, I would go for the Wilwood BBK. It's affordable (compared with AP, Brembo, Stoptech etc.) and a proven performer. The AZ kit looks like a good one and I am considering it when I reach the point you are at now. If you're still on the fence about the BBK at least upgrade to SS lines, Motul RBF fluid and a slotted rotor.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:02 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even if you don't go to a new caliper setup, I'd take the opportunity to move to a slotted or drilled rotor and something like the Hawk HPS pads. I don't know if you're aware of the track benefits of slotted/drilled rotors, but it's worth some research if you have the time.

I wouldn't use stock pads again simply because they dust so badly. I've heard the HPS pads are MUCH better about dusting. If the BBK is in your "to do list" of mods, and you can budget it, I say go for it. BBK with nice rotors and pads is an all around great upgrade.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:16 PM
Ztalker

http://www.mahdavimotorsports.com

i found some nice drilled and slotted rotors for a reasonable price here.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:21 PM
bghoward

I know slotted and drilled rotors are going to be a big improvement, but when I start looking at the $500+ price range I think I'd almost rather get the BBK. Another option that I've looked into in the past is getting a set of used OEM Brembos from another Z. I've talked to a few junk yards about getting a good deal on a set, but the best offer I've had so far is $1500 for the rotors and calipers as is. The problem is at that price I would rather get something new without the risk of a damaged caliper, etc, I was hoping to find something more like $800 for used OEM brembos.

I pretty much have about $1000 of play money right now burning a hole in my pocket that I know I'm going to spend on my Z. The question is should I blow it all on the brakes or go the cheaper brake upgrade route and also get something else for the Z?

Also if I do go with something like the arizonazcar BBK, should I worry much about front/rear brake bias?

I know it's probably a stupid idea and probably won't work because of the parking brake mechanism, etc, but has anyone tried moving the stock front brakes to the rear? And even if it could work do you think it would create too much rearward bias?
Old 06-29-2006, 04:41 PM
bghoward

Originally Posted by Ztalker
http://www.mahdavimotorsports.com

i found some nice drilled and slotted rotors for a reasonable price here.
They have a pretty decent price, but not a lot different than what I have already seen. They are price about $220 for a pair of front rotors call it $250 including shipping, throw in brake pads for about $100 for the front and another $100 for SS brake lines and I'm still looking at around $450. If I get some caliper paint throw in shipping for pads and SS lines and we're talking $500.

I hate being on the fence with this decision.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:51 PM
Ztalker

i don't think they'd get any cheaper than that....just DIY and save on the cost of labor.