Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

How hard to keep painted calipers clean???

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2003, 09:22 AM
mcduck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How hard to keep painted calipers clean???

Just wondering about cleaning the brake calipers if they are painted. Is it difficult to do? And do you have to remove the wheel to do it effectively?

Just wondering because I'm considering upgrading my calipers on the Brickyard and think white would look great with the white side markers.
Old 04-05-2003, 11:49 AM
Rob Nance

Well, a few things. I have had my car about a month, and just painted my calipers. I had to use brake cleaner on them before painting them, and there was not much on the calipers at all (not compared to the wheels). I think the calipers stay pretty much out of harms way as far as brake dust. The stuff I used, from Tirerack, G2 brake caliper painting system, claims they are very easy to clean. I won't know for a while though. Hopefully someone who has also painted their calipers that did it a while ago can share with us.
Old 04-05-2003, 07:46 PM
silverz

Default Cleaning painted calipers

I painted my calipers ed using the G2 kit from Tirerack about 6 weeks. I have washed my car 5 times sincee then and have no problem with cleaning the calipers. They don't seem to get that dirty like the wheels. I use Eagle One wheel cleaner and a toothbrush to clean the rims and I spray the wheel cleaner on the claipers let it sit while I clean the rims and then hose it off the rim and the caliper. It cleans it up great. Hope that helped.
Old 04-07-2003, 03:29 AM
Rob Nance

I cleaned mine yesterday, and they cleaned up real nice, but the nooks and crannies can be a little tough. Maybe something like a brush that is on the end of a stick, kind of a cone shaped brush on the end, that would work. I'm thinking perhaps an aquarium store, or perhaps a hobby store, not sure exactly where I'd find it.
Old 04-08-2003, 09:47 PM
ChinaClipper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the 11,000 miles and 7 months I have had the car, I have taken the wheels off twice and thoroughly cleaned the Brembo calipers. It makes a noticeable difference to clean them this way. I have found that this is the ONLY way to properly clean the calipers. Not only does removing the wheels provide access to the back side of the caliper to be cleaned, but it also allows the sides of the caliper to be washed, as well as allowing compressed air to be sprayed into the caliper crevice to remove brake dust which accumulates besides the brake puck. I admit it is a bit of work to do this, but if you are going to decorate your caliper, I think this extra effort is worth it as dirt/dust/mud shows on the painted caliper surface!
my two cents....