Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Eibachs in stock...Some installed pics on a Lemans

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 09:52 AM
12SecZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Hey Doh!

cost, and availability for me.

I know that SLP (Street Legal Products) uses this combo and it gets rave reviews. I had the SLP setup on my FireHawk (a 5k upgrade) and it handled like a dream so for me it's sticking with something I know works at a 3rd of a cost.

I have had my car on the lift several times and the sways seem like a pretty good design, personally (and don't flame me) I think they will work with my Eibach/ Bilstein combo well.
There also is sort of a Sub Frame Connector under there too (something usually aftermarket.)

So where Nissan excelled in some areas it cut corners in others (again just my opinion from standing under my car on a lift.)

I would do just springs (should be here today) but I have a feeling that the shocks are an issue to and it's just easier to do both at the same time, cheaper too. I think the outcome will be very good.
Old 03-17-2003, 11:00 AM
Qbnmissile

Wondering what brand of shocks/struts people are going to use. I'm looking at Eibach springs and would prefer to replace springs and shocks at the same time. I've contacted a few suspension distributers who say there isn't a specific strut/shock application for the Z. Is this true, and if not, who makes 'em for the Z? Thanks...
Old 03-17-2003, 09:39 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info guys. I can respect your feelings on the suspension issues. I do feel that we did indeed recieve a high performance suspension, but I also definitely find that "bounce" annoying, and if the fix is a simple as a modified spring then I can see why you'd be miffed at Nissan. Seems like a little extra design time up front would have created a much better car.

I can also understand sticking with what has worked in the past. We do this all the time on our own products, mainly because you already know most of the issues with that part/supplier, and therefore know how to fix them. When you move to something new you have to prepare yourself for an entirely new set of problems.

I hope Nismo will be bringing kits here at a reduced cost and a greater availability, but if not, then I'll have to look more closely at what you all have been doing.

Please post your driving impressions once you have the installs complete!

-D'oh!
Old 03-20-2003, 10:50 AM
Todd@ProDyno

So...after a bit over a week, what are your impressions?
Old 03-20-2003, 01:52 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Todd:

Do you think it is best to get new shocks when putting on the Eibach springs? Some people say lowering the car makes the shocks wear quicker. Give feedback and recommendations, thanks, Jeff
Old 03-20-2003, 01:56 PM
Todd@ProDyno

Shocks would certainly be recommended on a larger drop..1.5" +.

Of course the added stress of being dropped 1.2 & 0.8" will take "some" life out of them...but maybe by 10%.

Shocks & struts will be out soon.
Old 03-20-2003, 02:03 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

I would do these in a second if it wasn't concerned about getting in my driveway. I have one of those curb step ups into a slope, and I'm scared I'd get these things then scratch up the nose the first time I go in.

The $220-$250 cost of 4 springs would be a great deal to fix the bounce. I'm just not sure about the driveway.

That would be the reason I'd consider the coilovers. You either can pick your drop, or the drop isn't as much as these (Nismo).

BTW, anybody gotten their alignment with these yet, to see if you are in camber specs?
Old 03-20-2003, 02:34 PM
JimH

Default Camber after Eibachs

CAMBER:
Front specified range: -1.3 - 0.2. My left = -1.4 Right = -1.8
Rear specified range: -2.1 - -1.1 My left = -2.0 Right = -1.7

Not sure what the resulting tire wear will be with the slightly out of range front left figure. Regards, Jim

Originally posted by MannishBoy
I would do these in a second if it wasn't concerned about getting in my driveway. I have one of those curb step ups into a slope, and I'm scared I'd get these things then scratch up the nose the first time I go in.

The $220-$250 cost of 4 springs would be a great deal to fix the bounce. I'm just not sure about the driveway.

That would be the reason I'd consider the coilovers. You either can pick your drop, or the drop isn't as much as these (Nismo).

BTW, anybody gotten their alignment with these yet, to see if you are in camber specs?
Old 03-20-2003, 02:36 PM
JimH

Default Re: Camber after Eibachs

Whoops, should read "slightly out of range front left/right figure.

Originally posted by JimH
CAMBER:
Front specified range: -1.3 - 0.2. My left = -1.4 Right = -1.8
Rear specified range: -2.1 - -1.1 My left = -2.0 Right = -1.7

Not sure what the resulting tire wear will be with the slightly out of range front left figure. Regards, Jim
Old 03-20-2003, 03:10 PM
patdsaunders

Thanks for the measurements. The specs are good, but you should not run with one side different from the other. This would cause a large pull to the less camber side due to the greater rolling resistance. Assuming you have no damage and the springs were intalled correctly, it is unlikely the camber would be different on each side. They will definitly be different front to back and you want them to be (usually more camber in the back). When these measurements are taken, it is imperitive the car be settled. By this I mean been driven and the suspension compressed with no jacking hysterisis. The car must be level. The front tires must be as straight as possible or caster will effect the camber angle.

The bottom line is that the car should not be driven if those numbers are correct, but it is unlikely they are. Drive it at 40mph and see if it pulls to either side. If it does not pull, you are OK to drive it, but need to get things measured more accuratly. Good luck and thanks for the info.
Old 03-20-2003, 03:20 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Thanks for the info.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:19 PM
Pedal Pusher

JimH,
One more thing, be sure your tire pressures are equal left to right. I think Nissan calls for 31 psi in all tires. Check the manual to be sure. If you like different pressures front to rear, again the important thing is to have the same left to right.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:42 PM
N74DV

Lookin good Jim!
Old 03-20-2003, 06:16 PM
JimH

Default Hey!

Yo, DJ. Good to see ya' in here and thx for the nice words on the Z. We did the photo shoot last friday and it went really well. Regards, Jim
Old 04-04-2003, 04:38 PM
M3owner

Default Question

Does these springs also fix the tire "feathering" issue? or will feathering always be a problem?
Old 04-04-2003, 06:40 PM
JimH

Default Re: Question

I can't say for sure as I only have 2k on the springs and all is well at this juncture. I leave Monday for a 7,000 mile 6 week road trip and I will surely know more in a few weeks! Regards, Jim

Originally posted by M3owner
Does these springs also fix the tire "feathering" issue? or will feathering always be a problem?
Old 04-04-2003, 07:12 PM
slaponte

Hi Jim, Max.

I got my Eibachs. Not installed, but on my hands.

I am looking at tires, but will stay on my stock 18" rims (Touring).

I found this Jim : "Finally got wheels, (Privat Fahren 18/8/9) tires (Nitto 555 Extreme 245/40-275/40) and Eibach's (Prokit) "

The Fahrens are 18x8 and 18x9, same as the stock 18"s, right? So the 245/40 and 275/40 will fit on the stoack rims (if they fit on the Fahrens) ??

And how do you like the Nittos?

I am pretty sure I will go with the 245/40 and 275/40 setup, I just want to make sure they fit on my stock 18"s and in the fenderwell after the Eibachs.

Thanks for any info.
Old 04-04-2003, 07:21 PM
JimH

Default Eibachs

I see no factor that would disallow your tire choice on the stock 18's. They will fit okay, but the offset on your stock wheels could be a factor. I am running a 40 offset and your offset should be a little less, but I'm not sure if there would be a fender clearance problem. Might check w/Todd @ DiscountTireDirect to make sure tho. Yes, I like the Nitto's. They are certainly much more "sticky" than the oem's. You will like the Eibachs! Regards, Jim

Originally posted by slaponte
Hi Jim, Max.

I got my Eibachs. Not installed, but on my hands.

I am looking at tires, but will stay on my stock 18" rims (Touring).

I found this Jim : "Finally got wheels, (Privat Fahren 18/8/9) tires (Nitto 555 Extreme 245/40-275/40) and Eibach's (Prokit) "

The Fahrens are 18x8 and 18x9, same as the stock 18"s, right? So the 245/40 and 275/40 will fit on the stoack rims (if they fit on the Fahrens) ??

And how do you like the Nittos?

I am pretty sure I will go with the 245/40 and 275/40 setup, I just want to make sure they fit on my stock 18"s and in the fenderwell after the Eibachs.

Thanks for any info.
Old 04-04-2003, 08:18 PM
slaponte

From thread reading I gather I have a 30mm offset on the stock 18s. But I am not 100% sure thats the right number.

So, in your apreciation, the rims would hold the tires but I need to check the clearance re: offset.

Yeah, I also gathered from thread reading that Todd IS the man to ask. Specially since he seems to have the best price around on the Nittos anyway.

Your and Max's post on the Eibachs made up my mind. You guys sharing your exprience helps many of us and I thank you for sharing!
Old 04-04-2003, 09:27 PM
12SecZ

Thanks sloponte your gonna love the results!

It's a whole new car.

I too am running Nitto 555 245/40 and 275/40 setup and as you can see I got a 2.1 60' in sprinkly weather in an Auto!

My ATS rims are 9 in and slighlty buldge in the back at 32. If I drop it to 30 for road and 28 for track it's no big deal, works fine.

What is the stock rim size width in the back for that 275?

I would consider 245/40 all the way around if it is less than 9 inches wide. 275 is a little wide for a 8.5 rim.

You really can't tell that much of a difference when the car is so low and they will hook just as well.

In fact I am going to sell my Nitto 555 275/40 18's with 1k miles on them so I can get some DR's so check the classified if interested!

Keep us posted!

Quick Reply: Eibachs in stock...Some installed pics on a Lemans