Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

adjusting ride height of zeal function xs

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 10:54 PM
dza00

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adjusting ride height of zeal function xs

Hey everyone, so I installed my cusco A = arms today and in the process thought why not just adjust the ride height also. So me and a friend are trying to figure out how to adjust it with this "dual perch" system.

I suggest keeping the bottom perch (all the way at the bottom of the shock) tight with one wrench while wrenching the other perch (attached to another circular piece and the spring). When we wrenched the perch attached to the spring without locking the bottom one it seemed like the shock was just turning and not adjusting the ride height.

I think we screwed my car up because it does look slightly lopsided (i did only one side). Does anyone who has zeal's know how to get the settings back to stock? since we did a combination of the 2 methods I have no idea of the exact # of turns we made.. but it was something like 3/4 of a revolution to the right.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:50 AM
anotheraznguy

did you take any measurements?
Old 07-06-2006, 01:37 PM
Brian@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

It sounds like you're adjusting the height via the spring perch which is a big no-no. The perch is strictly for adjusting spring preload and the lower bracket/lock is what you should use for adjusting the height. The bracket/lock will adjust the entire length of the coilover.
If you're trying to get the spring preload to the zero setting, just get it back to where the spring has no play between the upper mount and the spring seat. If you're looking at the overall length of the whole unit, you need to take off each coilover and measure them accordingly to see if there are any differences between them. If you need the official measurements, I would have to ask Endless to find that out. My advice is you should just set the spring perch to the zero setting and then measure and adjust the rest of the coilovers to match each other and lower to the specs you like. Then you'll be good to go.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:38 PM
dza00

I haven't taken any measurements... so i was adjusting spring pre load? Does this in effect increase the spring rate. I showed my brother, who has hks coilovers on his g35, the wheel well and he said it shouldnt do anything to the coilover.

But when i was performing the "mod" it damn sure sounded like the spring was being compressed. Took it for a drive just now and it seems fine... gonna do some measurements just to be safe though.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:18 PM
anotheraznguy

why dont you take it to our shop...
we are in milpitas.
we could help you out.. since you are in atherton which i believe is peninsula side.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:32 AM
Brian@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

When you adjust the spring perch and compress the spring, you can/will be limiting the stroke of the shock and changing the overall characteristics of the coilovers.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:15 AM
supershick

i've been reading the manual on installing Tein Flex coilovers. i'm a little confused about the section where you adjust the ride height. there are 2 figures that we must measure as "references". if we adjust the ride height, won't those references change as we adjust any kind of height?

It says "A" should be 435mm. If you adjust the ride height, won't that length decrease? I don't quite understand what the "referencing" means in the instructions. can anyone lend any insight?

This goes for the Endless Zeal coilovers too. Because I know they work the same way. thanks guys =D
Old 07-07-2006, 09:59 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is for the damper case adjustment...

Where you measure from say the bottom of the case to the upper spring seat or to a fixed point that will not move once the case length is adjusted...

This way you can put what ever amount of pre-load or not on the spring and freely adjust ride height...

TEIN recommends certain height setting out of the box... I believe that is the recommended length from tein for the out of the box drop that they advertise at around 1" but you can adjust from there...
Old 07-07-2006, 04:35 PM
dza00

I think I have the right idea on what to do now. I'll need to reset the spring preload on the shock I was messing with. I may go get my car corner weighted after lowering. Thanks for the offer anotheraznguy, do you guys do corner weighting over at auto rnd?
Old 07-07-2006, 04:39 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, part of corner ballancing the car is having pre-loads set... so you may want to just leave the whole thing to who ever you have set up your suspension... sounds like they are just going to have to re-do it all...

make sure you either sit in the car whilethey do it or weight down your drivers seat with your weight... but im sure who ever you go to will do that for you...

not sure where to sugest you take it sorry :-/
Old 07-12-2006, 10:39 AM
anotheraznguy

there is only 2 shops up in norcal bay area that do corner weight..
but you really should'nt need it unless u are going extreme track!!!