Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

StopTech + Project Mu = Braking Satisfaction

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 08:44 PM
Sr. Panza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up StopTech + Project Mu = Braking Satisfaction

Just thought i'd share some quick feedback with you guys... I just had StopTech slotted rotors along with stainless steel lines and Project Mu NS pads installed on my Z through Street Image here in So. Cal today. I have the OEM Brembo setup and after some research decided to upgrade to this combination.

Aside from looking just plain sexy the combo seems to work very well. There is definitely a noticeable difference in brake feel and response. They seem to grab much quicker than before and the initial bite feels much more distinct. I haven't experienced any of the 'squeak' that people complain about with the NS pads either. Maybe because they're not completely broken in? Anyhow, overall I have a sense of greater control all around which is what I was looking for. I'd definitely recommend this combination for people looking for a slightly more agressive street setup. I would also definitely recommend dealing with Eric at Street Image if you're here in So. Cal. After playing a little bit of phone tag he got me a good price and was a real pleasure to work with.

And now...on to the Motordyne MREV2 + 5/16" Spacer...!
Old 09-06-2006, 08:46 PM
wldkatz03

pics please! What did you end up paying for these?
Old 09-07-2006, 09:12 AM
ZPirate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

The stainless steel lines make a huge difference in feel as do the pads with bite. Did you get the two piece rotors with aluminum hats? They are much lighter than the stock rotors.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:18 AM
Sr. Panza

wldkatz03: PM'd

ZPirate: I just got the regular one piece rotor. How much lighter are the ones you mentioned?
Old 09-07-2006, 09:29 AM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally Posted by Sr. Panza

ZPirate: I just got the regular one piece rotor. How much lighter are the ones you mentioned?
Approximately 20%. PMU 2 Piece rotor is even lighter.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:36 AM
ZPirate

I don't know the exact weights, but the 2 piece rotor should weigh anywhere from 15% to 30% less than the 1 piece rotor. I don't have the Brembos on my car, but when I got my BBK the 13.1" 2 piece rotors that came with my kit weigh several pounds less than the stock 11" rotors. StopTech makes a 2piece replacement rotor for the Brembos like the ones that come with its BBKs, that is why I was asking you if that is what you got.

The other good thing about the 2 piece rotor is that you can replace just the rotor and not the hat when you wear it out or it cracks.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:38 AM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally Posted by ZPirate
I don't know the exact weights, but the 2 piece rotor should weigh anywhere from 25% to 50% less than the 1 piece rotor. I don't have the Brembos on my car, but when I got my BBK the 13.1" 2 piece rotors that came with my kit weigh several pounds less than the stock 11" rotors. StopTech makes a 2piece replacement rotor for the Brembos like the ones that come with its BBKs, that is why I was asking you if that is what you got.

The other good thing about the 2 piece rotor is that you can replace just the rotor and not the hat when you wear it out or it cracks.
Weve already done the math, compared to the factory BREMBO rotor to the STOPTECH 2 piece rotor is about 20%, not 25% to 50%. The PMU 2 piece rotor is actually lighter than the STOPTECH 2 piece rotors.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:55 AM
ZPirate

Originally Posted by Andy@Performance
Weve already done the math, compared to the factory BREMBO rotor to the STOPTECH 2 piece rotor is about 20%, not 25% to 50%. The PMU 2 piece rotor is actually lighter than the STOPTECH 2 piece rotors.
Sorry my weights appear to be off although I was editing my post when Andy did his post to reduce the percentages. All I know is that 2 piece rotors are lighter than the 1 piece rotors of equal size.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:59 AM
Sr. Panza

You guys seem to be comparing the weights between the stock brembo rotor and the 2 piece stoptech rotor. I was wondering about the weight difference between the 1 piece stoptech vs. the 2 piece stoptech rotor. I'm keeping this setup for a while but it would be good to know just in case I switch them out down the line.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:09 AM
ZPirate

You guys seem to be comparing the weights between the stock brembo rotor and the 2 piece stoptech rotor. I was wondering about the weight difference between the 1 piece stoptech vs. the 2 piece stoptech rotor. I'm keeping this setup for a while but it would be good to know just in case I switch them out down the line.
Andy can probably give you the exact weights, but I suspect the difference between the StopTech 1 piece and the StopTech 2 piece is about the same as the OEM vs. the StopTech 2 piece.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:58 AM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally Posted by ZPirate
Andy can probably give you the exact weights, but I suspect the difference between the StopTech 1 piece and the StopTech 2 piece is about the same as the OEM vs. the StopTech 2 piece.
If I had to guess I would have the same assumption as you as we do not have weight specs from the 1 piece rotor.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:10 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

+1 for pics
Old 09-07-2006, 01:25 PM
Sr. Panza

I'll try and take some pics for you guys before the weekend. I'm just really swamped with work right now.

EDIT: I took a couple of quick pics. Sorry my wheels are so dirty. One is of the front and the other is of the back.
Attached Thumbnails StopTech + Project Mu = Braking Satisfaction-dsc01793.jpg   StopTech + Project Mu = Braking Satisfaction-dsc01795.jpg  

Last edited by Sr. Panza; 09-09-2006 at 10:52 AM.