Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

How do Wilwood BBKs stack up to OEM Brembos/Stoptechs/AP Racing/Rotoras/..etc?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 05:54 PM
Todd TCE
Sponsor
TCE Performance Products

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 03BrickyardZ
I'm curious about balancing... the fastbrakes website has front and rear kits that have the same diameter rotors... Isn't this odd? Would you need to adjust bias if you were running these to keep the rears from locking up before the fronts? Meh? This is really what I want to know... I wan't to know how good they are as an overall system, and mow much work need to go into getting them really right.

A good question. But I'm not going to take aim at another mfg just because of what they do or how they do it. Running the same rotor front and back is fine so long as the other aspects of the package are proper sized. Looking at rotor diameter is but one aspect of the torque equation.

On might argue the benefits of same replacement parts and maybe shared pads if they are the same calipers also. That's a selling point really not a mark of good or bad.

As for brake bias I'll go on a limb and say it's often over stated and used mostly by those who don't even understand it. Yes it is important and yes it should be considered. But a simple pad change alone can alter that perfect balance by over 5%. The optimum balance is based on the vehicles dynamics, the tires of use, the road surface and honestly; what the driver likes. Achieving the optimum stopping distance is nice but again, by itself, doesn't make one design better or worse than another.

Price vs quality is a difficult thing to quantify. You can pay way more for something and that alone does not mean it's better or worse. I'd prefer it come down to picking the right kit for you needs and budget both. Someone mentioned pads as a key factor- so true. And I'm certain there are some who can use oem parts very effectively. Hey, sometimes a BBK is a bandaide for poor driving skills.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:55 PM
Fluid1

Originally Posted by dklau33
Even though the big name brands may cost more than some of these piece-mealed Wilwood kits, I'd rather spend the extra money on a kit that I know had thorough R&D done on it likeBrembo, Stoptech, AP, genuine factory Wilwood, etc. Brakes are too important of a safety feature to skimp money on.
Although you have a vaild point here, you are missing the big picture.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:32 PM
AlvinHuyN
Nismo 370Z #697

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

JDMFairladyZ33 - Hey bro, I know you're wanting the BBK badly but for the price of the Wilwood (or any other brand) front BBK you can get front AND rear with the brembos and probly also upgrade the rotors too. For 2k you can get front and rear OEM Brembos. I think thats a better choice...at least in my opinion. Thats why I waited around for the oem brembos instead of the front only bbk
Old 05-02-2007, 10:22 PM
JDMFairladyZ33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AlvinHuyN
JDMFairladyZ33 - Hey bro, I know you're wanting the BBK badly but for the price of the Wilwood (or any other brand) front BBK you can get front AND rear with the brembos and probly also upgrade the rotors too. For 2k you can get front and rear OEM Brembos. I think thats a better choice...at least in my opinion. Thats why I waited around for the oem brembos instead of the front only bbk

I really like your setup but front + rear Wilwoods (the kit from the link) comes out to be $1150 (6 pot) + $1200 (4 pot) = $2350. Average OEM Brembo systems sold here used are $2000-$2200. If you get the rotor upgrades you are about at the same price maybe even more. That is why I'm trying to get an idea of how these Wilwoods stack up. I don't track my car so Endless and AP Racings are pretty much overkills. According to Todd TCE the ones listed are not true Wilwoods factory kits. Now the decision making process has become harder not easier. There are a lot of good feed backs here and I appreciate those who have chimed in. Anybody else got something to say regarding this subject please share your thoughts.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:32 PM
AlvinHuyN
Nismo 370Z #697

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMFairladyZ33
I really like your setup but front + rear Wilwoods (the kit from the link) comes out to be $1150 (6 pot) + $1200 (4 pot) = $2350. Average OEM Brembo systems sold here used are $2000-$2200. If you get the rotor upgrades you are about at the same price maybe even more. That is why I'm trying to get an idea of how these Wilwoods stack up. I don't track my car so Endless and AP Racings are pretty much overkills. According to Todd TCE the ones listed are not true Wilwoods factory kits. Now the decision making process has become harder not easier. There are a lot of good feed backs here and I appreciate those who have chimed in. Anybody else got something to say regarding this subject please share your thoughts.
I do I do...! lol I don't know about the difference in performance...but what I can tell you is one thing. The owner of the brembos I bought switched to wilwood 6p/4p and when I came over he was finishing up the install and I realized he just took out his e-brake assembly. I don't know why but he said it wouldn't work with the rear brakes. You might want to research it but he got them from an AZ company specialized in Z parts. Price is around what you said but losing e-brake is a big deal.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:38 PM
JDMFairladyZ33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AlvinHuyN

Thanks for the heads up. I have read from some forums that you would loose the use of the E-brakes from the Wilwoods. What I am not sure is if it's on older models or some factory kits. It doesn't appear that the lastblueprint in this thread lost his:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....hlight=wilwood

Texas is pretty much flat and I would have a problem with loosing the e-brakes. I would hate to imagine doing so in Cali
Old 05-02-2007, 11:24 PM
dklau33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fluid1
Although you have a vaild point here, you are missing the big picture.
Okay, I understand the point you're trying to make is that depending on the OP's goals and intended use, even a BBK may not even be necessary and just wasted money. I guess regardless if one is hellbent on spending big bucks or looking for a low cost solution, due dilegence and research is always a good idea.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:26 PM
dklau33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMFairladyZ33
Thanks for the heads up. I have read from some forums that you would loose the use of the E-brakes from the Wilwoods. What I am not sure is if it's on older models or some factory kits. It doesn't appear that the lastblueprint in this thread lost his:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....hlight=wilwood

Texas is pretty much flat and I would have a problem with loosing the e-brakes. I would hate to imagine doing so in Cali
IIRC Todd@TCE said that the official factory Wilwood rear kit retains the use of the factory e-brake. Just thought that would help.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:28 PM
Endless Shock

I have the AZC front kit... I do not track my car but I do go out on the occasional "Sunday Drive" in the hills... I had non-b's and now I have the front 6 Pot kit... Overall, Im very satisfied with my investment... I would have gone with Stoptech but since I dont track my car I chose the AZC kit... Ill be more than happy to post pics so you can see what they look like... Oh yeah I had some parts adonized blue to match the car ..
Old 06-05-2007, 05:48 PM
goodkd

Yea, please post some pics.

I too am interested in these "kits":
http://fastbrakes.com/shop/product_i...roducts_id=714
Old 06-05-2007, 08:29 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by goodkd
Yea, please post some pics.

I too am interested in these "kits":
http://fastbrakes.com/shop/product_i...roducts_id=714
You may want to check this article on Fastbrakes BBK for the Z. Pics and track review: http://nissanperformancemag.com/february06/350z/ Bottom half of the article.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:32 PM
Endless Shock

Old 06-05-2007, 10:33 PM
Endless Shock

Old 06-05-2007, 10:38 PM
michaeljr6

wilwoods are nice brakes....my buddy autocrosses with them and he say they perform pretty well under hard uses.

rotora = cracking rotors......so boo!
Old 06-06-2007, 01:54 AM
Z_Monzter

Hmm, I might jump into one of these soon.

Great info here!!!
Old 06-06-2007, 05:23 AM
AroundMyHorn

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fluid1
They are VERY similar to all those you posted.

They all are overpriced, overrated, and overhyped. Don't buy a BBK for looks.

lol....why not? We buy rims for looks.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:53 AM
goodkd

Originally Posted by Endless Shock

Beautiful. What size rotor is that?
Old 06-06-2007, 12:09 PM
C Ray Z

Default Check this web site

www.350zbrakes.com

I have had these for 4 years. >50 track days
Old 06-06-2007, 01:46 PM
goodkd

Originally Posted by C Ray Z
www.350zbrakes.com

I have had these for 4 years. >50 track days
Thanks for link.

These look sweet too. Very similar to the FastBrake kit. This set comes with a very well known SS line and a few other perks. But, it is $1-1.5K more expensive than FastBrakes.....
Old 06-08-2007, 08:26 AM
goodkd

bump