Some new SPL stuff sneak peak

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 07:01 AM
kuah@splparts.com
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by z-u-later
Bump for an update from kuah . . .
I installed the prototype front endlinks on sfarrah's Z last week. My initial design was a little longer than stock and turned out that it will interfere with coilovers, so I had to change the design. But that will not cause much delay, still looking at making them available end of next week or the following week at latest.

FWIW, I can see why many stock front endlinks have trouble with adjustable front bars, even with 65deg of articulation angle the endlinks barely match up to all the adjustment holes without binding. Stock endlinks will only have ~50deg of articulation angle, I am sure at certain settings they are binding under suspension travel.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:39 AM
Grommit

Great to hear. I'll be looking forward to picking these up.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:57 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kuah
My initial design was a little longer than stock and turned out that it will interfere with coilovers, so I had to change the design.
hm. did u measure the stock piece then recreate it in CAD/Solidworks or just went with rough measurements when under the car?
Old 01-25-2007, 09:29 PM
sfarrah

Default front end link update

First Impressions:
Visually they are definitely beefier than the stock units.
I haven't put a lot of miles on them yet but it was immediately noticeable that they were quieter than the stockers I was using.
Turn in was crisp and responsive. I will be testing them out on the track at Motorsport Ranch next weekend so I will have a follow up review after the event. So far I am very happy with them.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:28 AM
z-u-later

Is the revised one after kuah shortened the initial one?
Old 01-29-2007, 07:09 AM
kuah@splparts.com
Vendor - Former Vendor

Is the revised one after kuah shortened the initial one?
After I found that my initial design (based off measuring the stock endlinks) is not going to fit well, I fabbed up a new set of endlinks by hand on sfarrah's 350Z. It took a few iterations playing with spacing before I was satisfied with the articulation range of the installed endlinks. I then drew up the new production sketches based on those final measurements...
Old 01-29-2007, 07:45 AM
z-u-later

So these new end links will be tested in sfarrah's Z this weekend at MSR in Forth Worth? Is he doing the instructor course with Apex Driving Academy? We're all looking forward to a review of these end links.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:07 AM
Grommit

Any updates on the rear endlinks or are you only focused on the fronts?
Old 01-29-2007, 08:30 AM
kuah@splparts.com
Vendor - Former Vendor

So these new end links will be tested in sfarrah's Z this weekend at MSR in Forth Worth? Is he doing the instructor course with Apex Driving Academy? We're all looking forward to a review of these end links.
Yes sfarrah will be testing out the front endlinks at MSR (Driver's Edge) this weekend, but I really do not forsee any issues, so the components for the endlinks are already in the middle of production right now.

I will also be there testing my Z32 out before we head down to California for the Redline Time Attack.

The rear endlinks are also in production, so both the new front and rear endlinks should be ready in the same timeframe.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:40 AM
z-u-later

Thanks, kuah. Man, I wished I can go to the Driver's Edge event this weekend! My goal this year is to attend one, either at MSR or at TWS.

BTW, here's the latest list of those interested in ordering your front & rear end links:

1. z-u-later (front & rear end links)
2. USN HM 350Z (F & R)
3.deviljon (front and rear)
4. axolotol81 (Front and Rear)
5. jmckuhen (front & rear)
6. NoLimit (front & rear)
7. SpoilsofWar (front & rear)
8. JZ350
9. aalzuhair
10. Grommit (F & R)
11. Kevins350z (F&R)

I will PM the members on the list once your new end links are available. If you're interested, cut & paste the list and add your name to the bottom of the list. Kuah will have special pricing for the initial group buy. Kuah, I'll drive up from San Antonio if you let me know when the first set is ready.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:50 AM
z-u-later

Bump for an update from kuah or sfarrah . . .
Old 02-05-2007, 08:57 AM
Jun
350Z-holic

looks good!
Old 02-05-2007, 09:41 AM
Grommit

+1 on the updates.

I get my Z back in three weeks! These should be out by then, right?
Old 02-05-2007, 11:18 AM
z-u-later

They should be ready anytime now. We're just waiting for reviews since these new endlinks were used at the track this weekend. I'm with you -- I'd like to get these endlinks installed before my next auto-x on Feb 25th! Yeah, that's my wedding anniversary too! Mmmm . . . take the wife out or auto-x? Okay, I'll compromise, I think I'll just take her to the auto-x with me.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:21 PM
kuah@splparts.com
Vendor - Former Vendor

Bump for an update from kuah or sfarrah . . .
Parts have been machined, and are being plated right now, should be done Wed, so I'll have the first 5 sets or so ready to go by end of the week.

We had the new front and rear endlinks on sfarrah's Z, everything worked well, I'll let sfarrah post his impressions...
Old 02-05-2007, 03:54 PM
Grommit

Crap. I had to be #10 on the list, eh?

How much longer untill you have another batch in case I can't get one of the first 5 sets? Also, whats the price for Front and Rear sets?
Old 02-05-2007, 04:06 PM
kuah@splparts.com
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Grommit
Crap. I had to be #10 on the list, eh?

How much longer untill you have another batch in case I can't get one of the first 5 sets? Also, whats the price for Front and Rear sets?
The list does not matter, its first come first served Give us a call if you want to pre-order... we can get more sets ready pretty quick, just have to order more rod ends from QA1.

I have not yet finalized the prices yet, waiting for all the bills to arrive so I can figure out the actual cost... tentatively the retail price should be $129 per axle, and intro price should be about $100 per axle...
Old 02-05-2007, 04:10 PM
Theatrix
Professional

1. z-u-later (front & rear end links)
2. USN HM 350Z (F & R)
3.deviljon (front and rear)
4. axolotol81 (Front and Rear)
5. jmckuhen (front & rear)
6. NoLimit (front & rear)
7. SpoilsofWar (front & rear)
8. JZ350
9. aalzuhair
10. Grommit (F & R)
11. Kevins350z (F&R)
12. Theatrix (F&R)
Old 02-05-2007, 04:27 PM
Grommit

Originally Posted by kuah
The list does not matter, its first come first served Give us a call if you want to pre-order... we can get more sets ready pretty quick, just have to order more rod ends from QA1.

I have not yet finalized the prices yet, waiting for all the bills to arrive so I can figure out the actual cost... tentatively the retail price should be $129 per axle, and intro price should be about $100 per axle...
PM sent!
Old 02-05-2007, 07:18 PM
MoodDude

Hi, I am glad to see developement in our Z suspension. I love the fact that your incorporating sperical bearings (rod ends) in your designes. I don't claim to be a suspension expert, but there are a few questions about all the designs I see out there:
- Why are you not designing a sperical bearing on the other side of you linkages (both the rear lower and mid link) where it attaches to the hub carrier?
- Don't you change the roll center, bump camber, and track change by changing the rod length to alter camber and toe? Is that not why the factory adjusts where the pivot point location is to adjust camber and toe?
- If you don't get the passanger and driver side linkage lengths the same, than won't you have different roll center, bump camber, and track change on both sides?
- How are you measuring or judging if you mid linkage (one that effects toe, which is the most important) is stiffer/stronger?

I really like the fact that you are looking at using standard springs for the rear, so the cost of changing springs is cheaper! I also agree that trying to apply a standard coilover on the rear of our cars would cost more money than anyone is willing to spend since the structure to support it on our cars is not there!

Quick Reply: Some new SPL stuff sneak peak