Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Front only bbk?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 03:39 PM
sabrefanpc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front only bbk?

Reading up, I have found that most breaking is done by the front brakes. The only reasons I have seen to upgrade the rears is to increase heat capacity for track usage as most rear kits do not intrinsically offer more braking power (though the pads they come with certainly may!). If I were to do a front-only BBK and something along the lines of a stoptech stage 2 upgrade for the rears with agressive but still streetable pads (EBC Red, Hawk, etc), would brake bias be thrown too far out of whack? Is this a bad idea?

Thanks for any input!
Old 07-16-2007, 03:54 PM
DMK

Depends on which manufacturer you choose. I know that Brembo and Stoptech front BBK is specifically made to work with stock rears, so the bias will not be too far off.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:07 PM
Kolia

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lucky you, your car is equiped with electronic brake force distribution to take care of the brake bias...

Any BBK designed for the 350Z will do the trick.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:09 PM
sabrefanpc

Originally Posted by Kolia
Lucky you, your car is equiped with electronic brake force distribution to take care of the brake bias...

Any BBK designed for the 350Z will do the trick.
Say what now? Never even heard of that, very cool. Time to go digging in my service manual hehe...

Thanks for the replies!
Old 07-16-2007, 08:06 PM
StopTech
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EBD will not automatically fix a BBK with less than ideal balance although it may mask some of the issues. When driven more aggressively, there will still be increased brake distances, less than ideal pedal feel and possible ABS issues if the actual torque output of the calipers is significantly different than what the computer is expecting. We have a great article on our website that goes over ABS fundamentals in a panic type situations and the ramifications that a less than ideal setup brings here:

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakekits.shtml

The initial question of a BBK with perfromance pads, rotors and lines would be a great setup and not cause any issues related to balance. The vast majority of our customers have a front only kit with a "stage 2" type rear setup with great results.