Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007 | 05:06 PM
ZSpectrum

Default Lowering springs

Im looking to get some tein s-techs and use them on the track as well as the street. What else will I need to be able to do the lowering the correct way, and what other parts would help my handling. Will the stechs drop it to low? Im on 18 inch wheels, Tire sizes in sig. I Also plan to get a nismo wing, will It offer any real life down force help? Going 100+? Thanks for your help.
Old 04-03-2007 | 05:12 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic
Premier Member

some koni or tokico shocks to go with them. you should be able to stay within alignment specs with the S techs.

You should also look into swaybars and end links.

If you wanted to be able to dial in your alignment for track and street use, look at the cusco front A arms and the spc rear camber & toe kit. Both are very affordable.

What size tires do you have on the rims? equal at all 4 corners?
Old 04-03-2007 | 05:32 PM
ZSpectrum

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z
some koni or tokico shocks to go with them. you should be able to stay within alignment specs with the S techs.

If you wanted to be able to dial in your alignment for track and street use, look at the cusco front A arms and the spc rear camber & toe kit. Both are very affordable.

I believe its 275/45/ 18 in the back and 265/45/18 in the front. The wheels are all 9.5 inchs wide. Which kini or toniko shocks should I go with. Should I get hotchkis sway bars? Those seem to be very popular.
Old 04-03-2007 | 05:42 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Koni's
http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...ng&prodid=1117

Tokico D-spec
http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...ng&prodid=1114

Hotchkis Sways are fine
http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...ng&prodid=1345
Old 04-03-2007 | 05:46 PM
gabez33

Are the tein S tech springs an overall improvement over stock? I mean even at top end? We were discussing lower a car today at work and the boss started talking about how putting lower springs affects top end speed...and well hes a Colonel and I didnt want to disagree!~
Old 04-03-2007 | 05:48 PM
ZSpectrum

As usual, thanks usn. Which do you think is better of the two shocks/ struts for street/ track use?
Old 04-03-2007 | 05:50 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Koni's are bad *** (and expensive)

I run the Tokicos and have nothing bad to say about them.
Old 04-03-2007 | 06:19 PM
ZSpectrum

Would the nismo g-attack be a good option as well. I have the option of getting one used maybe, on the cheap.
Old 04-03-2007 | 06:23 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Originally Posted by ZSpectrum
Would the nismo g-attack be a good option as well. I have the option of getting one used maybe, on the cheap.
I think those would suit you well as long as you get them for a good price.
Old 04-03-2007 | 06:37 PM
Justin@WestCovinaNissan
Banned

If you are looking for just a shock/spring combo, the Nismo S-Tune kit is a nice setup also however, there are a lot of coilover kits on the market around that price range or just a bit more that you might get a little more out of.

In all honestly, the Tein S-Tech doesnt lower the car much and will not help your handling as much.

What is more important to you? handling? the drop? price?

Also, to answer your question on top end, etc. Your suspension will not effect the powertrain performance of any vehicle. However when going lower you do alter the suspension geometry and will change characteristics of how the car handles. Additionally, spring rates can change how a vehicle reacts when launching (i.e. traction characteristics). Just some things to keep in mind.

Last edited by Justin@WestCovinaNissan; 04-03-2007 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-03-2007 | 06:48 PM
gabez33

Originally Posted by Justin@WestCovinaNissan
If you are looking for just a shock/spring combo, the Nismo S-Tune kit is a nice setup also however, there are a lot of coilover kits on the market around that price range or just a bit more that you might get a little more out of.

In all honestly, the Tein S-Tech doesnt lower the car much and will not help your handling as much.

Also, to answer your question on top end, etc. Your suspension will not effect the powertrain performance of any vehicle. However when going lower you do alter the suspension geometry and will change characteristics of how the car handles. Additionally, spring rates can change how a vehicle reacts when launching (i.e. traction characteristics). Just some things to keep in mind.
great info...thanx...so what spring offers the best of both worlds?? Or close to it? I am looking for no more than 1 inch drop and noticeable better than stock handling.....not out to be the grand track master!
Old 04-03-2007 | 09:59 PM
mavtais

Try these:
https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension/231140-swift-sport-mach-springs-just-installed.html
They're great. And you can get the alignment done with the stock links, it's all good.
Old 04-04-2007 | 10:33 AM
Gsedan35

The drop between the two setups isn't that different.

Nismo S-tune (twin tube construction, uses progressive springs)
350Z .8"/.8" drop
Spring rates 448/504

Tein S-tech 350Z springs .7“.6“ (fronts are progressive, rears are linear)
Spring rates in LBS 386/402

Granted the S-tune setup is priced in the neighborhood of some coilover systems. However, the S-tune setup is a better choice then for someone to end up with then to go with a cheap coilover that was removed way too early from the R&D oven and isn't nearly as well sorted. Next to the HKS RS, Nismo S-tune's have the greatest number of positive owner review's you can find on this board. I know it can be a tuff road to travel when people whine about price or don't really know what makes good setups good or bad one's bad, but sticking up for the S-tune setup leaves you on pretty firm ground.
Old 04-04-2007 | 10:36 AM
Gsedan35

Originally Posted by mavtais
Try these:
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=231140
They're great. And you can get the alignment done with the stock links, it's all good.
S-tech's have higher spring rates, even if the front's are slightly progressive, which means they will represent a better choice for what he's looking for.
Old 04-04-2007 | 10:38 AM
Gsedan35

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z

Agreed, though I don't really see the need for aftermarket end linds other then getting much better durability. And that would be swaybars as in adjustable front and rear.
Old 04-04-2007 | 02:35 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
Agreed, though I don't really see the need for aftermarket end linds other then getting much better durability. And that would be swaybars as in adjustable front and rear.
I put that is do to the fact a lot of people have had issues with the stock endlinks. I bought some of the new SPL endlinks and they are very stout I must say.
Old 04-04-2007 | 02:37 PM
Fluid1

To be honest with you, I would never, ever consider Tein. Or Tokico..... or JIC.....I can continue.
Old 04-04-2007 | 02:59 PM
ZSpectrum

Originally Posted by gabez33
great info...thanx...so what spring offers the best of both worlds?? Or close to it? I am looking for no more than 1 inch drop and noticeable better than stock handling.....not out to be the grand track master!
Make your own thread
Old 04-04-2007 | 03:03 PM
ZSpectrum

Handling would be #1 #2 would be drop and #3 would be price. What about the tein basic kit? I saw that it was about 800 or so. I dont think the stune deal is gonna work out. Ride quality is not really an issue. Im still used to riding around in a big jeep on rock crawling tires. The z's like riding in a benz. I just want some good solid handling that feels very planted at all speeds, and can turn with the best of them. Would the tein basic coilover kit be a good thing. Im really needing a brake upgrade and suspenshion, and would like to get both at the same time so price is kind of key. Im hoping to get outta this with only spending 4500 or so on parts.
Old 04-04-2007 | 03:22 PM
Fluid1

Originally Posted by ZSpectrum
Handling would be #1 #2 would be drop and #3 would be price. What about the tein basic kit? I saw that it was about 800 or so. I dont think the stune deal is gonna work out. Ride quality is not really an issue. Im still used to riding around in a big jeep on rock crawling tires. The z's like riding in a benz. I just want some good solid handling that feels very planted at all speeds, and can turn with the best of them. Would the tein basic coilover kit be a good thing. Im really needing a brake upgrade and suspenshion, and would like to get both at the same time so price is kind of key. Im hoping to get outta this with only spending 4500 or so on parts.

If you want an excellent brake and suspension upgrade that will outperform most BBK and 'big name' coilovers (jic, tein, ect) then here.

Brakes-Resurface the stock rotors($60). Get some great pads, Endless or Hawk HP+.($110-200) Stainless steel braided brake lines($125), Motul dot-4 fluid($25). = $320-410.

Suspension-Koni Yellows($750) Good linear springs($300) Camber arms($400) Toe Bolts ($100)= $1550

That's under $2000. I would love to set a stock Z up with this setup and take on some of the guys with BBK's and FLTA2's.
What you do with that extra $2500 is up to you

Quick Reply: Lowering springs