Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Brembo vs stop tech or Rotora Big Brake kits

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 11:26 AM
photo2u

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Brembo vs stop tech or Rotora Big Brake kits

I am in the market to get a big kit. I have been looking at three companies.

Which is the best for the money.

Please advice,

George from Pasadena,

Last edited by photo2u; 07-20-2006 at 12:23 PM.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:04 PM
MyNismoRoadster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by photo2u
I am in the market to get a big kit. I have been looking at two companies.

Please advice,

George from Pasadena,

Stop Tech is far better deal, they offer high quality brake kit for alot less money then a comparable brembo unit. you can check out all the brake offerings here: http://www.mynismo.com/categories/?id=2313 and call for best pricing.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:27 PM
J Ritt

Brembo, all the way. I'd comment about why I think our system is the best value...but in doing so, I'll be crucified for being 'cocky' and for putting other brake systems down. Therefore, I'd recommend doing a search on the topic. This has been hashed out countless times on this forum (and others).

My advice: Do your homework and research. In addition to initial purchase price, look at the long term cost of ownership (replacement part prices), flexibility of the kit (brake pad and rotor options), customer support, and how satisified existing owners are with their kits, etc. Also, don't buy any more than you need. In other words, you don't have to get a four wheel six piston kit if you're just going to be cruising around on the freeway (unless you want to just look like a total badasz ). For many/most people, a properly designed 13" front kit is more than sufficient for street and track duty.

Good luck. If you have a specific technical question about StopTech kits, feel free to ask any of your flight attendents located at the exits here, here, and there.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:08 PM
photo2u

Default bbk

Friends,

Thank you for all your imput.

George from Pasadena,
Old 07-20-2006, 04:38 PM
Row2K

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by J Ritt
Brembo, all the way. I'd comment about why I think our system is the best value...but in doing so, I'll be crucified for being 'cocky' and for putting other brake systems down. Therefore, I'd recommend doing a search on the topic. This has been hashed out countless times on this forum (and others).

My advice: Do your homework and research. In addition to initial purchase price, look at the long term cost of ownership (replacement part prices), flexibility of the kit (brake pad and rotor options), customer support, and how satisified existing owners are with their kits, etc. Also, don't buy any more than you need. In other words, you don't have to get a four wheel six piston kit if you're just going to be cruising around on the freeway (unless you want to just look like a total badasz ). For many/most people, a properly designed 13" front kit is more than sufficient for street and track duty.

Good luck. If you have a specific technical question about StopTech kits, feel free to ask any of your flight attendents located at the exits here, here, and there.
nicely said
Old 07-20-2006, 04:45 PM
VN_350z
Banned

Brembo for good quality, name brand, reliable, little pricey
Stoptech for good quality, good customer service and price is little less than Brembo
Not sure about rotora.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:50 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

the best for money would be Rotora since their price is the lowest.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:57 PM
Oleg

Originally Posted by photo2u
I am in the market to get a big kit. I have been looking at three companies.

Please advice,

George from Pasadena,
On a street you won't feel much difference from any BBK.
Wilwood is least expensive (does not reflect on quality).
Don't rule out Greddy/Grex or AP racing either...
Old 07-20-2006, 05:01 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

if you need BBK for bling then Rotora. If you're going to track it then Stoptech and if money is not an issue then Brembro.

You don't even need BBK in the first place.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:17 PM
636Racer

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrembooooooooooooooo!

See if anyone is selling their Track Brembo brakes. IMO, they're plenty good...and even better if you use sloted or x-drilled rotors and s/s brake lines.

Unless you're highly competative or into Bling, then it's entirely up to you. Though I'm kinda partial to Brembo in either category.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:26 AM
photo2u

Friend,

Thank you so much for all of your informative comments,

I thinking, based on member feedback that I am beginning to lean towards the stop tech,

George from Pasadena,
Old 07-21-2006, 12:09 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a track model Z with brembos and after thinking a lot about it, I don't go to the track constantly to justify ditching the brembos for a bigger kit. Tracking this car is just too expensive compared to lighter cars with smaller tires and brake rotors. I mostly drive my car on the street, so I decided to upgrade my lines, pads and rotors and call it a day. That and bigger rotors slow down your accelleration.

It's the pads thay make the biggest difference with stopping anyway. All the low dust pads suck IMO - i've tried them, didn't like having my Z stop like it was a pickup truck.

For hardcore track driving where you go to the track quite a few times a year - or if you just gotta have the bling, then I'd get a BBK
Old 07-21-2006, 12:20 PM
dkmaxitus

Originally Posted by sentry65
I have a track model Z with brembos and after thinking a lot about it, I don't go to the track constantly to justify ditching the brembos for a bigger kit. Tracking this car is just too expensive compared to lighter cars with smaller tires and brake rotors. I mostly drive my car on the street, so I decided to upgrade my lines, pads and rotors and call it a day. That and bigger rotors slow down your accelleration.

It's the pads thay make the biggest difference with stopping anyway. All the low dust pads suck IMO - i've tried them, didn't like having my Z stop like it was a pickup truck.

For hardcore track driving where you go to the track quite a few times a year - or if you just gotta have the bling, then I'd get a BBK
+1 i'm just planning on getting new pads and lines.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:55 PM
AznIceRckt

I believe that any well made and designed brake kit from a recognized brand is good enough for all but the professional driver.

Choose your pads to match how you drive, make sure your tires are good enough to stop for your braking setup.. and you should generally be satisfied in your investment.

Saying Rotora is for show is incorrect. If you attend a NASA or other organized racing event, you will see people running Brembo's, AP's, Stop-Tech's, Wilwoods, Rotoras, Baer, stock brakes, etc. etc.

My main quibble with Stop-tech is that I felt they were more expensive in relation to other "newer" brands in the industry, such as Rotora or Racing-Brake. (Although Stoptech's product does appear to be better)
Old 07-22-2006, 03:58 PM
AznIceRckt

George- Stoptech is also quite close to Pasadena. Should be useful if you need extra parts or advice.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:01 PM
MyNismoRoadster

A important factor everyone leaves out is that there is more to brakes then to just making it bigger or slapping on universal calipers onto a big rotor, part of the cost of bigger brakes like stop tech, brembo, AP etc is specific engineering is put into each kit for the particular application. Caliper Pot size, rotor diameter, thickness, hat design, and specific disc size in relation to rear brakes, brake master cyl size, etc all have to be accounted for before making a proper brake kit. Some brake makers just assume slapping on a oversize rotor and or caliper on a car will make it brake the best, there is much more to it then that......
Old 07-23-2006, 10:58 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

certainly cannot go wrong with any of them, but here is some subjective info from someone who has used all of them on a Z (me )

1. Stoptech - I've used both the 4 and 6 piston kits - very good feel in both, very fairly priced relative to what you get. Have yet to have one packaged missing anything (ie their QC is excellent). TONS of pad options

2. Brembo - I've used both track setups, and the GT setups. Again, excellent feel with the supplied pads. The most expensive of the options you are considering. QC once again excellent (nothing missing, everything well packaged). Tons of pad options

3. Rotora - good value for dollar. Overal pedal feel is no where near as nice as the above 2 kits. Feels spongy by comparison to the other 2 (has a more stock type feel). QC is ok, though they have been known to misbox items, or send incorrect parts for the application (has happened to me a couple times so far). Not as many pad options.

4. AP - my personal favorite, but honestly for no particular reason other than a wide array of pad choices and it's sort of become "tradition" for me on my last 4 cars. Also good bang for the buck relative to what you get IMHO

That's my take on it, having used the above on Z's since '03.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:16 AM
o snap its eric

no wilwood experience?
Old 08-01-2006, 03:15 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I only know of one local customer running Wilwoods, but I dont think he tracks the car, so could not say how it holds up over time. They certainly are big in the industry but it's a "pieced together" kit (meaning someone created it, not Wilwood),and as I recall, no dust shields
Old 08-01-2006, 03:22 PM
plumpzz

One thing I can advise you on, is buy froma company based in america. Quality control and customer service is often FAR more important than price or immediate enjoyment of the product- especialy with saftey equipment such as brakes

Quick Reply: Brembo vs stop tech or Rotora Big Brake kits