Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Air Suspension Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 09:15 AM
universalAirSus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BhashaZ
So you have to have a coil-over setup for this to work? What about install/warranty?
No, you can use the factory shocks. The kit is a bolt in installation and we give a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty. However we have road tested at over 100k miles and cycle tested at over a million cycles.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:19 AM
BhashaZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by universalAirSus
No, you can use the factory shocks. The kit is a bolt in installation and we give a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty. However we have road tested at over 100k miles and cycle tested at over a million cycles.
So do I use only factory shocks and ditch the springs? If so, the adjustability only come from the air suspension?

Sorry for so many questions, but I'm really intrigued by this!
Old 08-11-2006, 09:20 AM
BhashaZ

Please keep in mind that i am not trying to put down that product because I haven't personally tested the unit.

Same principal design by not sealing against the shock. From what i can see it looks like an air cylinder type design of our air bag. If it is the main key down fall is that the life will be shorter due to a moving seal inside, However its not your primary suspension so the use is not as much as our system is.

You probably will only have an up and down position, nothing in between. Also the travel is very short.

No adjustable spring rate.

Some advantages i see with their unit is that if you just need a couple of inches to lift the front up to clear a drive way it will work for what you need.
Thanks for the objectiveness. Not very many companies will list the pro's/con's of BOTH products.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:27 AM
universalAirSus

Originally Posted by 350Zenophile
How much weight does a system like this add to a vehicle?
The entire system weights about 80 lbs. However you will have a light reduction in weight because you will be removing the coils that weight about 30 lbs. I would say that it will add about 50 lbs. However your moving suspension parts will be lightened by about 15 lbs because the bags weigh less then the coils
Old 08-11-2006, 09:29 AM
sen_jen

^ good info. i really love Bold World. i'd probably consider you folks though for an LS430. got any apps for that vehicle???

are your products compatible with Stance Coilovers????

Last edited by sen_jen; 08-11-2006 at 09:32 AM.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:29 AM
universalAirSus

So do I use only factory shocks and ditch the springs? If so, the adjustability only come from the air suspension?

Sorry for so many questions, but I'm really intrigued by this!
You can use the factory shocks or an aftermarket shock or even an aftermarket coilover. You will just be replacing the coil with the bag. The adjustability will come from the air bag. However if you had an adjustable shock in there also you would be able to adjust your dampening.

No problem, i am here to help!
Old 08-11-2006, 09:32 AM
universalAirSus

Thanks for the objectiveness. Not very many companies will list the pro's/con's of BOTH products.
Your welcome. I am not here to bad-mouth everyone else's product to try and sell mine. I know that our product will speak for itself.

I like to think that everything was designed for a certain purpose in mind.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:36 AM
universalAirSus

Originally Posted by sen_jen
^ good info. i really love Bold World. i'd probably consider you folks though for an LS430. got any apps for that vehicle???

are your products compatible with Stance Coilovers????
Yes we do have for the LS430. However its not as "easy" of an install. There is some modifications to the struts inorder to install. If you have the coil-overs it would be alot easier (dont have to cut off the stock spring pearch).

We havn't tested on the Stance, However if the pressure tube (large part of the shock) is 2.14" or smaller the bag will slide over it.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:38 AM
Life Goes On

It all depends on what type of product you install and how its installed.

Most likey they removed the front shocks and used like a firestone style bag and it will make it very floaty and soft. Not your ideal performance machine.

Did they install a front/back or independent control system? That will drastically reduce your performance if it was only front/back. Air will transfer from one side to the other.

Ya it was a firestone style bag.. Actually the more i think about it,
id like to bag my z.. Im mosty into the look of my z, and not trying
to race it out..

And yes my s10 at the time was front/back/ss... Fun little truck, got alot of attention when i was in highschool.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:39 AM
BhashaZ

Maybe another dumb question, but what about camber/toe (alignment)? Will this system retain those settings? I realize that once you slam your car, it will probably camber in and produce additional negative camber, but once you raise it back to "normal" height, will the aligment be back in spec? Basically I would want to set my suspension settings a certain way for the "normal" height, and after I raise it back after slamming it (or lower it back after I raise it), I would want it to be back in spec. (hopefully that makes sense)

PS: You guys should put a link to your website as your signature. Here it is for people who want to find out more: http://www.universalairsuspension.com/
Old 08-11-2006, 09:39 AM
universalAirSus

Lol, Well... You can have both

Originally Posted by Life Goes On
Ya it was a firestone style bag.. Actually the more i think about it,
id like to bag my z.. Im mosty into the look of my z, and not trying
to race it out..

And yes my s10 at the time was front/back/ss... Fun little truck, got alot of attention when i was in highschool.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:41 AM
universalAirSus

Exactly! You have the vehicle aligned at your ride height. It will camber when you drop, but when you lift back up it will be correct.

Thank you for that. I spaced it... lol

Maybe another dumb question, but what about camber/toe (alignment)? Will this system retain those settings? I realize that once you slam your car, it will probably camber in and produce additional negative camber, but once you raise it back to "normal" height, will the aligment be back in spec? Basically I would want to set my suspension settings a certain way for the "normal" height, and after I raise it back after slamming it (or lower it back after I raise it), I would want it to be back in spec. (hopefully that makes sense)

PS: You guys should put a link to your website as your signature. Here it is for people who want to find out more: http://www.universalairsuspension.com/
Old 08-11-2006, 09:41 AM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist
Premier Member

This looks very interesting to me, lifting for speed bumps and driveways would be nice.

Do you have any shots of the rest of the equipment (compressors whatever) so we can get an idea of what type of mounting options we have?

Chris
Old 08-11-2006, 09:50 AM
universalAirSus

Originally Posted by HyperSprite
This looks very interesting to me, lifting for speed bumps and driveways would be nice.

Do you have any shots of the rest of the equipment (compressors whatever) so we can get an idea of what type of mounting options we have?

Chris
Here is a shot of everything.

The tank is 8" diameter 24" long. The compressors are 11.5"L x 4.3"W x 6.5"H

Those items will need to be mounted into the trunk. The valves are mounted under the car and the switch box will be up in the cabin area.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:59 AM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm a little confused obviously this allows a user to raise or lower the car at will but what are the performance aspects? I mean i doubt these are anything close to traditional coils in terms of performance and am i right assume that these are more geared toward the show/street z's more than improving performance? Before people start flaming which i expect, but in all seriousness what would attract Z owners to replace thier traditional coils/ expensive coilover coils other than height adjustment on the fly? Don't get me wrong that in itself would be extremely useful but if i had to scrafice performance of my coilovers in order to adjust height, i'd rather just take the time to be careful around speedbumps and driveways.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:20 AM
universalAirSus

Originally Posted by Vq.turbo.DremZ
I'm a little confused obviously this allows a user to raise or lower the car at will but what are the performance aspects? I mean i doubt these are anything close to traditional coils in terms of performance and am i right assume that these are more geared toward the show/street z's more than improving performance? Before people start flaming which i expect, but in all seriousness what would attract Z owners to replace their traditional coils/ expensive coil over coils other than height adjustment on the fly? Don't get me wrong that in itself would be extremely useful but if i had to sacrifice performance of my coil overs in order to adjust height, I'd rather just take the time to be careful around speed bumps and driveways.
Its actually geared toward both Performance and Show. If you do just a direct replacement on a high end coil over without any tuning it will be virtually identical to the coil. Because at that height you will now be at the same spring rate on the bag as the coil would be.

When you are driving on the spring there is a difference though. A good high-end coil will have a progressive rate to it. which is fixed by the spring manufacture.

Now with the air spring its very similar because it does have the progressive rate as you compress it down it will progressively get stiffer as you go down. But one thing that the air spring will have over the coil is that its also dynamic. When you compress it faster (i.e. large bump or higher speed) more air will be trapped inside the bag and can not move into the line between the bag and the valve. Causing an even stiffer spring. The faster its collapsed, the more air trapped inside. Therefore making it a dynamic progressive spring.

As far as tun-ability of the bag you can move the valves closer for a more progressive spring rate or further for a less progressive spring rate. Also you can adjust the bag up and down on the coil over for your ride height and more or less pressure for your starting spring rate.

Now this is compared to a high-end progressive coil. Against the stock coil it will perform allot better (less body roll/bottoming out) because it will be dynamic progressive.

So, to make a long story short and how it will relate to everyone is there will be less body roll, less actual suspension travel over the same bump (wavy), and increased high speed handling over stock, and no performance losses over the high end coilover.

90% of users will just replace the coils and love the handling and ride quality. Few of the track racers will tune the suspension around what they are looking for. (two race teams in Japan are currently doing the tuning.)
Old 08-11-2006, 11:07 AM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Are you willing to have some of the track guys on the boards try it out and have them compare your system to thier current/traditional coilover system. I'm not trying to be an ******* or anything but i'm finding it somewhat hard to believe that this particular air bag setup can be similar in performance to trad. coilovers. I'd love to have the ability to adjust the height but again at what sacrafice. I am very impressed with the customer support and answering everyone's questions as well as the professionalism that you portray and whether or not these air bags can keep up with coilovers, i give a ton of respect for you, the company, and your product.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:22 AM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Oooooo...this is very interesting!
Old 08-11-2006, 11:49 AM
universalAirSus

Originally Posted by Vq.turbo.DremZ
Are you willing to have some of the track guys on the boards try it out and have them compare your system to thier current/traditional coilover system. I'm not trying to be an ******* or anything but i'm finding it somewhat hard to believe that this particular air bag setup can be similar in performance to trad. coilovers. I'd love to have the ability to adjust the height but again at what sacrafice. I am very impressed with the customer support and answering everyone's questions as well as the professionalism that you portray and whether or not these air bags can keep up with coilovers, i give a ton of respect for you, the company, and your product.
I would be willing to sell them just the bags and brackets, hook up a schrader valve at each corner for a manual fill and easy to test. If it doesn't perform then i will accept them back for a full refund.

Thank you for that! We try to focus for quality customer service and excellent product!
Old 08-11-2006, 11:51 AM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

I would be willing to sell them just the bags and brackets, hook up a schrader valve at each corner for a manual fill and easy to test. If it doesn't perform then i will accept them back for a full refund.

Thank you for that! We try to focus for quality customer service and excellent product!
Wow! Quick...someone jump on these to test them out!

Quick Reply: Air Suspension Questions