Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

How do Wilwood BBKs stack up to OEM Brembos/Stoptechs/AP Racing/Rotoras/..etc?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 03:22 AM
JDMFairladyZ33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do Wilwood BBKs stack up to OEM Brembos/Stoptechs/AP Racing/Rotoras/..etc?

Lately I've been in the market to upgrade my brakes. With the prices of BBKs nearing the cost of some F/I kits, It's been very hard for me to justify such a purchase since I don't track my car. Recently I've seen Wilwood BBKs selling at an awesome price:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....hlight=wilwood

For people in the know, how are these kits compared to the stock Brembos and other BBKs? I've searched around and there seems to be mixed reviews. Some people say they are good and others say they are "American Trash" that you'll just end up upgrading/toss. The price of this kit is even cheaper than what people are selling their OEM Brembos for. So basically for around the $2000 price range would you guys get these Wilwoods? Does the price discount reflect the quality? What are some issues Wilwood owners have encountered? So far I've seem people complaining about the zinc build ups and parking brake issue. I just want to get some feedback before I call the Wilwood people up for their opinion.

Last edited by JDMFairladyZ33; 05-02-2007 at 03:32 AM.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:13 AM
sumfknguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*subscribed and free bump!!
Old 05-02-2007, 05:25 AM
ATL_Red_G35

Wilwood company is just like Stoptech, they've been around and known to a lot others.

I've seen many Honda guys running them (S2k, NSX, etc.) as well as a lot of other Z owners.

For each car, the applications are different. Up until now, they've been just a "kit" pieced together by smaller shops/company. Hence the quality varies. But they're pretty good in general. Others Z owners on here have ran Wilwood before, and they held up fine.

However, recently, they did came out with the complete kit, made by them. I'd believe the quality to be a lot better.

One negative thing I've heard of was the "OLD" Wilwood kit sold by Evolution folks (a long time ago). They have minor vibration under heavy braking after continuous track sessions. Then again, this is the old kit, pieced together couple years ago. That's not very bad though if you're just a intermediate tracker or less and don't track the car often.

For normal driving to advance track (with small sessions) they held up fine. I'd go for them. Best bang for the bucks.

I believe they're a bit better than OEM brembo, according to the feedback others gave me. They stack up pretty nice with that of Rotora.

Stoptech kit is a little better and suitable for longer sessions of track (advance level). But also have fade issues when running sessions back to back.

The most proven kit is the AP Racing. A lot of track junkies uses them such as the VRT Crew, Eagle1, Sharif@Forged, etc. IMO, they're the best. I've rode in them before, and they held up wonderfully sessions after sessions.

If I was to choose:

Wilwood = street up to intermediate/advance track level
Rotora = street up to advance track level (short sessions)
Stoptech = up to Advance track, longer session with breaks
AP = Hardcore track junkie

Go here for the latest Wilwood kit and the best price I've seen yet (for a well oriented system, not a "kit")
http://www.tceperformanceproducts.com/index.html

Last edited by ATL_Red_G35; 05-02-2007 at 05:33 AM.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:00 AM
THE TECH

I think Stoptech and AP are the only ones listed that actually test the kits on the cars to make sure that they are the best matched for the cars. Wilwood and Rotora are just kits that are larger with little to no testing as far as I know.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:11 AM
Todd TCE
Sponsor
TCE Performance Products

With due respect to the link above and a fine product it may be...that is not a Wilwood kit. It's an aftermarket kit using Wilwood calipers and pads. It should not be confused with a factory Wiwood produced kit.

The factory kit is available in both 13 and 14" front size only. The rear kit is also a 13" rotor package only.

I've gotten involved with the 350z/G35 platform in part to help customers better understand what these differences mean. Like another platform, this one is saturated with "Wilwood brake kits". Some of which are nice, some pretty well thought out and a couple down right scary.

With this comes a lot of confusion- like above. It also produces mixed reviews and results for customers to post about and can lead to posts about the product and company which are not fully correct. The proper choice of product and design of the build can make or break a finished kit. Having been a Wilwood dealer now for over 14yrs I'll admit I've seen some factory kits that are better than others. In the case of this vehicle they have produced a finished product that is quite nice.

How do they compare? From someone who is also invovled in racing I'll confess that the calipers used in these factory kits would probably not be my first pick for a 24hr enduro. The lighter weight design of the caliper and the narrower constructed pads are not the most ideal for such use. But....that's not the intended market. Nor the price point. (there are "hard core" racing calipers available that sell for nearly two times the cost of this whole kit for that!)

The market for the Wilwood kit is a clean and easy to install pacakge that boosts overall braking performance, can be tuned easily with proper pad selection and adds a stylish look to the vehicle. It also provides ample performance for modest duty track day service with the fit of the right pad compound. (and it helps to speak with someone who knows them well) A simple pad change can alter the performance levels greatly. Pads for both calipers are available in a variety of compounds. At reasonable prices.

If you're a dedicated track junky who has a true need for 20lb rotors and 12lb calipers there are options in the market for you as well. I suspect from experience that is really a small number of owners.

Comparing is always hard. But comparing without taking into account cost, repalcements, pads, customer service and the like is just poor research. It's really all about picking the right product for your intended use and expectations.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:20 AM
r0mey
350Z-holic

subbed
Old 05-02-2007, 06:27 AM
03BrickyardZ

I'm also curious as to how good these kits are. Wilwood has been around for a while, so I'm confident in the calipers themselves, but the brakes are the most important system on the car, so I wouldn't take any chances on the system.

Subscribing pending more info.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:00 AM
Todd TCE
Sponsor
TCE Performance Products

Originally Posted by 03BrickyardZ
I'm also curious as to how good these kits are.

Subscribing pending more info.
I'm not sure what else you want to know.
Define what "how good" means and be specific on what info is pending.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:05 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they aren't as pretty as the other kits

and I think when people are talking about fade from a BBK they are not being clear enough. Isn't most fade a result of improper pad selection? you would have to be mush more thorough in your explanation before saying one BBK has less fade then another. the more important part would be strength of the mounting kits, stiffness of the caliper and balance front to rear. sealed piston.

then it comes down to pad selection: is there a wide range of replacements available?

Rotor construction... fittings... lots of important things beyond 'performance; of the kit.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:10 AM
cracker0399

anyone have any pros or cons about the project U or Endless bbk setups?
Old 05-02-2007, 09:14 AM
Motormouth
Banned

endless: con - insane pricing!!
Old 05-02-2007, 09:22 AM
THE TECH

Originally Posted by cracker0399
anyone have any pros or cons about the project U or Endless bbk setups?
Great brakes, overpriced.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:30 AM
Motormouth
Banned

aren't they both owned by the same people that own Juction Produce, iirc?
Old 05-02-2007, 10:32 AM
bbs350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea im gonna need a bbk, up front at least. factory brakes, ftl!
Old 05-02-2007, 11:54 AM
C Ray Z

Default My Experience with 350zbrakes.com System

I have over 50 track days with 7 races per year over the past four years. This system is a system designed to use Wilwood 6pot front and 4 pot rear calipers on 13.6" dia rotors. I got through a set of cryo'd rotos per year and three set of racing pads J type for front and C typy for the rear. I have never had a problem with this system or required a rebuild. I get great support from the supplier as I need new parts. Braking is consistent with minimal "nock back'. I highly reccomend this kit for any level of tracking.

The other advantage of the rotor diameter is it allows the use of 17" wheels for race tires. I run 275x17 V710's.

There are lots of good brake systems out there but I have been very happy with mine.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:56 AM
Fluid1

They are VERY similar to all those you posted.

They all are overpriced, overrated, and overhyped. Don't buy a BBK for looks.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:57 AM
Fluid1

Originally Posted by drift_projekt_Z
yea im gonna need a bbk, up front at least. factory brakes, ftl!
Why? (not flaming, just asking)
Old 05-02-2007, 11:59 AM
Fluid1

Originally Posted by Todd TCE
With due respect to the link above and a fine product it may be...that is not a Wilwood kit. It's an aftermarket kit using Wilwood calipers and pads. It should not be confused with a factory Wiwood produced kit.

The factory kit is available in both 13 and 14" front size only. The rear kit is also a 13" rotor package only.

I've gotten involved with the 350z/G35 platform in part to help customers better understand what these differences mean. Like another platform, this one is saturated with "Wilwood brake kits". Some of which are nice, some pretty well thought out and a couple down right scary.

With this comes a lot of confusion- like above. It also produces mixed reviews and results for customers to post about and can lead to posts about the product and company which are not fully correct. The proper choice of product and design of the build can make or break a finished kit. Having been a Wilwood dealer now for over 14yrs I'll admit I've seen some factory kits that are better than others. In the case of this vehicle they have produced a finished product that is quite nice.

How do they compare? From someone who is also invovled in racing I'll confess that the calipers used in these factory kits would probably not be my first pick for a 24hr enduro. The lighter weight design of the caliper and the narrower constructed pads are not the most ideal for such use. But....that's not the intended market. Nor the price point. (there are "hard core" racing calipers available that sell for nearly two times the cost of this whole kit for that!)

The market for the Wilwood kit is a clean and easy to install pacakge that boosts overall braking performance, can be tuned easily with proper pad selection and adds a stylish look to the vehicle. It also provides ample performance for modest duty track day service with the fit of the right pad compound. (and it helps to speak with someone who knows them well) A simple pad change can alter the performance levels greatly. Pads for both calipers are available in a variety of compounds. At reasonable prices.

If you're a dedicated track junky who has a true need for 20lb rotors and 12lb calipers there are options in the market for you as well. I suspect from experience that is really a small number of owners.

Comparing is always hard. But comparing without taking into account cost, repalcements, pads, customer service and the like is just poor research. It's really all about picking the right product for your intended use and expectations.
Excellent post. Let me elaborate on the bold part for you:

This is 99% of the time, just a simple upgrade. New Hawk HP+ pads, Dot-4 fluid with good temp tolerances, SS lines, maybe a resurfacing. I would put this setup up against many of the BBK kits and outbrake them.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:00 PM
03BrickyardZ

Originally Posted by Todd TCE
I'm not sure what else you want to know.
Define what "how good" means and be specific on what info is pending.

I'm curious about balancing... the fastbrakes website has front and rear kits that have the same diameter rotors... Isn't this odd? Would you need to adjust bias if you were running these to keep the rears from locking up before the fronts? Meh? This is really what I want to know... I wan't to know how good they are as an overall system, and mow much work need to go into getting them really right.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:39 PM
dklau33

Originally Posted by 03BrickyardZ
I'm curious about balancing... the fastbrakes website has front and rear kits that have the same diameter rotors... Isn't this odd? Would you need to adjust bias if you were running these to keep the rears from locking up before the fronts? Meh? This is really what I want to know... I wan't to know how good they are as an overall system, and mow much work need to go into getting them really right.
Even though the big name brands may cost more than some of these piece-mealed Wilwood kits, I'd rather spend the extra money on a kit that I know had thorough R&D done on it likeBrembo, Stoptech, AP, genuine factory Wilwood, etc. Brakes are too important of a safety feature to skimp money on.

Quick Reply: How do Wilwood BBKs stack up to OEM Brembos/Stoptechs/AP Racing/Rotoras/..etc?