Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Some new SPL stuff sneak peak

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 08:42 PM
Lawn Dart

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am very excited about this design. I love the idea of the design eliminating the adjustable perch.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:36 AM
axolotol81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So with this setup, if you already have true coilovers in the rear, the billet arm will allow you to remove the spring off your rear coilovers and place the spring on the billet arm away from the strut? If this is correct, how would you adjust the ride height in the rear with Stance coilovers? I am wondering because the Stance coilovers adjust at the base of the strut mount, so by looking at the billet arms and the Stances, there would be two places that would need adjustment.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:34 AM
kuah@splparts.com
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by axolotol81
So with this setup, if you already have true coilovers in the rear, the billet arm will allow you to remove the spring off your rear coilovers and place the spring on the billet arm away from the strut? If this is correct, how would you adjust the ride height in the rear with Stance coilovers? I am wondering because the Stance coilovers adjust at the base of the strut mount, so by looking at the billet arms and the Stances, there would be two places that would need adjustment.
Actually you probably do not want to use the same springs from the Stance coilovers (although it will fit), because when you move them to the arm the difference in motion ratio will make the spring effectively softer. We will be offering with the arms with a pair of linear Eibach springs in almost any spring rate you like, the Eibach springs go for slightly over $100. Swift springs will be in the $200-$300 range IIRC.

The height adjustment is straightforward, you adjust the spring perch to set your ride height. Then you adjust the lower brackets on the shocks to alter the length of the shock assembly, which sets the stroke/droop/travel of the shock. It is actually simpler than adjusting the coilover because now when you adjust the length of the shock you do not affect ride height AND stroke at the same time.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:42 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kuah,

How far away from production are you on these?

and not to get way off topic here, but when are the front stabilizer links going to be released? I am holding off buying these until I can get front and rear.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:57 AM
kuah@splparts.com
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z
How far away from production are you on these?

and not to get way off topic here, but when are the front stabilizer links going to be released? I am holding off buying these until I can get front and rear.
I have to re-design part of the rear arm, and get some miles on the prototype arms on the street and track, but they are very close, I am looking to release them early January.

As for the endlinks, the current 350Z rear endlinks are actually a carry-over from our 300ZX front endlinks. To go one better than the competition, I have decided to design all new endlinks front and rear for the 350Z using the new series of QA1 high-misalignment rod ends, which are extremely strong and will allow for more angular misalignment than ball joints. I would say probably a Feb time frame for the new F&R endlinks.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:40 AM
03Z33

This has to be the stupidest idea EVER! and fugly
Old 11-19-2006, 01:59 PM
kuah@splparts.com
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 03Z33
This has to be the stupidest idea EVER! and fugly
Obviously you have a real issue with us:

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension/219823-for-those-with-cusco-a-arms.html

What exactly did I do to you to deserve this type of blatant bashing and false information?
Old 11-19-2006, 02:14 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Funny how he shuts his mouth after he is called out on his ignorance though. oh well, you make quality products that speak for themselves, so let the haters do just that.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:40 PM
kuah@splparts.com
Vendor - Former Vendor

Funny how he shuts his mouth after he is called out on his ignorance though. oh well, you make quality products that speak for themselves, so let the haters do just that.
Thanks for the support!

I know I have offended a few people before, in this business its not always possible to please everyone, but I don't recall any interaction with this fellow.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:55 PM
03Z33

It's nothing personal, but when you release crappy product you're bound to get called out sometimes. I'm just looking out for my fellow Z owners who may have not dealt with your crap in past...
I guess I should give you credit for being half way original this time? At least it's not like your other lines where you copy others just with cheaper quality. To bad your idea just doesn't work well.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:58 PM
03Z33

I agree that quality products will speak for themselves, and there is a reason why these products are getting called out. You should know better than anyone after getting burned with your last car There's nothing wrong with supporting your sponsor, or the "cool" bandwagon shop of the week, but wait and see, Z owners will get burned just like Z32 and 240SX owners have in past!
Old 11-19-2006, 03:04 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

I agree that quality products will speak for themselves, and there is a reason why these products are getting called out. You should know better than anyone after getting burned with your last car There's nothing wrong with supporting your sponsor, or the "cool" bandwagon shop of the week, but wait and see, Z owners will get burned just like Z32 and 240SX owners have in past!
Getting burned with my last car? My Xterra? You don't even know what the hell your talking about. Guess it's time to test the ignore feature of this site.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:08 PM
kuah@splparts.com
Vendor - Former Vendor

It's nothing personal, but when you release crappy product you're bound to get called out sometimes. I'm just looking out for my fellow Z owners who may have not dealt with your crap in past...
I guess I should give you credit for being half way original this time? At least it's not like your other lines where you copy others just with cheaper quality. To bad your idea just doesn't work well.
It is nothing personal? Your responses are all personal. You have not brought up any real technical objections to the product and design. Your reponse in this thread was that this product is stupid and ugly?

We never copied anyone. Yes alot of our 240SX suspension line are rebadged NAMS (Nagisa) products but NAMS has no objections to us rebadging their products and it is pretty much open knowledge in that community. In fact we state that we do purchase some products from other shops on the website.

Did we actually have an interaction in the past or is this all third hand gossip and guesses? All this sounds alot like the rhectoric from Alex@BattleVersion. If you wish to state something factual, I can respond accordingly. There is nothing I can do if your objections are based on gossip and rumours.

Last edited by kuah@splparts.com; 11-19-2006 at 03:29 PM.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:25 PM
03Z33

Getting burned with my last car? My Xterra? You don't even know what the hell your talking about. Guess it's time to test the ignore feature of this site.
Didn't you used to have another Z all done up? If not I apologize I might have the wrong guy.

What crappy product?

What do you consider that? I think that's the ugliest design I've seen yet for the Z (yes even uglier than the Kinetix crap!). Not only are you throwing away a well designed forged aluminum arm, but you're using cheap rod ends, shoddy welds, and adding weight to a critical suspension arm all just to make a quick buck and tell people "your tires won't wear out as quick"

What copy?

All of your suspension arms are direct copies of brand names, just done in cheaper materials, with cheap ends, and broken up welds. I've seen these arms break within days of installing them on cars!

And how exactly does my idea not work well?
The stock arm is lighter, as you point out. I will also bet that it's stronger. Why bother making such an expensive replacement if you can't improve on it? How many of these do you really think you're going to sell for $800 + out of cnc'd aluminum? There are already proven solutions for adjusting rear toe on the Z. There is no need to change the stock arm, and if you're willing to change it, there are lighter higher quality options for under $300 that won't brake after the first track event, or rust and clunk after the first rainy day. There is nothing wrong with running a true coilover in the rear, most will argue it's a superior design. The only people complaining are the ones that haven't tried it!
Old 11-19-2006, 03:47 PM
kuah@splparts.com
Vendor - Former Vendor

What do you consider that? I think that's the ugliest design I've seen yet for the Z (yes even uglier than the Kinetix crap!). Not only are you throwing away a well designed forged aluminum arm, but you're using cheap rod ends, shoddy welds, and adding weight to a critical suspension arm all just to make a quick buck and tell people "your tires won't wear out as quick"

The stock arm is lighter, as you point out. I will also bet that it's stronger. Why bother making such an expensive replacement if you can't improve on it? How many of these do you really think you're going to sell for $800 + out of cnc'd aluminum? There are already proven solutions for adjusting rear toe on the Z. There is no need to change the stock arm, and if you're willing to change it, there are lighter higher quality options for under $300 that won't brake after the first track event, or rust and clunk after the first rainy day. There is nothing wrong with running a true coilover in the rear, most will argue it's a superior design. The only people complaining are the ones that haven't tried it!
Wow, OK. You are certainly entitled to your opinion on how the front and rear arms look and function, but please make it clear that you have never actually tried the products in person. Have you actually seen our 350Z front arms in person?

Please provide some examples of this "common" issue of broken SPL suspension pieces, links to threads on any forums is fine. We wouldn't have our reputation in the 240SX or 300ZX community if this was true. I don't know if you are grouping or confusing us with some other vendors.

Here are several 240SX and 300ZX forums for those who want to research our reputation:

www.zilvia.net
www.freshalloy.com
www.ziptied.com
www.twinturbo.net
Old 11-19-2006, 04:44 PM
sfarrah

I am sponsored by SPL, but let me say that I would never risk my life on a track if I thought their products are shoddy. I’ve used their products on my 300ZX long before I got the 350Z, and I have never heard of a SPL suspension product breaking outside of a collision in all the years(6+) I have been on the 300ZX forums.

I know Kuah personally, I know where all the suspension products are made (and I have watched them being made), and I know where all the rod ends and hardware are sourced, and I can tell you that your “facts” are just plain wrong. QA1 rod ends are considered to be some of the best in the industry, so I really don't know where you come off calling them cheap.

As for your comment on "fugly" I would tend to disagree. Tig welded chromoly tubing doesn't exactly scream "crappy" or "ugly" to me. Regardless of what you may think of their aesthetic quality, you go right ahead and buy suspension products based on how pretty you think they are. I'll continue to buy performance products based on their quality and functionality-especially when my life is at stake.

If you don't have anything useful and factual to contribute here, please go back in your hole. Troll. It is obvious you have some hidden agenda and you're just making yourself look foolish.

Last edited by sfarrah; 11-19-2006 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:49 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

yep, you have the wrong guy. This is the ONLY 350Z I have owned.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:29 PM
03Z33

I can assure you I have no hidden agenda, nor am I a troll. I've been active on the forum since before the car hit the states and I've had my share of experiences with multiple vendors parts. My reasons for posting are to share knowledge and oppinions with fellow members. You aren't a forum sponsor, and I realize you're just sharing some "prototype" pictures. If you aren't open to negative feedback, you may re-consider doing so in future.

Rather than getting into a tit for tat argument about why I feel your products don't meet the quality and design standards I expect from a vendor I will respectfully leave your thread and wish you all a good day
Old 11-20-2006, 07:06 AM
mojo powered

ok well, if you're so sure about the shoddy quality of these products breaking and rusting, can you show us some proof?

Get us some links to forum posts or articles about what you're talking about because without facts or data, you're just creating negative vibe on here that we do not need on this forum.

So far, you are the only one that has ever spoken badly about SPL products and yes, I have been on the boards long enough to know as well. I may not post much, but I do watch quite a bit.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:27 AM
kuah@splparts.com
Vendor - Former Vendor

I can assure you I have no hidden agenda, nor am I a troll. I've been active on the forum since before the car hit the states and I've had my share of experiences with multiple vendors parts. My reasons for posting are to share knowledge and oppinions with fellow members. You aren't a forum sponsor, and I realize you're just sharing some "prototype" pictures. If you aren't open to negative feedback, you may re-consider doing so in future.
An actual critique of the design or a discussion of the pros and cons of coilover setups is welcome. But the claims of copying, shoddy material and quality constitutes libel.

Quick Reply: Some new SPL stuff sneak peak