Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Rice or Nice?? Red calipers

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 09:50 AM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by the RIOT act
i have redline z and i painted mine red with the brackets black. i have a lot of black mods and cf so it looks nice to me, not rice. oxidation looks ridiculous and i would rather leather seats so i didn't buy a track but some day i'll upgrade to brembo or something. having brembos on a stock z is a little excessive if you ask me but everything aint for everybody so i say do what you think looks better!

No it's not. Some people think its an overkill, i think those people are just heavy footed.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:01 AM
jtabraham

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350
No it's not. Some people think its an overkill, i think those people are just heavy footed.

Unless you track your Z, having the OEM Brembos or any BBK is overkill for normal driving. The stock brakes perform great, and track usage is really the only time you would see a cost-justifiable benefit of anything more.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/Testing_Brakes.htm
Old 06-06-2007, 12:41 PM
halfass872

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jtabraham
Unless you track your Z, having the OEM Brembos or any BBK is overkill for normal driving. The stock brakes perform great, and track usage is really the only time you would see a cost-justifiable benefit of anything more.

+1
5 feet diff from standard brakes, to OEM brembos isn't worth in my opinion. I know i'm not taking brake fade into consideration. But for a daily driver, i'm sure there would be next to no difference between the two.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:47 PM
AlvinHuyN
Nismo 370Z #697

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have redline z and i painted mine red with the brackets black. i have a lot of black mods and cf so it looks nice to me, not rice. oxidation looks ridiculous and i would rather leather seats so i didn't buy a track but some day i'll upgrade to brembo or something. having brembos on a stock z is a little excessive if you ask me but everything aint for everybody so i say do what you think looks better!
The way you contradicts yourself in the same paragraph is hilarious

Having brembos is excessive but someday you'll upgrade to it...right....

Nevermind...I found your post...this explains it ALL!

turismo is right. the k20a2 is the type-s and it's a much better bottom end than any dodge. i had an rsx-s and i had tons of problems with it though. that is why i got a z 3 weeks ago. i had tons done to my rsx and it put down about 320hp. you can blow that # away if you got $ though. it's not a bad purchase for the money but i think i bought the wrong one. if i had a scanner i would post some pics but i talk at work so there's a lot of restrictions. if there's any other way to post pics, somebody let me know and i'll share.

Last edited by AlvinHuyN; 06-06-2007 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:01 PM
drivenCSZ

i dont care what other people think of my car and thus was the first to jump into this thread saying i did it, even though everyone else was bashing them.

I completely understand what everyone's saying and ill be the first person to call rice on somebody's mods(even though I have none myself, hypocritical? maybe but opinions are opinions).

regardless, i've had my car for over 4 years and knew damn well i would never be, nor ever will, be getting any expensive mods, which is fine for me. Im certainly not trying to give off the impression i have a BBK thats just silly. I like how they look on my stock CS, they tend to set off the tails a bit since they're such a huge mass of red on the car. So i like them.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:45 PM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i dont know if you even driven the stock oem brembos, they are not an overkill. I don't think nissan would put it on a car stock just so the person can "track" it. Visually, they are appealing, make the car worth more money, stops good. Thats good enough for me.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:31 PM
jtabraham

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350
i dont know if you even driven the stock oem brembos, they are not an overkill. [B]I don't think nissan would put it on a car stock just so the person can "track" it.[/B] Visually, they are appealing, make the car worth more money, stops good. Thats good enough for me.

Funny, because Nissan decided to put Brembos on a TRACK edition Z (before the Grand Touring was introduced).

If you look at the link I posted, you can see that for daily driving, the OEM brakes are sufficient, and the OEM brembos and even a Stoptech BBK offer only marginally more performance. HOWEVER, once you take your car to a track or an autocross, the Brembos and a BBK will clearly shine over the OEMs.

Last edited by jtabraham; 06-06-2007 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:01 PM
drivenCSZ

Funny, because Nissan decided to put Brembos on a TRACK edition Z (before the Grand Touring was introduced).

If you look at the link I posted, you can see that for daily driving, the OEM brakes are sufficient, and the OEM brembos and even a Stoptech BBK offer only marginally more performance. HOWEVER, once you take your car to a track or an autocross, the Brembos and a BBK will clearly shine over the OEMs.
i certainly wouldnt mind some brembos for the street...theyre great for the track but i dont think theyre overkill on the street. Ive hit some fade on my OEM's on the street more than once.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:08 PM
jtabraham

Originally Posted by drivenCSZ
i certainly wouldnt mind some brembos for the street...theyre great for the track but i dont think theyre overkill on the street. Ive hit some fade on my OEM's on the street more than once.
Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind a set of brembos either, but for my purpose they would be unnecessary since I don't track my car. And on that note, I guess one could make the argument that extra bit of stopping power could be the 5 foot difference that separates an accident from a near miss on the street...if that's the case, then the extra cost would be completely justifiable.

With OEM's though, the only time I've ever hit any fade was during a pad bed-in procedure (which is expected) Aside from that, they've served me well.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:00 PM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys actually use your brakes?

Pu$$ies!!!!
Old 06-07-2007, 02:55 AM
halfass872

Originally Posted by Chad68
You guys actually use your brakes?

Pu$$ies!!!!

LOL. Yeah, only cause we keep getting passed by the RSXs.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:56 AM
the RIOT act

Originally Posted by AlvinHuyN
The way you contradicts yourself in the same paragraph is hilarious

Having brembos is excessive but someday you'll upgrade to it...right....

Nevermind...I found your post...this explains it ALL!

what i was trying to say is that is you're pushing enough hp then 3k calipers would be worth it but for a daily driver to haves brembos is more like showing off to me. but like i said "everything aint for everybody". and that's right, i did have a rsx and i'm pretty proud of it. it hung right there with a few of my friends z's so that aint nothing to be embarrased about. OH! and sorry we all can't be "undergrads" and afford a 35k car right off the bat. i must be underprivledged!

Last edited by the RIOT act; 06-07-2007 at 04:13 AM.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:27 AM
Z_Monzter

Originally Posted by OneI350
Is it considered rice to paint your stock calipers red then adding a nissan or 350z decal on them? I have seen some folks on the forum sport this mod. Is it considered rice?

I have painted stock calipers. They are currently painted BLUE.

Do I care about other people opinions NO. I did it because I like it. I am the one paying for the car and the one driving the car.

I am not trying to pretend anything. If you like it go for it and F@@k what others think.

My .02 cents
Attached Thumbnails Rice or Nice?? Red calipers-my-kaminari-z.jpg   Rice or Nice?? Red calipers-z_monztervolksgts0211.jpg   Rice or Nice?? Red calipers-z_monztervolksgts0212.jpg   Rice or Nice?? Red calipers-z_monztervolksgts0214.jpg   Rice or Nice?? Red calipers-z_monztervolksgts0217.jpg  

Last edited by Z_Monzter; 06-07-2007 at 05:01 AM.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:11 AM
z-u-later

I painted my stock '06 calipers red and it looks nice, not rice. It was a $10 mod and damn well worth it. The '06 brake system is larger than previous years so the calipers are larger. You don't need a BBK for daily driving or for the track. Just need to upgrade your brake pads & install stainless steel brake lines and you're good to go. If you upgrade to a BBK and don't even track your Z, you're just all show and no go.

Here are some pics of red calipers replica BBK :

WITH MY GUNMETAL TRACK RIMS ON AN AUTOCROSS COURSE

WITH MY GUNMETAL TRACK RIMS GETTING READY FOR AUTOCROSS

WITH MY GUNMETAL '06 STOCK RIMS TOWING MY TWO SETS OF RACE TIRES

Last edited by z-u-later; 06-07-2007 at 05:19 AM.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:30 AM
the RIOT act

nice ride monster! very clean if you know what i mean.?
Old 06-07-2007, 05:34 AM
SirSpeedyZ

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

rice, why paint small brakes? get a bbk and then do it
Old 06-07-2007, 05:39 AM
z-u-later

Originally Posted by SirSpeedyZ
rice, why paint small brakes? get a bbk and then do it
Have you personally seen the '06 brakes? You have an '03, and they're smaller. Do you track your Z? Oh, I forgot, you're a freakin' newb, just got your Z last month. Don't even want to waste bandwidth here. Just realized you've got more "show" mods than "go" mods.

Last edited by z-u-later; 06-07-2007 at 07:26 AM.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:51 AM
AroundMyHorn

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

you guys talking about "all show and no go" are hilarious. Wtf did you spend 3 k on rims for then? lol.....the standard rims on z's are more than suitable for everyday driving. The fact is you have 2 people who buys BBK's.....one being the hardcore track junky, the other would be the looks monger (which i belong to). The great thing is though one day I WILL track my car and I may end up liking it! If thats the case I'll be set because I have kickass BBK. Now dont get me wrong, Im not saying the stock brakes are horrible or anything like that. I just think they look bad when painted a flashy color (saw a 96 volvo with calipers and the rotor hub painted neon green).
Old 06-07-2007, 05:58 AM
jtabraham

Originally Posted by AroundMyHorn
you guys talking about "all show and no go" are hilarious.

Don't you mean "all show and no stop"
Old 06-07-2007, 07:23 AM
halfass872

...... and that's right, i did have a rsx and i'm pretty proud of it. it hung right there with a few of my friends z's so that aint nothing to be embarrased about....

They must have been either a)Crappy drivers, or b)Not trying. Isn't there like an 80-100 hp, and rediculous amount of tourque diff between the two??

Quick Reply: Rice or Nice?? Red calipers