Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Some new SPL stuff sneak peak

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 09:21 AM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 03Z33
There is nothing wrong with running a true coilover in the rear, most will argue it's a superior design. The only people complaining are the ones that haven't tried it!
Oh really?
Maybe you can explain how there are no negative factors associated with mounting a spring on a damper who's inclination will change with roll couple and compression. Maybe you can tell us all why increasing inclination during compression and thereby reducing spring effectiveness at an exponential rate is not a bad thing? Maybe you can explain better than every suspension engineer why placing the spring load directly on the hub is not superior for managing lateral roll couple forces acting on the suspension? Maybe you can explain to us all why the front suspension must obviously suck for mounting the damper and spring load on the lower control arm instead of the front hub. Or please, please, inform us why hub mounted spring loads are controlled by STRUTS which are firmly placed on the hub so that they DON'T incline with side loads, and maybe even explain why if Nissan thought it best to place the spring load on the hub they didn't use Chapman struts? Maybe you can adaquately explain how I wasted my money on this Mechanical Engineering degree because all the known data on this subject is obviously wrong compared to the wisdom of some internet ****** who fails to see that only the CHEAPEST suspensions are true coil-over in the rear. The Grand-Am cars use the stock location. Unitech has the most tested suspension for the Z33 and they use the stock rear spring location. Only cheap *** suspensions like the Stance use coil springs on the damper because it's cheaper to make them that way. Making a seperate perch to fit the larger diameter arm costs more. Slapping a spring on a damper that already has a threaded body is cheap. Not doing research is cheap.
I don't know the beef you have with SPL, but stfu about something you know nothing about. You rag on them about spouting bogus internet knowledge, but you're about as stupid as they come ranting off about your obviously superior internet knowledge on suspension design. Maybe when you're done, you can enlighten us all with the truth of the turbonator and the superiority of your big *** wing.
Will
Old 11-20-2006, 09:29 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh my god, I haven't laughed this much in years
Old 12-03-2006, 09:06 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

any new updates?
Old 12-04-2006, 07:45 AM
kuah@splparts.com
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z
any new updates?
The prototypes are working out well so far, we got some miles on the arms and the alignment/adjustment went beautifully. I re-designed the spring perch for better fitment and should have the new prototypes this week for testing. We will probably schedule the production soon after and shoot for mid-late January release...
Old 12-04-2006, 08:16 AM
z-u-later

Hey, kuah, all I want for Christmas is a set of SPL front end links. Any chance of them getting produced before your estimated time of Jan/Feb '07 timeframe? Just ONE set and I'll even drive up to your Austin store to pick them up!!!

Last edited by z-u-later; 12-04-2006 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:38 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by z-u-later
Hey, kuah, all I want for Christmas is a set of SPL front end links.
I want those also
Old 12-04-2006, 02:38 PM
kuah@splparts.com
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by z-u-later
Hey, kuah, all I want for Christmas is a set of SPL front end links. Any chance of them getting produced before your estimated time of Jan/Feb '07 timeframe? Just ONE set and I'll even drive up to your Austin store to pick them up!!!
Hmm... I guess I better prioritize this then, I had not thought there was much interest in the endlinks. I'll see what I can do...
Old 12-04-2006, 02:38 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

sweet
Old 12-04-2006, 07:25 PM
z-u-later

kuah, there is a lot of interest on your SPL front end links. There's an entire thread in this forum discussing just end links. Members are eagerly awaiting for you to produce the front end links.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:06 PM
SpoilsofWar

I'd venture to say that end-links are the single biggest marketing opportunity right now as far as 350 upgrades go
Old 12-06-2006, 10:43 AM
axolotol81

Yeah...I would really like some front end links too!
Old 12-06-2006, 10:52 AM
JDMFairladyZ33

This is really interesting...please let me know when it is available. Where in Austin is ya'll shop located? I run down there a lot and might want to check you guys out.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:59 AM
Tortuga

Originally Posted by JDMFairladyZ33
This is really interesting...please let me know when it is available. Where in Austin is ya'll shop located? I run down there a lot and might want to check you guys out.
Here is where they are located, as long as they haven't moved. Less than a mile off IH-35 in north Austin.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...UTF8&z=15&om=1
Old 12-06-2006, 12:52 PM
kuah@splparts.com
Vendor - Former Vendor

I drew up the new designs and handed it to our machinist a few days ago, might have them done before end of the year. I just thought from the other thread that there was more interest in the TC and Powergrid products... anyway our new endlinks will use the massive 1/2" high-misalignment chromoly rod ends from QA1 that provide 65deg of articulation angle, more than stock or powergrid ball joints, and substantially stronger.

The address is correct, feel free to stop by (call ahead if possible), but keep in mind we are not a service/tuning shop so there's not much to see.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:04 PM
UrbanTacticZ

Originally Posted by Resolute
Oh really?
Maybe you can explain how there are no negative factors associated with mounting a spring on a damper who's inclination will change with roll couple and compression. Maybe you can tell us all why increasing inclination during compression and thereby reducing spring effectiveness at an exponential rate is not a bad thing? Maybe you can explain better than every suspension engineer why placing the spring load directly on the hub is not superior for managing lateral roll couple forces acting on the suspension? Maybe you can explain to us all why the front suspension must obviously suck for mounting the damper and spring load on the lower control arm instead of the front hub. Or please, please, inform us why hub mounted spring loads are controlled by STRUTS which are firmly placed on the hub so that they DON'T incline with side loads, and maybe even explain why if Nissan thought it best to place the spring load on the hub they didn't use Chapman struts? Maybe you can adaquately explain how I wasted my money on this Mechanical Engineering degree because all the known data on this subject is obviously wrong compared to the wisdom of some internet ****** who fails to see that only the CHEAPEST suspensions are true coil-over in the rear. The Grand-Am cars use the stock location. Unitech has the most tested suspension for the Z33 and they use the stock rear spring location. Only cheap *** suspensions like the Stance use coil springs on the damper because it's cheaper to make them that way. Making a seperate perch to fit the larger diameter arm costs more. Slapping a spring on a damper that already has a threaded body is cheap. Not doing research is cheap.
I don't know the beef you have with SPL, but stfu about something you know nothing about. You rag on them about spouting bogus internet knowledge, but you're about as stupid as they come ranting off about your obviously superior internet knowledge on suspension design. Maybe when you're done, you can enlighten us all with the truth of the turbonator and the superiority of your big *** wing.
Will
Old 12-06-2006, 07:15 PM
z-u-later

Originally Posted by kuah
I drew up the new designs and handed it to our machinist a few days ago, might have them done before end of the year. I just thought from the other thread that there was more interest in the TC and Powergrid products... anyway our new endlinks will use the massive 1/2" high-misalignment chromoly rod ends from QA1 that provide 65deg of articulation angle, more than stock or powergrid ball joints, and substantially stronger.

The address is correct, feel free to stop by (call ahead if possible), but keep in mind we are not a service/tuning shop so there's not much to see.
Kuah, I'm looking forward to the "beefier" endlinks! Heck, I'll even start a signup list so you can gauge the large interest on your SPL end links:

1. z-u-later (front & rear end links)

Come on, guys, let kuah know we want SPL end links for Christmas!
Old 12-06-2006, 07:29 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

2. USN HM 350Z (F & R)
Old 12-06-2006, 07:44 PM
deviljon

2. USN HM 350Z (F & R)
3.deviljon (front and rear)
Old 12-07-2006, 05:05 AM
z-u-later

This is looking good so far. This will give kuah an idea how many sets he'll need to produce for those who are really interested. BTW, kuah, can you post pics of the new design once you have a prototype built?
Old 12-07-2006, 05:13 AM
SpoilsofWar

I need end links!

Quick Reply: Some new SPL stuff sneak peak