Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

adjustable coilover question!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 11:43 AM
marques1

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default adjustable coilover question!

I'm in need of some lowering springs of course to lower my car. The question is how much do some affordable adjustable coilovers cost if there are any affordable one's. I was just thinking about getting normal coilovers but my problem is that the passanger side of my car sits about a 1/2 inch higher than the drivers side when measuring the wheel to fender gap in the rear. I thought that the adjustable coilovers would be good for me since i can just adjust each coilover independentley to get it to sit exactly like i would like, does this sound right.

How low can you go with the z's suspension before having to spend a **** load of money to get the alignment in spec for both the front and rear. One more question is can i get some prices on normal coilovers and also adjustable coilovers that you guys are using.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:00 PM
bbs350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well any drop over i believe .6" will mess w/ your camber. but it all depends what your looking for in a suspnsion. if your into tracking your car definately look into a quality suspension such as tein/tanabe/hotchkis/ etc. not to mention camber kits, sway bars, etc. if your just a cruiser or want it for looks a set of springs and an allignment will do.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:09 PM
marques1

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

i thought you could at least go down a 1inch is this wrong.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:04 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As soon as you alter the ride height of the car, you need an alignment....period. It is far more critical for the rear than it is for the front, but it applies to both.

If you are spending money on coilovers, the small additional price you pay for at least a means of adjusting rear camber/toe (ala the SPC kit) is a drop in the bucket. It's alot cheaper to buy the right parts the first time and set the suspension up the way it should be vs. buying new tires ever 6 months

There is no magic answer to "how low can I go before I need ....." - the only real answer is, It Depends. Cars are like people - no two are the same. They come from the factory with a range of alignments - they are not all aligned the same, they are simply aligned to a give set of spec ranges (and sometimes they are not even set to those specs either). If your car has a very conservative alignment from the factory, you might be able to lower the car up to an inch or so before you need to buy other parts. If your car was set from the factory with an aggressive alignment, then you might not even be able to drop it at all before things are out of specs. Again, it depends.

As for prices, there are alot of vendor sponsors on this site

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 06-17-2007 at 06:07 AM.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:45 AM
SilverJDMCoupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Tanabe Sustec PRO S-0C's for example, slightly under $1000 including shipping. I have heard and will find out today that up to a 1 inch drop can be applied without needing a camber kit (in most situations), but you will need an alignment!
Old 07-09-2007, 01:23 PM
03redlineZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverJDMCoupe
I have the Tanabe Sustec PRO S-0C's for example, slightly under $1000 including shipping. I have heard and will find out today that up to a 1 inch drop can be applied without needing a camber kit (in most situations), but you will need an alignment!

How low can you go on the Tanabe's? I want a nice drop and cant find max lowered heights on the Tanabe's/// I have the GF210 rigth not and want a similar drop maybe a little more in the rear