Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Front Camber Kits to fix feathering..

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007 | 09:52 AM
dskang100

Default Front Camber Kits to fix feathering..

I've been looking at camber kits in order to fix the feathering issue, I figure paying the couple hundred now will save me that much money in tires later.. So I was thinking would the Cusco A-Arms work? These are the specs according to the wiki at another 350z site which it wouldn't allow me to post the name of: +.5 Deg to -1.5 Deg ?
Old 04-22-2007 | 09:36 PM
redlude97

at stock height or lowered?
Old 04-23-2007 | 03:13 AM
Lawn Dart

Feathering is caused by an incorrect toe adjustment, not camber.
Old 04-23-2007 | 06:06 AM
Q45tech

Don't confuse heel to toe feathering [not rotating] with across block feathering [wrong toe].
Old 04-23-2007 | 07:12 AM
dskang100

Originally Posted by Lawn Dart
Feathering is caused by an incorrect toe adjustment, not camber.
What do you mean? I thought I have to adjust the CAMBER on the front wheels in order to fix the issue of feathering?
Old 04-23-2007 | 07:13 AM
dskang100

Originally Posted by redlude97
at stock height or lowered?
Lowered with Hotchkis springs.
Old 04-23-2007 | 07:18 AM
Gsedan35

Originally Posted by dskang100
Lowered with Hotchkis springs.
Your still on oem unrevised shocks aren't you? IMO, chuck the unrevised shocks and make sure your toe is set correctly.
Old 04-23-2007 | 08:16 AM
dskang100

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
Your still on oem unrevised shocks aren't you? IMO, chuck the unrevised shocks and make sure your toe is set correctly.
I've been away from this site for a very long time and yes I am on a 2003 "Unrevised" (Stock shocks).. what do you recommend I get to fix the tire issue?

Yeah maybe there has been a permanent fix.. and that's to just get new shocks..
Old 04-23-2007 | 04:39 PM
zzz350

Do the SPC A-arms have a toe adjustment?
Old 04-23-2007 | 04:46 PM
Q45tech

Heel toe feathering bacame an issue in the early 90's when directional treads began as a marketing device to sell tires. Marketeers found out that directional tires perfomed a tiny bit better in wet conditions while the tread was near brand new and owners were not likely to spend money demounting and flipping tires to rotate them, so they wore out much sooner due to the inability to reverse scrub the heel toe feather of the tread blocks.

The heel toe is much like the effect on shoe heels from pointenated leg bones which creates a caster like effect. The higher the caster the more severe the heel toe effect becomes.

When BMW like performance became desirable in the early 90's Nissan added higher Caster to emulate.

The combination of high caster and increased camber in turning [when you steer] creates most problems the higher the turn andle the more negative camber gain you get.

Toe can add additional stress on the flimsey tire block attachment which is not stress relieved by sipes on performance tires.

We have been dealing with these problems on Q and 300zx since 1990 when direction tires are used..............why the Q used a non directional oem Michelin which wore to the core in 15,000 miles but never feathered because they were rotated every 3,750.

You can change things with toe but not eliminate the problem with directional tires.

Use Michelin PS2 or other non directionals and rotate side to side frequently.
Old 04-23-2007 | 04:52 PM
zzz350

Originally Posted by Q45tech
Heel toe feathering bacame an issue in the early 90's when directional treads began as a marketing device to sell tires. Marketeers found out that directional tires perfomed a tiny bit better in wet conditions while the tread was near brand new and owners were not likely to spend money demounting and flipping tires to rotate them, so they wore out much sooner due to the inability to reverse scrub the heel toe feather of the tread blocks.

The heel toe is much like the effect on shoe heels from pointenated leg bones which creates a caster like effect. The higher the caster the more severe the heel toe effect becomes.

When BMW like performance became desirable in the early 90's Nissan added higher Caster to emulate.

The combination of high caster and increased camber in turning [when you steer] creates most problems the higher the turn andle the more negative camber gain you get.

Toe can add additional stress on the flimsey tire block attachment which is not stress relieved by sipes on performance tires.

We have been dealing with these problems on Q and 300zx since 1990 when direction tires are used..............why the Q used a non directional oem Michelin which wore to the core in 15,000 miles but never feathered because they were rotated every 3,750.

You can change things with toe but not eliminate the problem with directional tires.

Does that mean that SPC A-Arms don't come with toe adjuster, LOL.
Old 04-23-2007 | 09:38 PM
adrianko43

You can already adjust the toe on the Z without buying any additional parts.
Old 04-24-2007 | 05:33 AM
zzz350

Originally Posted by adrianko43
You can already adjust the toe on the Z without buying any additional parts.
Even on a 2003?
Old 04-24-2007 | 06:40 AM
adrianko43

Yes.
Old 04-24-2007 | 07:11 AM
zzz350

Wow, I have been reading this board since 2004, and I have never heard that, in fact, just the opposite.
Old 04-24-2007 | 07:29 AM
Gsedan35

Originally Posted by zzz350
Wow, I have been reading this board since 2004, and I have never heard that, in fact, just the opposite.
You can adjust front and rear toe with the car's built in adjustment systems, on all production 350Z's from job one to the car's rolling of the lines as we speak. In the rear, the catch is, you have a limited range it can do. And when you dial out negitive camber in the rear, you take away some of the toe control that you dialed in. So when you use aftermarket rear camber arms, you generally need to add in a aftermarket rear toe control system because you need greater toe range because of taking out more negitive camber. Also notice that thier is no such thing as a front aftermarket toe control system other then some parts geared towards the drifting crowd for serving up greater steering angles.
Old 04-24-2007 | 07:34 AM
zzz350

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
You can adjust front and rear toe with the car's built in adjustment systems, on all production 350Z's from job one to the car's rolling of the lines as we speak. In the rear, the catch is, you have a limited range it can do. And when you dial out negitive camber in the rear, you take away some of the toe control that you dialed in. So when you use aftermarket rear camber arms, you generally need to add in a aftermarket rear toe control system because you need greater toe range because of taking out more negitive camber. Also notice that thier is no such thing as a front aftermarket toe control system other then some parts geared towards the drifting crowd for serving up greater steering angles.
Gracias Gsed, I have never read anything like you just said, and I have been watching carefully for info. I have just ordered some Tanabe NF210 and now I see I may need to order some more stuff for the rear. Thx again.
Old 04-24-2007 | 07:39 AM
Gsedan35

Originally Posted by Q45tech

The topic of feathering has been the subject of a extreamly high number of threads and posts here since 2003, their have been several causes proposed over time some more agreed apon then others. I can only speak for myself, on Koni shocks or Megan racing coilovers at oem height or a .8" drop I did not have tire feathering. Within a few thousand miles of reinstalling my oem 2003 350Z shocks I got front feathering back again. I'm now on the setup in my sig and have since flipped the front tires and don't have the issue.
Old 04-24-2007 | 08:05 AM
Q45tech

This type of feathering has been seen much more often on trucks:

http://www.kaltire.com/commercial/me...tires/heel.php
http://www.fisk-tires.com/misalignmentChart.html
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6196288.html

Google: directional tire heel toe feathering
Old 04-24-2007 | 10:38 AM
Kimosabe

is feathering an issue on the 2004 models?

Quick Reply: Front Camber Kits to fix feathering..