Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Hotchkis springs questions..

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 09:26 AM
dingobiatch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hotchkis springs questions..

I'm thinking of getting Hotckis front and rear sways and possibly springs, but before I do, I need to know a few things.

First, will there be too much negative camber (it would be negative, correct?) by only getting Hotchkis springs?

Second, I keep reading something about how Hotchkis springs are actually less stiff than OEM, is this true? If it is, how is the handling improved?

And thirdly, do the springs actually make a significant difference in handling?

Thanks
Old 10-23-2006, 02:07 PM
wheatz

I have the Hotchkis sways and springs and they made a HUGE difference in handling. I installed the sways first and that made a large difference, but the springs eliminated all of the remaining body roll with the car. I highly recommend installing both cause together they make the biggest difference.

The springs are stiffer than stock, but it's not very noticeable for day-to-day driving. When I first autocrossed my Z was when I really felt the major difference with the springs.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:45 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Hotchkis fronts are stiffer and the backs are softer than stock 04.5+ revised springs.

Chris
Old 10-23-2006, 07:30 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

My alignment was within specs/tolerances and the ride is much better than stock. subtle lowering.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:37 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperSprite
Hotchkis fronts are stiffer and the backs are softer than stock 04.5+ revised springs.

Chris

Oem springs 350Z’s 2003/2004
Front:314 Rear:342

Oem springs 350Z 2004.5 to 2006
{EDIT} Forgot to actually post the rates,....SORRY
314/427

Hotchkis 350Z Linear springs .6”/.8” drop on 350Z
Spring rates in lbs 340/330
Stiffer or softer then oem springs by F+8% R-3% (vs 2003-2004)

Cut and paste repost of email from Hotchkis responding to criticism of softer rear spring rates (writer is of course refering to a car equipped with the unrefined 03/04 shocks/suspension)

Here is an email I got from John Whatley of Hotchkis:
quote:

There is no error on the spring ratings. The rear spring is in fact softer than the stock. The reasoning behind this is that: during testing we found that the rear end likes to bounce under hard cornering. By reducing the spring rate in the rear we were able to get more MPH in slalom testing and stopped the bouncing that occurred. These springs in conjunction with our swaybars will be matched with each other to provide a neutral feel under hard cornering.

Last edited by Gsedan35; 10-28-2006 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:49 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

as commented in another thread, we've been using the Hotchkis alot on the 06's and it's worked out wonderfully - zero issues and the car looks, handles and rides very well
Old 10-24-2006, 12:59 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with the comment from Hotchkis about neutral feeling in corners.

I never really seem to get oversteer or understeer, even really pushing it in the corners...
Old 10-24-2006, 08:27 PM
hiz-n-herz

Default 06 spring rates

Anyone know the 06 spring rates? Hotchkis sounds like a good setup. I have posted many times that I thought the rear springs are too stiff and that the rear of the car bounces too much (and as a result, unweights the rear tires, which is not good!)

What shocks to people use with Hotchkis springs and sways? I have been partial to Koni yellows (SA) on the old M3.

Also, the 06 OEM front sway bar looks HUGE. Are after-market sways that much different? how so? I don't notice too much body roll on my 06 GT...

Thanks...
Old 10-24-2006, 08:28 PM
hiz-n-herz

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
as commented in another thread, we've been using the Hotchkis alot on the 06's and it's worked out wonderfully - zero issues and the car looks, handles and rides very well
Can you comment on ride quality compared to 06 OEM ride?

thanks
Old 10-24-2006, 11:42 PM
Triple8Sol
Banned

Really enjoy my Hotchkis springs with DSP-9 Tokicos. It's a G, but still...
Old 10-25-2006, 05:23 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

06 springs rates have been posted in this thread!

We recently dia roadster (06) with stock tires and did the Hotchkis springs and sways- ride quality was unaffected by the springs (I drove the car before and after down the local roads at the shop), it just sat a bit lower. All in all, an awesome set of springs.

They are designed for stock shocks or a relatively mild shock upgrade. I personally would not use them with the Koni, as that shock needs a very stiff spring to be effective.

As for sways, the stock front is on the larger side, but a larger one does wonders for turn in response and reduction in body roll. Hotchkis and Cusco sways have worked out very well for us
Old 10-28-2006, 01:12 PM
NISMOFO

Anyone have the Hotchkis sways with the APS 2.5" dual exhaust? Any clearance issues?

I love my Hotchkis springs.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:59 PM
hiz-n-herz

06 springs rates have been posted in this thread!
DOH! WEll, poke me in the eye... Bad NooB

Anyone know if the Springs on the 06 GT coupe are more stiff than the 06 enthusiast?

The back of my car seems way more stiff than my wife's enthusiast. Stock for stock.

I am leaning towards the Hotchkis stage-1, but still like the idea of the dealer-installed and dealer warrantied Nismo s-tune, but that's money...

decisions...
Old 11-01-2006, 09:11 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, how useful is a warranty on suspension parts?

Good springs will outlive the car. Shocks are at most $600 + installation to replace. Sways also will outlive the car. End links, not very expensive to replace either.

I don't think it's worth paying up extra cash for nismo suspension if your only concern is warranty.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:22 AM
dingobiatch

How much should it cost to get sways and springs installed? My local guy said 100 for sways but 400 for springs.. $400?? Sounds way too high to me, but he said its cause they need to disassemble the whole spring/shock system and all that stuff..
Old 11-01-2006, 11:46 AM
hiz-n-herz

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
Well, how useful is a warranty on suspension parts?... ... End links, not very expensive to replace either.

I don't think it's worth paying up extra cash for nismo suspension if your only concern is warranty.
Hmmmmm.... You make a damn good point, Wired. WTF does a warranty on suspension parts do? There goes that argument.

Yeah, The end-lings on the e36M3 are definitely considered wear items.

Do you have the sways? I know they are good for the corners, but do the detract at all from the independent-suspension feel?

Sure would like to hear from on 06 GT owner that went to Hotchkis stage-1
Old 11-01-2006, 11:55 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

sways do not detract from anything...they make the car handle even better than it does stock, and turn in far quicker than stock

install for springs is a 1.5 hour job - sways adds another .5-.75 hours total. All told it should cost around $150-$175 ish
Old 11-01-2006, 05:06 PM
hiz-n-herz

sways do not detract from anything...
I would not say that, but you're not me . Sway bars more closely couple the left and right suspension components and movements. I think that on rough, eneven pavement, more aggressive sways could contribute to a rougher ride. I don't track my car at all (yet!). I may take it to a autocross or two. So I am tuning it for the street, where there's bumps.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:07 PM
NISMOFO

Originally Posted by hiz-n-herz
Anyone know if the Springs on the 06 GT coupe are more stiff than the 06 enthusiast?

The back of my car seems way more stiff than my wife's enthusiast. Stock for stock.
Anyone got an answer for this? As far as I know, every year model car has the same springs/shocks for that particular year. If they make an adjustment, it affects all models for that year.

So what (if any) is the history of Nissan's spring/shock changes since the 2003 model? I know there have been some alterations.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:48 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by hiz-n-herz
I would not say that, but you're not me . Sway bars more closely couple the left and right suspension components and movements. I think that on rough, eneven pavement, more aggressive sways could contribute to a rougher ride. I don't track my car at all (yet!). I may take it to a autocross or two. So I am tuning it for the street, where there's bumps.
when the car is going on uneven pavement, the sways are not being asked to work. A sway works through resisting twists, which only happens with any meaningful amount when the car is turning.

Quick Reply: Hotchkis springs questions..