Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Megan Racing Big Brake Kit...anyone got it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 08:43 PM
MIAPLAYA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL All true!!
Old 10-06-2006, 07:40 PM
BJF2K

Originally Posted by Zexy
Wouldn't you be embarrased rocking a brake kit with "MEGAN racing" on it?

I would refuse to have that on my car.

EDIT: And after seeing that video of that Megan Z crash? **** that. lmao.
haha true that, but the crash happened before they came out with the BBK.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:03 PM
blue06z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BBK test phase. Hopfully some improvments were made.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:38 AM
abui01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most newbs believe, "bigger the better" but there is a lot more R&D into manufactering a BBK other than a gigantic rotor and oversized calipers.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:29 AM
Peking

Originally Posted by plumpzz
funniest part is that on their website, they have the yellow Z that crashed.
Discussed elsewhere there were those who stated that happened near the end of the run/race... That their car was doing good before hand...

It isn't like cars using bigger brand names ever wrecked on the track lol.

Anywho, everyone has to start somewhere... Not all of the big name brands we know of now started that way.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:13 AM
thirty5ounces

Originally Posted by DJ SMITTY
megan racing...you get what you pay for.

for example, test pipes that last half a day before cracking.

-Derek
im going on 4k with my test pipes
Old 10-16-2006, 07:10 AM
wtf no turbo

A couple a pistons in an aluminium case isnt rocket science. I think brakes are way overpriced to start with and im glad wilwood and megan are offering some more cost effective alts. Look at the braking differences on a 6 piston stoptech to a stock set up. For 2500 bucks its laughable. Now for track abuse thats something different
Old 10-16-2006, 07:28 AM
Havok_RLS2

Originally Posted by wtf no turbo
A couple a pistons in an aluminium case isnt rocket science. I think brakes are way overpriced to start with and im glad wilwood and megan are offering some more cost effective alts. Look at the braking differences on a 6 piston stoptech to a stock set up. For 2500 bucks its laughable. Now for track abuse thats something different
+1.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:30 AM
JamMasterW

Exclamation

Originally Posted by thirty5ounces
im going on 4k with my test pipes
im going on 9k with my test pipes. sound and feel is still there. no cracking, just a lil rasp that i dont mind.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:41 AM
GReddySetGO
Banned

You could always powdercoat the calipers so it didn't say Megan Racing on it...
Old 10-16-2006, 02:03 PM
Todd TCE
Sponsor
TCE Performance Products

A couple a pistons in an aluminium case isnt rocket science. I think brakes are way overpriced to start with and im glad wilwood and megan are offering some more cost effective alts.

While that is somewhat true, remember that there's more to the whole brake kit (and lots of other parts) than just the materials and manufacturing.

Most calipers are produced in various piston bore sizes so that means more cores cast for specific apps. When you deal with differential bore parts (Wilwood six pots, Stoptech 4s and some others) you have to produce mirror images of each part or FOUR individual parts to make the pair of two caliper. This is due to the bore placements.

Add to this cost, the inventory to "carry" the kits/parts and all the advertising and such it takes to make the word go 'round and costs are far greater than they first appear. Same can be said for a lot of things.

I've been called over priced at times on kits I've produced. Someone goes to Summit.com and sees they can buy a caliper for $150, pads for...blah,blah,blah....and I'm out to rape them. But take into account some R&D time, specifics of a kit you cannot order from Summit, advertising, overhead etc.etc. and it adds up quick. Parts cost plus 10 won't cut it.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:08 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

but that's exactly what a big brake kit is for - if you're looking to shorten your 60-0 times one stop at a time, get better tires and put the car on a diet because those are the only 2 factors involved (weight and friction).

A BBK does not stop your car faster - it allows the same stop to repeated over and over and over without fade.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:19 PM
WA2GOOD
Banned

I personally will be trying out these Megan Racing brakes and racing coilovers for them soon (probably this weekend) on the track at Cal. Speedway's infield on a car I am preparing for the upcomming Redline Time Attack. If there is any flaw in the craftsmanship, quality of materials, or praportioning (f to r) I will suerly find out quick.
We will see how it goes.....
Old 10-20-2006, 08:36 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by WA2GOOD
I personally will be trying out these Megan Racing brakes and racing coilovers for them soon (probably this weekend) on the track at Cal. Speedway's infield on a car I am preparing for the upcomming Redline Time Attack. If there is any flaw in the craftsmanship, quality of materials, or praportioning (f to r) I will suerly find out quick.
That will be interesting.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:56 AM
GReddySetGO
Banned

Yes, keep us updated!!
Old 10-23-2006, 12:21 PM
JamMasterW

Question

so how'd it go how'd it go!?!? yay or nay
Old 10-23-2006, 12:28 PM
noodleman

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z
If any site sponsors that carry Megan want me to test these out, I would be more than happy.
considering how much work you've done to you car, it'd be painful to test something that seems unreliable on your car, especially one that you need to depend on.

testing these almost sounds like if you want to run with tires that have no grip. I think i'll stick with the motto "you get what you paid for" in this case.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:52 PM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Thumbs up testing results for Megan Racing BBK

Well here it goes...

Street testing
These brakes where installed on my FI'ed G coupe (for testing purposes) the day before going to the track (Calif. Spdwy.) to torture test them. They felt great on the street, nice pedal feel, good balance, and there was no noise whatsoever. I drove quite a bit that day and night making several hard braking off-ramp stop after stop... still flawless.

Track testing
I ran 3 full 20 min. sessions with these brakes. First off I know Calif. Speedways Roval and infield tracks very well and can account for any imperfections/ improvements in the cars equipment.

--The first session I ran the car in was GREAT, I continually leaned hard on the brakes lap after lap and saw absolutely no room for improvement at all. I pulled in and inspected them and everything looked great.

--The next two 20 min. sessions I ran back to back in the advanced and the intermediate groups. Now that I have built up my confidence in these brakes, I thought I would really abuse them in these duel 20 min. sessions (without a break) I was really leaning on the brakes extra hard and they seemed to withstand my constant HARD braking abuse. I did FINALLY over heat the high temp DOT4 racing brake fluid in the rear brakes, causing the fluid to boil and the loss of pedal at the hardest braking area of the track. After bringing the car in towards the end of the (back to back) second session, I inspected them and found the fronts to look GREAT still and unscaved, as for the rear, the calipers had a slight disscolorization on them and the white writing on the sticker had turned a little yellow due to excess heat.

This result is not IMO a flaw in these particular brand of brakes. We have experienced problems with ALL of the high dollar BBK on these cars, and most problems were worse than this one. I am confident if it was not for my constant abuse in trying to break, or find a flaw in these brakes that there would be no problems. I am very hard to please and I find myself pleasently surprised about the overall result of these brakes. I give Megan Racing's BBK a 9.75 out of 10 for this kit, and taking in consideration the price of the kit, wow what a bargain.

--Scott

Last edited by WA2GOOD; 10-23-2006 at 01:56 PM.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:52 PM
GReddySetGO
Banned

Wow, that is great news!

I'm glad there are people out there like you willing to venture out and try new things so that everyone can learn off your experiences. Megan Racing is a fairly new/cheap company with not much reputation around. Some people are too quick to jump the gun and call them bad w/o having any real experience with them. Every company has to start somewhere. Good writeup.

Last edited by GReddySetGO; 10-23-2006 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:26 PM
MIAPLAYA

Well here it goes...

Street testing
These brakes where installed on my FI'ed G coupe (for testing purposes) the day before going to the track (Calif. Spdwy.) to torture test them. They felt great on the street, nice pedal feel, good balance, and there was no noise whatsoever. I drove quite a bit that day and night making several hard braking off-ramp stop after stop... still flawless.

Track testing
I ran 3 full 20 min. sessions with these brakes. First off I know Calif. Speedways Roval and infield tracks very well and can account for any imperfections/ improvements in the cars equipment.

--The first session I ran the car in was GREAT, I continually leaned hard on the brakes lap after lap and saw absolutely no room for improvement at all. I pulled in and inspected them and everything looked great.

--The next two 20 min. sessions I ran back to back in the advanced and the intermediate groups. Now that I have built up my confidence in these brakes, I thought I would really abuse them in these duel 20 min. sessions (without a break) I was really leaning on the brakes extra hard and they seemed to withstand my constant HARD braking abuse. I did FINALLY over heat the high temp DOT4 racing brake fluid in the rear brakes, causing the fluid to boil and the loss of pedal at the hardest braking area of the track. After bringing the car in towards the end of the (back to back) second session, I inspected them and found the fronts to look GREAT still and unscaved, as for the rear, the calipers had a slight disscolorization on them and the white writing on the sticker had turned a little yellow due to excess heat.

This result is not IMO a flaw in these particular brand of brakes. We have experienced problems with ALL of the high dollar BBK on these cars, and most problems were worse than this one. I am confident if it was not for my constant abuse in trying to break, or find a flaw in these brakes that there would be no problems. I am very hard to please and I find myself pleasently surprised about the overall result of these brakes. I give Megan Racing's BBK a 9.75 out of 10 for this kit, and taking in consideration the price of the kit, wow what a bargain.

--Scott
Scott,
Thanks for the excellent review of the brakes. I'm curious if you will be keeping them on the car (albeit with new pads if needed) for another track session. I know I was personally interested more so in their ability ti withstand frequent abuse. Not saying that your torture session did not properlly test the brakes. But rather I wonder how they will hold after two or three more session like that. Thanks again!
Rob

Quick Reply: Megan Racing Big Brake Kit...anyone got it?