Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Review of EBC "Green Stuff" pads for front non-Brembos.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 08:56 PM
droideka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Review of EBC "Green Stuff" pads for front non-Brembos.

I've recently auditioned a set of these pads for Steve (PartsPeddler) at Courtesy Nissan and wanted to share my findings. I swapped out the original stock pads for the EBCs a little over two weeks ago and have since then put over 1,400 miles on them. Prior to the swap I had my rotors resurfaced and flushed the brake system with Valvoline Synpower DOT 4+ synthetic fluid. I'm still using stock, rubber brake lines.

First, these pads dust less than 30% of what the shitty stocks pads do! I could go for three to four days without fretting about wiping dust off the wheels. Second, for heavy/sporting street use, these pads are OUTSTANDING. Opposite of the stock pad's linear action, the EBC Green Stuff pads have a very progressive bite. If you brake normally you won't feel any more resistance than stock pads, but as you apply more brake pedal the pads bite even harder. The faster you brake, the quicker they bite. The more you brake, the harder they bite. I found this to be a very inexpensive way to immediately increase the stopping power of the stock, non-Brembo set-up.

In addition to around-town/highway miles, I also put over 150 miles on the EBCs this weekend at a two-day track event out at Motorsport Ranch in Cresson, TX. The first day I wasn't too hard on the brakes, but did have them smoking and burning on the track. There's nothing like the smell of HOT brakes! No fade whatsoever and my fluid did not move at all from the MAX line all day Saturday. Sunday was a much harder day, but I still experienced NO FADE at all. The fluid only dropped less than 1/16th of an inch all weekend as the pad material wore off. I've peeked at the pads and there is still PLENTY of material left although I will be taking the calipers apart this weekend to get a closer look. In all honesty, I don't think the Green Stuffs are up to the task of supporting the weight of the Z for heavy track use. If I had been threshold braking all weekend, I think there would have been a significant amount of pad breakdown as the rotors did begin to score by the last session. That being said, I will be trying on a set of fresh rotors and the EBC Yellow Stuff pads with SS brake lines and new fluid before going the route of a $2000 big brake kit. I do think that there is some inexpensive experimention to be had that may suit some track applications.

In closing, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND these pads for heavy street driver who doesn't intend to do any track time. For $70 you can greatly increase the feel and stopping power of your stock brakes, not to mention DRASTICALLY reducing the amount of dust that accumulates on your rims.

You can order EBC Green Stuff pads directly from Courtesy Parts.

Last edited by droideka; 04-15-2003 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:20 PM
Judge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are thay noisy?
Old 04-15-2003, 09:49 PM
droideka

Originally posted by Judge
Are thay noisy?
Not at all. They got real noisy last night on my way home (about 24 hours after the last track session), but made no noise today whatsoever.
Old 04-16-2003, 12:04 AM
TheLex

Awesome report! I've read many good things about the EBC greenstuff pads before. Some people are concerned about voiding factory warranty, but IMHO it's a non-issue for the Nissan, whose rotors are not all that expensive.

Three issues:

1) Do these pads need to be fully warmed up before they give good bite (like race pads)? Street drivers rarely get the pads warmed up enough to use race spec pads.

2) You might want to check out this website :
http://www.frozenrotors.com/brakefaq.shtml

3) what do you think of the SS brake lines? I replaced the stockers on my SUV with SS lines, but the pedal feel did not change much. I suspect it is mainly because the aftermarket SS kits only replace a very short length of the brake line. The majority of the lines are still rubber.
Old 04-16-2003, 04:26 AM
ChinaClipper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the report droid.

You didn't do any actual measurement of the braking capability (like 60-0 stopping distances) before and after did you?
Old 04-16-2003, 04:48 AM
BillR

Thumbs down

I don't like to rain on the parade, but I tried EBC greenstuff on my Mercedes CLK. The main idea was to lessen the brake dust. IMHO they were crap, still lots of dust and they squeeled too. Now as far as bite and performance they were better, but refer to my second sentence.

On my G35C (NON Brembo) I installed Hawk HPS Pads about 3 weeks ago, Model # HB268. Now I have almost zero dust, and couldn't be happier. I simply don't have to clean the wheels any more.

Now If anyone can give me a part # for any mfg's rear pads of a non-Brembo Z or G, I'd appreciate it. That way I can cross reference and get Hawk HPS for the rears.
Old 04-16-2003, 05:49 AM
React3

I also had Green Stuff on my Accord Coupe and they sucked braking power got better , but still plenty of dust.
Old 04-16-2003, 06:10 AM
PartsPeddler
Sponsor
Courtesy Nissan

Very nice write-up, Brad. We have several sets of these pads on the road now and the response has all been very positive. I knew you wouldn't pull any punches with your assessment.

Steve
Old 04-16-2003, 06:17 AM
blaque

Originally posted by BillR
I don't like to rain on the parade, but I tried EBC greenstuff on my Mercedes CLK. The main idea was to lessen the brake dust. IMHO they were crap, still lots of dust and they squeeled too. Now as far as bite and performance they were better, but refer to my second sentence.

On my G35C (NON Brembo) I installed Hawk HPS Pads about 3 weeks ago, Model # HB268. Now I have almost zero dust, and couldn't be happier. I simply don't have to clean the wheels any more.

Now If anyone can give me a part # for any mfg's rear pads of a non-Brembo Z or G, I'd appreciate it. That way I can cross reference and get Hawk HPS for the rears.
Where did you get your Hawk pads (how much)? Thanks.
Old 04-16-2003, 06:58 AM
mcclaskz

Droid-
In addition to SS lines, fluid and track only pads, after my track session, I have decided to take off the rotor guards and do some minor duct work. Hopefully this will fix some of the brake fade problems.
Old 04-16-2003, 07:52 AM
droideka

Originally posted by TheLex
Awesome report! I've read many good things about the EBC greenstuff pads before. Some people are concerned about voiding factory warranty, but IMHO it's a non-issue for the Nissan, whose rotors are not all that expensive.

Three issues:

1) Do these pads need to be fully warmed up before they give good bite (like race pads)? Street drivers rarely get the pads warmed up enough to use race spec pads.

2) You might want to check out this website :
http://www.frozenrotors.com/brakefaq.shtml

3) what do you think of the SS brake lines? I replaced the stockers on my SUV with SS lines, but the pedal feel did not change much. I suspect it is mainly because the aftermarket SS kits only replace a very short length of the brake line. The majority of the lines are still rubber.
1) No warm-up required. Pads are grabbing as early as 100 F.
2) I'll check that out.
3) I haven't installed SS lines just yet.
Old 04-16-2003, 08:24 AM
droideka

Originally posted by BillR

Well, you must not be using your brakes if you're not getting any dust. SKiDaZZLe has HPS pads front and rear on his Brembos and gets PLENTY of dusting.
Old 04-16-2003, 08:40 AM
nissan03

Post Carbotech

Carbotech can make non-Brembo pads F/R with any of their compounds from street (Bobcat) to racing (Panther), as well as Hawk compounds.

The Bobcat is $100 F, $90 R, including 10% My350Z discount...

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=26129

I've heard good/bad things about EBC Green and Red pads. Based on Carbotech's reputation, I'd also give them serious consideration. They're just not a reseller... They make and test their own compounds and pads.

Give Matt a call for more info... 1-877-899-5024

http://www.carbotecheng.com

BillR... Isn't the G35C brake setup the same as the Z?

Last edited by nissan03; 04-16-2003 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-16-2003, 05:46 PM
MaddMatt

I hope EBC has changed their formulation since I tried them 2 years ago. My God, what a disaster. 60 track miles, worn down to backing plate. Actually that event was the moment that solidified in my mind that Carbotech knew what they were doing (LONG before I started working there).

I could go on for hours as to why I think EBC just won't work in this country but I won't bore you. When I see someone win the Valvoline Runoffs with an EBC product, I'll change my tune. My prediction: never EVER happen.
Old 04-16-2003, 06:34 PM
BillR

Originally posted by droidekaus
Well, you must not be using your brakes if you're not getting any dust. SKiDaZZLe has HPS pads front and rear on his Brembos and gets PLENTY of dusting.
Well I am not someone that thinks he is a race car drive because I bought a quick car.

Actually, I just open the door and use my foot to slow down.
Old 05-18-2003, 06:25 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

does EBC have rear pads? didn't see it on Courtesyparts.

Thanks for the review, I think I will give this pad a try!
Old 05-18-2003, 07:42 AM
hfm

Default Re: Review of EBC "Green Stuff" pads for front non-Brembos.

Originally posted by droideka
I swapped out the original stock pads for the EBCs a little over two weeks ago and have since then put over 1,400 miles on them. Prior to the swap I had my rotors resurfaced and flushed the brake system with Valvoline Synpower DOT 4+ synthetic fluid. I'm still using stock, rubber brake lines.

I found this to be a very inexpensive way to immediately increase the stopping power of the stock, non-Brembo set-up.

For $70 you can greatly increase the feel and stopping power of your stock brakes, not to mention DRASTICALLY reducing the amount of dust that accumulates on your rims.
Droid, I want to clarify something. I thought you changed out to the StopTech brakes. Your post suggests you were using the stock, non-Brembro brakes. But, weren't you infact using the 13.1 STs?

Were you using stock brakes with these pads or were you using STs with these pads? Cause obviously, having an extra 2+ inches of rotor and larger caliper/pistons would make a difference when compared to stocks. Thanks.
Old 05-18-2003, 08:29 AM
droideka

Originally posted by hfm
Droid, I want to clarify something. I thought you changed out to the StopTech brakes. Your post suggests you were using the stock, non-Brembro brakes. But, weren't you infact using the 13.1 STs?

Were you using stock brakes with these pads or were you using STs with these pads? Cause obviously, having an extra 2+ inches of rotor and larger caliper/pistons would make a difference when compared to stocks. Thanks.
My post suggests that because I was on the stock brakes with the EBCs. The pads are GREAT for anything short of a track day. Worth it for the EXTREME reduction in dusting alone, but, I repeat, NOT for the track.
Old 05-18-2003, 08:38 AM
hfm

Originally posted by droideka
My post suggests that because I was on the stock brakes with the EBCs. The pads are GREAT for anything short of a track day. Worth it for the EXTREME reduction in dusting alone, but, I repeat, NOT for the track.
Okay man. I'll order from Courtesy when I'm changing pads. Thanks.
Old 05-18-2003, 08:48 AM
SHIFTZ

im with BillR on this one.

I fitted EBC Green Stuff Pads on my Alfa 156 primarily to avoid the dreaded Euro brake dust, but found them far too noisy when just crawling in traffic and light braking. Sure there was a little less dust, but the loss of brake pedal feel and noise outweighed ne advantages. Also, being a hard pad they can damage and prematurely create uneven disc ware.....i was also told by a friend in the know that the metal particles they emit when braking (i.e brake dust) can actually stick to the alloys when they are hot have yet to c it happen tho

Neadless to say, within 3 days i had a new set of OEM Alfa pads and a fresh bucket of water with a wet chamois in my garage.

Quick Reply: Review of EBC "Green Stuff" pads for front non-Brembos.