Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Best Coilover you can get?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 07:10 AM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by azula
just to make sure i'm on the same page here.....do coilovers come with after market SHOCKS as well?

so the benefits over springs are ride height adjustability, and shocks...
Yes, coilovers come with aftermarket dampers.

Benefits? In all honesty, all those fancy adjustments with the coilovers are really ever used more than once. Ideally what you should do to utilizae the coilovers is to have the car cornerweighted after installation and alignment so that you can maximize the balance of your car. 99% of coilover owners NEVER do that. Also, coilovers typically come with higher spring rates (usually to mask the crappy damper valving). Springs that are sold separately to mate to a strut / shock are all pretty mild with the exception of the T2 spring.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:15 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

to clarify what John said, crappy coilovers will use crappy spring rates to mask their crappy valving.

If you are spending $1000 on a set of coilovers, don't expect to set the world on fire in terms of handling. You'll get adjustable rideheight, sometimes adjustable dampening (well, at least you'll be able to turn a **** and think you're doing something), but in all liklihood, the car will handle worse than it did before.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:20 AM
whitenizmo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After all these info, I believe I will just for springs with stock shocks as I wont track my Z this yr...
Old 03-30-2007, 07:36 AM
cubu

might as well wear out the stock shocks first, 2 years dropped on my stock shocks and they are still going strong
Old 03-30-2007, 01:15 PM
ke0ki2k

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
to clarify what John said, crappy coilovers will use crappy spring rates to mask their crappy valving.

If you are spending $1000 on a set of coilovers, don't expect to set the world on fire in terms of handling. You'll get adjustable rideheight, sometimes adjustable dampening (well, at least you'll be able to turn a **** and think you're doing something), but in all liklihood, the car will handle worse than it did before.
what about tein basics ?
Old 03-30-2007, 01:18 PM
ke0ki2k

Originally Posted by John
Unless you truly know how to utilize your adustments to the fullest, don't bother with the TCKRs. When you're playing with two separate adjustments (compression and rebound), you're more likely to make the car worse unless you truly know what you're doing. The single adjustment on the Teins (and pretty much all single adjustable "tuner" kits) affects both bump and rebound, and provides a muted median. However, if you really know what you're doing and you can baseline settings on a track and work from there, the TCKRs are the way to go. Also, the TCKRs are specifically valved for the T2 springs - all other "tuner" coilover kits have pretty poor dampening valving and usually mask it with high spring rates. And since 99% of the people who buy them don't know, they continue to sell tons of them because they look pretty.

well im still learning suspension so i doubt i could utilize an advanced suspension kit like TcKlines then. Guess i'll opt for Tein basics since everyone says they perform fairly well and 504lbs should be stiff enough for my purposes. just hope the valving is good
Old 03-30-2007, 01:37 PM
pss350z

Tokico D-spec. KIT

I've been told this would be great for someone just looking to drop their car, I'm looking into these or Tein Basics myself.

http://hpautoworks.chainreactionweb....e54688e961e521

I'm not sure if the link is for the kit (shocks and springs) cause it goes for over $750, I emailed the vendor the other day for that info. I'm hoping to get word from them cause this seems awfully cheap for both shocks and springs, it most likely is for the shocks alone. The link states "Tokico D-Spec Adj Shock Kit" which going by Tokico site is shocks and springs but here most likely is a typo. They also have the Tein Basics on this site for $780.

I'm participating in your group buy and may add either one of the mentioned setups.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:10 PM
cubu

i had a horrible experience with HPAuto, i suggest pming trusted sponsors for best price
Old 03-30-2007, 02:15 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Tokico - http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...ng&prodid=1114

Nice setup, not my fav (I vastly prefer the Koni's) but works well

Tein's - http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...ing&prodid=303

Takes us a few days to get either

Koni's we stock
Old 04-01-2007, 07:04 AM
andy2434

So, what you are essentially saying is . . . Once installed, Tein Basics will not afford better handling but the opposite? I am deciding on a set of Tein Basics inlieu of a revising my current aftermarket springs matched with a set of Dspec 9's.

Your comments are quite to the contrary and confusing to what I have read. Can you please qualify a bit more? I trust that you were speaking in broad terms.

Last edited by andy2434; 04-01-2007 at 07:06 AM.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:08 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

did I make mention of any specific coilover in my post? It was a general post, that did not make mention of any specific brand, etc.

Not to be rude, but all the info is out there - and alot of it is info I've posted many times before. I know it can be a pain but the search function on this site happens to work really really well if you take the time to play with it a bit.

The Tein Basics are a cost effective way to lower your car and offer a fairly compliant ride for day to day use. I

If you truly want to improve handling, you start with tires,then move to alignment, then sways, then the right set of springs/shocks, in that order.

It seems lots of people rush to do coilovers and then team with crappy tires (because they say good ones are too expensive?). Or, they slam the car on the ground with various springs, cutting mounts, etc, and then wonder why it rides like crap or handles poorly. But they won't invest a few hundred bucks in an SPC kit and an alignment done by a reputable shop.

Handling starts with tires...so does ride quality.

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 04-01-2007 at 07:13 AM.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:50 AM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

did I make mention of any specific coilover in my post? It was a general post, that did not make mention of any specific brand, etc.

Not to be rude, but all the info is out there - and alot of it is info I've posted many times before. I know it can be a pain but the search function on this site happens to work really really well if you take the time to play with it a bit.

The Tein Basics are a cost effective way to lower your car and offer a fairly compliant ride for day to day use. I

If you truly want to improve handling, you start with tires,then move to alignment, then sways, then the right set of springs/shocks, in that order.

It seems lots of people rush to do coilovers and then team with crappy tires (because they say good ones are too expensive?). Or, they slam the car on the ground with various springs, cutting mounts, etc, and then wonder why it rides like crap or handles poorly. But they won't invest a few hundred bucks in an SPC kit and an alignment done by a reputable shop.

QFT. Tires will affect overall lap times and overall performance so much more. Better tires help you launch better, handle better, and brake better.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:15 AM
andy2434

Thank you very much for your timely response. No, you were not rude in the least bit. I have already installed the Stillen sway bars, camber kit, wheels and tires . . . And now wish to complete the package for daily and weekend twisty driving. Thanks for erasing my concerns.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:44 AM
MoodDude

Originally Posted by ke0ki2k
why cant you store it on the ground with wheels on for long mood? and btw mood what would you get if your main playground was a touge style mountain road (the dragon), Tein basic coilovers or TcKline Konis with T2 springs?
What would I get if I where you. Well from my track experience that will directly translate into mountain driving there are some simple things you can do that will give you more than what you are asking for:

1. Tires (everyone should know this)

2. Your Seat, yes your seat will make you faster on road coarses and mountain roads. Most people overlook this important item and think some majical suspension mod will make them corner faster. With a proper seat that holds the driver in postion, a seat that better communicate to the driver what exactly the car is doing, and all the controls are easy/comfortable to operate you will be able to push the car closer to the limits of your tires. Something simple you can do and won't cost you anything are:
- Move the seat all the way back, put on your seat belt. Yank on the seat belt to engage the stop, move your seat forward so the belt is tight.
- Ensure that your arms are in the bent position when they are on the steering wheel.
- Ensure that your side mirrors are not look at the exact same place as your rear view mirror. Most people set them to look at the same place, but you want a wider vision of the road around you.
- Can you reach the shifter easy? Adjust your seat so that you don't have to strech to reach 5 gear.
- Wear thin soled shoes so that you can feel what the front end of the car is doing.
- Take you wallet out of you back pocket before getting in the car so your butt and back can feel what the rear end of the car is doing.

3. A proper alignment.

Before buying anything - try the seat ideas, you will be glad you did since you didn't have to spend any money to make the car faster!
Old 04-01-2007, 05:19 PM
John

Originally Posted by MoodDude
2. Your Seat, yes your seat will make you faster on road coarses and mountain roads. Most people overlook this important item and think some majical suspension mod will make them corner faster. With a proper seat that holds the driver in postion, a seat that better communicate to the driver what exactly the car is doing, and all the controls are easy/comfortable to operate you will be able to push the car closer to the limits of your tires. Something simple you can do and won't cost you anything are:
- Move the seat all the way back, put on your seat belt. Yank on the seat belt to engage the stop, move your seat forward so the belt is tight.
- Ensure that your arms are in the bent position when they are on the steering wheel.
- Ensure that your side mirrors are not look at the exact same place as your rear view mirror. Most people set them to look at the same place, but you want a wider vision of the road around you.
- Can you reach the shifter easy? Adjust your seat so that you don't have to strech to reach 5 gear.
- Wear thin soled shoes so that you can feel what the front end of the car is doing.
- Take you wallet out of you back pocket before getting in the car so your butt and back can feel what the rear end of the car is doing.
So simple, but oh so true.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:17 PM
jinsei888

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

STANCE SUS coilovers
Old 04-15-2007, 07:26 PM
ke0ki2k

yeah those tips do help alot. When i go to the gap i set the seat way farther up and wear my wrestling shoes. taking the wallet out helps too, no sore *** cheeks from hard cornering with a wad of leather on your back right cheek. wheels/tires, then alignment, then sways?
Old 04-16-2007, 03:45 PM
HiHo_Silver350

Originally Posted by ke0ki2k
what about tein basics ?
I've owned these coilovers well over 2 years in the past on a different car and i would have to say the ride comfort isn't so great. like the author of this thread, i was only looking for a drop and a small improvement in handling. it actually did give me a slight improvement. but the comfort wasn't what i expected. But what are you going to expect from the "basic" coilover system. the only thing you'll be doing is adjusting the car up and down and up and down. no adjustable dampening. and the joy of "3-wheeling" up certain driveways. hell i might end up buying these again
Old 04-16-2007, 03:47 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

remember too that the overall "comfort" of any coilover is completely dependant on the tires you are using
Old 04-16-2007, 07:07 PM
Changvi

Originally Posted by whitenizmo
Guys, I will spend 1000$ on the coilover. The reason I want to drop the car is just for the look, not necessary going on track with it. I want to find something is a combination of comfort/performance. I want to drop at least 1.5 inch front and rear. The suspension doesnt have to be new, any suggestion on which brand or model?
I also have Tein Basics as well, and they ride very well for the price and performance since i don't auto cross at all. I've lowered about 1.25 in the front and about 1.1 in the rear. These are the pictures i took recently which shows the extent of the drop. It'll give you some idea how 1.5 in the rear will look like in relative to my drop. But i don't recommend doing that since you will encounter excessive negative camber.

Last edited by Changvi; 05-22-2007 at 10:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Best Coilover you can get?