Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

spring install question, cutting bump stops

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 01:12 PM
chishifu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spring install question, cutting bump stops

Hi everyone,

I'm currently in the middle of a tanabe gf210 install and i'm baffled about the bump stop issue. First off, if i'm just installing springs, I would have to go an extra step and remove the shock to get at the rear bump stops as they are in the shock housing? And for the fronts, i'll see them when i remove the front coilover assembly?

Secondly, i'm wondering if I don't cut them, since I autox and track the car occasionally, will I really need the inch or so of increased bump travel that cutting the bump stops will give me? I know with decreased travel, I will bottom the shocks occasionally, but will I do that enough to warrant me cutting them? Btw, i'm rather new to tracking, but have autox'd for a while.

thanks for any replies you guys. I've searched a little and haven't found sufficient information and am kind of in a pinch. Sorry for the noob question.

ChiShiFu

*edit: just remembered reading G35sedan's post saying that the front bump stops cannot be cut because there isn't enough soft foam. So then would cutting the bump stops be impossible?
Old 06-17-2007, 06:00 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The front uses really firm rubber that is build into the dust shield and you can't cut anything. Here's a picture of the front dust shield and the bumpstop itself on the left. On the right is a aftermarket Koni progressive soft bumpstop that I currently run in the front

All you can do if you want to gain additional piston stroke in the front is to pull the dust shield/bump stops off and install aftermarket bump stops like the Koni stops I use. It's 1 1/2" tall vs the oem bump stop which is 2 5/16" tall.

In the rear I know 2004.5+ car's with the revised suspension have redesigned dust shield/bump stops. They do have a soft foam insert. What I never checked when I once owned unrevised 03 shocks was if their original dustshield/bump stop assembly had a soft foam insert or not.