Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Air Suspension Build Log (UPDATED 11/30/06)

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 11:17 PM
UrbanTacticZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Suspension Build Log (UPDATED 11/30/06)

Quick random blurb from my blog:

I wanted to give a quick shout out to two of my latest sponsors now that the deals are closed and things are official.

Both of the following companies are leaders in their field and I am very proud to represent their products on my latest project, a 2003 Nissan 350Z. The car will make its debut next year and will be featured at the 2007 SEMA Show in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA.

Ok so who do we have on board?

Universal Air Suspension – www.UniversalAirSuspension.com

Dakota Digital – www.DakotaDigital.com

Universal Air Suspension will be sending up a complete air suspension kit. They make some awesome products and after viewing their facilities personally last month, I was nothing short of amazed. The bags themselves are built here in the United States and Zack from Universal Air Suspension kindly gave me the grand tour of their facilities. Their employees were very friendly and showed me how their products were assembled.

Zack also took me in a ride in their shop car, a 300C. Let me tell you this, the ride was BAD ***! The suspension handles great during hard cornering and at highway speeds feels like you are floating on the clouds!

Here is a shot of the complete kit that I will somehow need to squeeze into my 350Z:

[ Link to the product page for more information ]

Traditionally in the air suspension industry, a box of switches are typically used to control the system. Depending on the setup, the control box allows the bags to be controlled all together, in pairs (fronts, rears, or sides), or each individually. Now with my build, I wanted something a little more sleek and more importantly, something that took up less room in the car. Finding space in the 350Z comes at a premium.

After hours of discussion with Zack, he helped me decide on a Dakota Digital unit. Now in the sport compact industry, their name may not be well known, however, in the world of custom bikes and hot rods, their name is top tier. Dakota Digital has been manufacturing quality digital instruments for the past 20 years and has no plans deviate from their mission anytime soon. They make all sorts of gauges for basically any application you could think of and in my opinion is a great quality alternative to DEFI Gauges if you are into the digital look.

I gave Dakota Digital a jingle and Scott expressed interest in the project and was immediately on board. Dakota Digital will be sending out their top of the line digital air suspension control unit that I should be receiving in the following few days.

Here’s a shot of the Dakota Digital Automatic Digital Ride Height Controller:

[ Link to the product page for more information ]

I will running model number DHC-2002 which includes pressure sensors and height sensors in a chrome face with blue display.

I will be sharing some of my own pictures and impressions of the products once I have them on hand.

Until then, it is time to get some sleep, stock market opens in 7 hours!

Last edited by UrbanTacticZ; 11-30-2006 at 11:19 PM.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:18 PM
UrbanTacticZ

I will be posting everything on this site as well as other project related blogs at www.exelife.com

Stay tuned until tomorrow!
Old 12-01-2006, 08:39 AM
BhashaZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't wait to see this Prashant! Are you staying with stock shocks or did you go with aftermarket (either shocks or coilovers). Let us know how it rides once it's on the Z!
Old 12-01-2006, 01:23 PM
UrbanTacticZ

I will be working to get some aftermarket coilovers. The problem is trying to find a manufacture who will give me something that I will end up tearing apart. I may have to dig into my own pockets and pickup a set myself.

Anyone have some good coilovers for sale? Holler my way!
Old 12-01-2006, 01:24 PM
UrbanTacticZ

Oh by the way, 3 boxes are resting at home right now filled with air suspension goodness courtesy of Universal Air Suspension (www.universalairsuspension.com)

Can't wait to tear them open!
Old 12-01-2006, 01:28 PM
UrbanTacticZ

Originally Posted by BhashaZ
Can't wait to see this Prashant! Are you staying with stock shocks or did you go with aftermarket (either shocks or coilovers). Let us know how it rides once it's on the Z!
I just noticed, you are running street deck? How do you like it compared to the other front ends?
Old 12-01-2006, 01:38 PM
zzz350

I think that the main problem this product is going to have in the Z market, is the space required for tank and compressor. I am trying to imagine putting that monster in the rear end of my "lacking for storage space" Z. No trunk = big problem for this product. Good luck, I think this company is going to have to come up with a smaller, stealthier unit if they ever want Z owners to pony up. They need to make a round or c-shaped tank that will fit in the spare tire space, with the compressor located in the middle of the air tank that would wrap around it. Short of that type of solution, I think this thing will be a royal z bust.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:10 PM
UrbanTacticZ

They already have tanks that fit in the spare tire well

I actually just shoved the entire 5 gallon tank behind the driver seat cubby where the stock subwoofer is

There are pros and cons to every system, die hard air fans will find a way to make this fit, it's not too bad!

Like for me, I want the adjustability and performance of an air system thus I will find a way to make everything fit even with my sound system in the hatch area.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:41 PM
zzz350

Then get it on Urban, I also like the idea of the air system, just curious how the hell does a 5 gal tank fit in that cubby hole?
Old 12-14-2006, 09:04 PM
Ten to Four Z

Any updates or Pics?
Old 12-15-2006, 12:42 AM
UrbanTacticZ

Originally Posted by zzz350
Then get it on Urban, I also like the idea of the air system, just curious how the hell does a 5 gal tank fit in that cubby hole?
Oh jeez, don't ask haha. You literally need to shove it in there. It also turns out that it will not fit with the fittings on the tank so I instead have to find a new place for it.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:44 AM
UrbanTacticZ

Originally Posted by Ten to Four Z
Any updates or Pics?
Oh for sure! I have assembled my struts, and the rear bags are mounted up on the brackets. I just need a clear non rainy day to install. It's been raining for the last week up here in the Bay Area

I've also been taking pictures of all my work along the process and things I have changed and updated, etc. I just havn't had a chance to blog on my website yet or update here. But, rest assured, it will get done.

I'm actually working on the electrical for the relays right now so as soon as it clears up, I can attack the Z!

Stay tuned fellas, stay tuned!
Old 12-15-2006, 02:11 AM
leeboyNY
Kimchi Eater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet~ can't wait for pictures. My major concern is the compressor noise. How loud would it be in the spare tire area?
Old 12-15-2006, 05:03 AM
zzz350

Originally Posted by leeboyNY
Sweet~ can't wait for pictures. My major concern is the compressor noise. How loud would it be in the spare tire area?
No need to be concerned, at all.

How do you feel about wearing earplugs when you drive?
Old 12-15-2006, 11:55 AM
UrbanTacticZ

Originally Posted by leeboyNY
I agree, compressor noise would be nice to supress somehow. I will try to get Zack to chime in with any suggestions!
Old 12-15-2006, 03:43 PM
universalAirSus

Originally Posted by UrbanTacticZ
I agree, compressor noise would be nice to supress somehow. I will try to get Zack to chime in with any suggestions!
Well the good news is that when they are running (about a min) it does not by any means sound like a home compressor running. Typically if you mount it down in the trunk area it will be a slight "humm" when they are running, but the average drive w/ the window down you wont even hear them.

Now if its mounted straight to the sheet metal it will be louder because the body will amplify the sound (like my 300).

Best way if you want it to be quite, mount the comps onto like a peice of wood and then mount the wood to the car. it will drastically reduce the noise. unfortunally in my 300 there is no room in the spare tire well where i have my comps mounted.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:23 PM
GQ 350z

OK so just saw this. Can you chassis slam the car? How do you prevent damage to your already low body kit (e.g. mine).

I want this but am unsure about the handling dynamics and how to protect my already low ride. The raising option near speedbumps seems damn tempting alone for me to buy it.

ravi
Old 12-15-2006, 04:27 PM
universalAirSus

Originally Posted by GQ 350z
OK so just saw this. Can you chassis slam the car? How do you prevent damage to your already low body kit (e.g. mine).

I want this but am unsure about the handling dynamics and how to protect my already low ride. The raising option near speedbumps seems damn tempting alone for me to buy it.

ravi
you can adjust the kit so that way the body kit wont hit the ground.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:35 PM
GQ 350z

Can you pm me cost shipped to 95212...as well as typical install costs...
Old 12-15-2006, 04:59 PM
universalAirSus

Originally Posted by GQ 350z
Can you pm me cost shipped to 95212...as well as typical install costs...
2316.63 shipped after sales tax. Typical install costs range from 600-1000

Quick Reply: Air Suspension Build Log (UPDATED 11/30/06)