Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

JIC Flt2a gone bad!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007 | 12:52 PM
laswyguy

Default JIC Flt2a gone bad!!!

After 2.5 years and about 40,000 my right rear stut on my JIC coilover started leaking and is now dead. Needless to say, im pretty pissed? I called the JIC factory and he said that this is normal and your suppose to get them rebuilt every three years? Is this true??
Old 01-19-2007 | 12:54 PM
Fluid1

No, they last forever. lol

Of course it's true! It's a wearable item, you should be able to get them revalved through JIC
Old 01-19-2007 | 12:56 PM
laswyguy

My point is, when I bought some crappy Monroe gas shocks from Kragen auto, they offered a lifetime warranty. I spend $1,800 for some coil-overs and they die after 2.5 years?
Old 01-19-2007 | 12:57 PM
pony_killer
Arada ninda apa
Premier Member

yeah thats bs! but what can you do about it?
Old 01-19-2007 | 01:17 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus
Premier Member

You are lucky that you are local and can probably drop them off as they are located in Downey to get them serviced. Like stated before these are wear items and will eventually wear out. These are high performance parts and couple that with being a wear item and there goes your warranty.

You must have spoken to Yukio. He is a good, fair, level headed guy and will help you in any way possible but it is a bit ridiculous if you expect the shocks to last forever. My 2 cents
Old 01-19-2007 | 01:18 PM
yukio@jic-magic

I understand your situation. JIC coilovers are like any coilovers out there. It's a performance damper and not an OEM spec econodamper. On a side note, most OE parts recommend you change your shocks every 50-60k miles. You on the other hand, have a monotube performance shock. Internally, it has gas, seals (o-rings), and synthetic oil. Like any other car part, it will wear and when it does, it needs to be refreshed.

Most people who have the A2's will rebuild them every year for performance value. Those are the people who will autocross and road race. Their coilovers won't be leaking at all, they want to make sure that they will be performing at a top notch rate. Thus, they want to refresh them internally.

In your case, you have ones that are leaking due to wear and tear, which can happen over time (like any other car part). Again, like any other car part, it needs to be either serviced or replaced. We can do in house rebuilds to make it quick and painless. Please contact us if you have any further questions. Thank you.
Old 01-19-2007 | 01:20 PM
yukio@jic-magic

Originally Posted by Rickdogg
You are lucky that you are local and can probably drop them off as they are located in Downey to get them serviced. Like stated before these are wear items and will eventually wear out. These are high performance parts and couple that with being a wear item and there goes your warranty.

You must have spoken to Yukio. He is a good, fair, level headed guy and will help you in any way possible but it is a bit ridiculous if you expect the shocks to last forever. My 2 cents
^ What Rick said...

If this is Jack, I'm working on scheduling you an appointment with our techs. He's not sure when he can put you in NOW, but he will be able to take care of you shortly.
Old 01-19-2007 | 01:34 PM
Spec_Tacular

Originally Posted by laswyguy
My point is, when I bought some crappy Monroe gas shocks from Kragen auto, they offered a lifetime warranty. I spend $1,800 for some coil-overs and they die after 2.5 years?
No company that makes racing suspension will give it a lifetime warranty plus those warranties are full of limitations anyway.
Old 01-19-2007 | 01:35 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Spec_Tacular
No company that makes racing suspension will give it a lifetime warranty plus those warranties are full of limitations anyway.
BINGO
Old 01-19-2007 | 01:37 PM
Fluid1

It sounds like you don't know what a warranty is. Just because the Monroe shocks offer a lifetime warranty, that does not mean that they won't break down. I could also nearly guarantee that Monroe does not warranty for normal wear and tear

Please tell me you didn't buy A2's for their durability? They are performance coilovers, and are very good coils for race applications. If you don't race at all, you should go for some Tokicos and springs.
Old 01-19-2007 | 01:38 PM
laswyguy

Ok cool thanks Yukio. You seemed like a cool dude..

I'm dropping off my car at Performance Nissan, because they seem to be the only shop who can store my car for a week plus while the parts are out. Let me know asap when your techies are in.

Jack
Old 01-19-2007 | 01:45 PM
yukio@jic-magic

Ok cool thanks Yukio. You seemed like a cool dude..

I'm dropping off my car at Performance Nissan, because they seem to be the only shop who can store my car for a week plus while the parts are out. Let me know asap when your techies are in.

Jack
Jack,
Sounds good. I have your number so, I'll give you a ring when I have a scheduled time with the techs. Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you. Thanks!

-Yukio
Old 01-19-2007 | 02:03 PM
disturbed2483

will you guys only rebuild/service jic cooilovers?
Old 01-19-2007 | 03:16 PM
yukio@jic-magic

Originally Posted by disturbed2483
will you guys only rebuild/service jic cooilovers?
Yes, we do not service any other brand except for JIC and CROSS (Euro JIC products). Thanks

-Yukio
Old 01-19-2007 | 03:26 PM
98sr20ve

After 2.5 years and about 40,000 my right rear stut on my JIC coilover started leaking and is now dead. Needless to say, im pretty pissed? I called the JIC factory and he said that this is normal and your suppose to get them rebuilt every three years? Is this true??
Be glad you got that many years/miles. JIC are know to have those issues. Koni's wont. I had well over 100K on my set on another car. I sell a boatload to Sentra people.
Old 01-19-2007 | 07:15 PM
Gsedan35

Jic failures here are all to common, knowing that made hearing how short their warranty period is unphasing. I had thought it would be interesting to sample the recently introduced FLTA-1, it can't be rebuilt, you buy replacement cores for $125 each. But I won't be buying from a company that hasn't learned the reliablity rates that other have pinned down and excute as a business practice. Way to many other performance fish in the pond to take such risks.
Old 01-19-2007 | 08:14 PM
vince1611

---

Last edited by vince1611; 04-08-2022 at 11:28 PM.
Old 01-20-2007 | 08:00 AM
Q45tech

Why would you not have a spare set of OEM springs and shocks to use during rebuild interval?
Old 01-20-2007 | 09:58 AM
rxkevin

Originally Posted by vince1611
Could you PM me the average going price for a rebuild on a set of a2's? Just want to know incase mine ever blow. Thanks!
Same for me please.
Old 01-22-2007 | 07:40 PM
Fluid1

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
Jic failures here are all to common, knowing that made hearing how short their warranty period is unphasing. I had thought it would be interesting to sample the recently introduced FLTA-1, it can't be rebuilt, you buy replacement cores for $125 each. But I won't be buying from a company that hasn't learned the reliablity rates that other have pinned down and excute as a business practice. Way to many other performance fish in the pond to take such risks.
Well, name a few.

Quick Reply: JIC Flt2a gone bad!!!