Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

What suspension do you have and why?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 04:26 AM
RedVisineX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What suspension do you have and why?

**If this question has been asked, sorry for the dup**

Just curios as to what suspension most people have and why. What do you like about it? How much did it cost you? Did you go full suspension or just changed the shock and kept the OEM Spring? Why? Which combo worked best for you? After the suspension change, did you have to do anything else like re align your tires? Or change tires or anything like that.

I am leaning towards the D-Specs Or the Tien from everything I have been reading. But I am easily swayed (because I know nothing ). Recently I changed all my tires (don't flame--Avon M550 A/S--just wanted to try them, on a budget for now), and something about the tires or the suspension, but the Z now feels "comfortable", kinda like my Altima. I had the OEM Tires, and the rear was almost bald. All the bumps and little irregularities of the street, I don't feel anymore. So I guess I am looking for a suspension where I can "feel" the road, and be more responsive. A tighter or stiffer suspension I hear people say.

I have the 2005 350Z Touring.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:41 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here is the sticky at the top of the page. has a bunch of useful information

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension/112798-suspension-faq-and-reviews-tech-info-tuning-and-reviews.html
Old 07-14-2007, 08:09 AM
RedVisineX

Originally Posted by Z04
here is the sticky at the top of the page. has a bunch of useful information

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112798
Thanks Z04. I have read it, and now my head hurts. Too many options. Now I am looking at the Cuscos. The complete suspension set up....hmmm. One thing I didn't get is why one would get a camber arm thing after a suspension mod. And does that need to get replaced after all and any suspension mod?

Last edited by RedVisineX; 07-14-2007 at 08:16 AM.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:51 AM
Endless Shock

Cusco's are great... I have the Zero 2's and rear sway bar... I have mine set to its lowest setting and 3/3 for my daily driving... When I have a passenger (specially female) I go back to 1/1... If you do get Cusco's stay away from the pillowball version... They will make noise after time...
Old 07-14-2007, 09:52 AM
fast kiwi

Tvs-1 cheap best all round thing i could find with out breaking the bank and easy enough to do the whole thing at home.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:35 PM
palepony

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

thank you redvisine - this is a much better question than the often asked "what is best", since that question makes no sense. What is best is what works for you. The best question you asked is "why?"

what do I have - truechoice phase IV coilovers

why
- wanted independent rebound and compression damping control
- wanted ability to swap out linear spring rates easily
- didn't want to lower the vehicle much at all, but wanted the higher linear spring rates
- trusted the research of the developer and the product

What people often respond on this forum as "best" is what they have. My setup is not for everyone, nor should it be for you.

You mentioned you are on a budget. You also mention you bought avon all-season tires.

so, what are your goals?

If it is "handling" (for an all encompassing term), tires will make the most difference. I have never tried Avon all-seasons, but my guess is these
would not be the best performing tires on the market. I personally would have started with better tires/different tire configuration before spending money on suspension modifications. Furthermore, if you want advise on handling characteristics, we need to know more about what you feel your vehicle is doing now and how you want to change it.

For example, member fast kiwi recommends hotchkis. You want "stiffer", albeit a nonspecific term, BUT Hotchkis springs are actually softer in the rear than your OEM 2005 springs. An example of how we need to know specifics.

If it is "slamming it to the weeds, yo". I can't help you. But Stance coilovers seem to be popular on this forum for those needs.

If it is a budget suspension. We really need to know your budget.

But most importantly we need to know your goals for the suspension's characteristics and abilities.

pp

edit - buy zeals cuz Tubbs says they're pimpin

Last edited by palepony; 07-15-2007 at 12:06 AM.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:38 PM
Tubbs

I have Zeals cuz they're pimpin.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:20 AM
Mazinger Z

TVS1 + Tokico D-Specs because it was cost efficient and exactly what I was looking for on my daily driver. Good setup if you don't plan on tracking your car everyday. The ride height isn't too low, you can adjust dampening to your liking and the TVS1 comes with adjustable sways. All for less than $800. You can't beat that with a baseball bat.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:48 AM
JDMFairladyZ33

Stock becuase my wheels wouldn't clear my offset . Not that it matters now since the Z and wheels are gone
Old 07-15-2007, 01:08 AM
chriskabobbers

Originally Posted by bugsbbunny
TVS1 + Tokico D-Specs because it was cost efficient and exactly what I was looking for on my daily driver. Good setup if you don't plan on tracking your car everyday. The ride height isn't too low, you can adjust dampening to your liking and the TVS1 comes with adjustable sways. All for less than $800. You can't beat that with a baseball bat.
+1
Old 07-15-2007, 01:10 AM
JDMFairladyZ33

So do they have couches and nicer mirrors in the ladies' forum?
Old 07-15-2007, 06:03 AM
RedVisineX

Originally Posted by palepony
thank you redvisine - this is a much better question than the often asked "what is best", since that question makes no sense. What is best is what works for you. The best question you asked is "why?"

what do I have - truechoice phase IV coilovers

why
- wanted independent rebound and compression damping control
- wanted ability to swap out linear spring rates easily
- didn't want to lower the vehicle much at all, but wanted the higher linear spring rates
- trusted the research of the developer and the product

What people often respond on this forum as "best" is what they have. My setup is not for everyone, nor should it be for you.

You mentioned you are on a budget. You also mention you bought avon all-season tires.

so, what are your goals?

If it is "handling" (for an all encompassing term), tires will make the most difference. I have never tried Avon all-seasons, but my guess is these
would not be the best performing tires on the market. I personally would have started with better tires/different tire configuration before spending money on suspension modifications. Furthermore, if you want advise on handling characteristics, we need to know more about what you feel your vehicle is doing now and how you want to change it.

For example, member fast kiwi recommends hotchkis. You want "stiffer", albeit a nonspecific term, BUT Hotchkis springs are actually softer in the rear than your OEM 2005 springs. An example of how we need to know specifics.

If it is "slamming it to the weeds, yo". I can't help you. But Stance coilovers seem to be popular on this forum for those needs.

If it is a budget suspension. We really need to know your budget.

But most importantly we need to know your goals for the suspension's characteristics and abilities.

pp

edit - buy zeals cuz Tubbs says they're pimpin
Thank you for your response palepony.

Goal:
To track the Z one day, and do some spirited driving without having to worry about losing traction like sliding or spinning out.
To feel how the road and what it is doing.
To be able to have a quick and responsive handling. I guess responsive would be key here, not sluggish.
To lower the car somewhat, but not annoyingly so where I can't even go to the grocery store because the bottom is scraping on speed bumps.
To not have a squeeky, or loud suspension. Something I read people often say.
To be able to tune the suspension without it being a major ordeal like taking it to the shop, or calibrating something else like the camber rear and front (unless it is truly necessary). I have heard people change their suspension only to have to buy another part like the camber arms to bring it to OEM spec. But I wouldn't mind doing that as long as I know ahead of time.
To have a reliable suspension that doesn't have to get serviced every other month or something like that. Guess I want the Plug&Play suspension, if that makes any sense, but tweakable.
To Auto-X, too.

Palepony, you are right about the tires. Reason I bought them was that they received fairly good reviews on TireRack. Also, I was desperate and I want to compare the difference between A/S tires and Summer Performance tires. Since the Avons were cheap for an A/S, I figured I start there. But I do definitely agree on the tire part as being the most important aspect of a suspension. I should know, I used to track my motorcycle. With that being said, how the car feels now is a lot different than what it felt before. First of, I had the OEM tires. Pontezas, I believe. 245/45ZR18 and 225/45ZR18. The rear tire was bald, almost completely. The fronts had a fair amount of tread but since I was switching from Summer Performance to A/S, it was recommended I do all four tires. The immediate difference I saw was the sidewall of the Avon's were taller than the Pontezas, which actually add to the comfort of the ride, I believe. But it also gives the car a sort of a bouncy feel to it, while it made not actually do that, it just feels like it does. Now, I could be confusing a solid good suspension (OEM style) on tires on its last legs vs a solid good suspension on new tires, and not know the difference. I guess the best thing to have done is to get the same tires but new and then compare. Anyhow, the tires did and do make a difference, probably definitely a bigger difference from Performance Summer to A/S, I just don't know that difference because I don't have anything to compare it to. Next time I do get tires, it will be Summer Performance tires.

I want performance vs looks. I am also looking for a full suspension redo (Gran Toursimo style ), not just shocks or springs, and I do know it will take some money. Anyhow, I still do need to learn more about suspension with linear and progressive performance, other stuff like that. As far as what I want to spend on suspension, being it very important, I'd be willing to pay a decent amount for confidence. Money is an object but I can save for it....

It would also be nice to drive a car with a suspension that has been upgraded. Anyone in the Fairfax, VA, area? Zip code 22152.

Red

Last edited by RedVisineX; 07-15-2007 at 07:55 AM.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:56 AM
NismoChic

see below
Old 07-16-2007, 07:57 AM
NismoChic

Originally Posted by chriskabobbers
+1
+2 agreed. And the lil tool to adjust to what ever driving conditions you will deal with (I autocross occassionally but the car is a daily driver)
Old 07-16-2007, 10:33 AM
Triple8Sol
Banned

Originally I ran stock G unrevised shocks with Z unrevised springs. It was indiscernible from the stock ride, but not nearly enough drop.

Then I ran Tokico DSP9 with Hotchkis springs. That was an awesome combo. Car was slammed, linear rates felt great, and the shocks provided good adjustability options. Only issue was that the adjustment extensions were cheesy, so I didn't install them, and adjusting the rears required dropping the suspension.

No I'm running Tein Flex coilovers w/EDFC. Love it. On-the-fly adjustability from the cockpit. Stiffer than my past setups even at the softest setting, but worth the tradeoff.

Oh, btw I'm also running: Hotchkis F/R sways, GT-Spec F/R lower tie bars, GT-Spec rear lateral arm brace, and GT-Spec 4pt ladder bar.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:17 PM
RedVisineX

Triple8Sol, are the Tien brand the only ones that offer the EDFC? I did like that feature on the Tiens.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:55 PM
Triple8Sol
Banned

The EDFC is made by Tein, so it only works w/Tein coilovers. Most models like the Flex, CS, SS, Mono Flex etc...Tanabe also makes a similar controller that works with their new Sustec coilovers. Those are the only 2 that I know of.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:04 PM
Kolia

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Koni Sport 'cuz they're yellow and yellow is faster... Lol

Your budget is what will decide. Cheap lowering spring are pretty much for looks only since they aren't stiffer than OEM. Lowering doesn't add many lateral g's. Better (ie agressive) alignement will do that.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:17 PM
black06z

I went with Tein S.tech springs and Tokico D-spec since G35sedan recommended the set-up.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:42 PM
Abishop