Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

How are your stock Brembos holding up?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 10:04 PM
boostd350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How are your stock Brembos holding up?

Hey all. I'm trying to decide between which Z model to go with and I'm curious how the Tracks Brembos are holding up? I have heard that there may have been some issues with the standard Brembos, and if so, it would affect my purchase.

I might save some money and get a Performance or Track and pick up a set of StopTech if there are any issues with the Brembos.

I appreciate any help, thanks.
Old 05-09-2003, 04:55 AM
Quick

I took my track model out to mid-ohio in april. 2 days of high speed (130 on the back straight) turns. Granted it isn't an extremely high braking course, but it isn't easy on them either.

Setup:
Carbotech P+ front pads
Carbotech bobcat rear pads
everything else stock

well, after 4 30min sessions the brake fluid was done. I would go about 5-6 laps into a new session and would loose brake pressure, it would still slow me down, but just not with alot of urgency. Solution: Bled brake fluid in hotel parking lot and replaced with Ate Type 200 (awesome stuff for cheap!). The next day was TOTALLY different. It was braking perfectly for what i expected. I did get a little pad fade but i think that was because of the bobcat compound just can't deal with the things i was putting it through. I will be replacing the bobcat's with p+ for my trip to road atlanta in June.

Now, being that i am usually all about overkill here is what i say...
If you are plannning on making this a track only car, don't get them. Get a base model and put a set of custom brakes on it. If you are like me and drive it everyday and just track it ~ 6 times per year then you should be okay with the brembo's, upgraded pads, lines and fluid....
Old 05-09-2003, 06:20 AM
Welsh 350Z N

I haven't had any track time with my Track yet but know some guys who have. My road experience has been excellent though - the Brembo's are very good but intend to upgrade pads and fluids before taking her out on the track. I have never had such confidence in stopping power on a car before. I've only heard good things about them so if you are not intending to buy aftermarket rims or breaks the extra $'s for the track are worth it IMO.
Old 05-09-2003, 06:33 AM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nissan really made a poor decision by putting DOT3 fluid in for the Brembos from the factory. Like Quick, my fluid started to boil after several laps at Mid-Ohio. However, that's a simple fix as ATE Super Blue is a good DOT4 fluid that will last a long time on the street and track. As for the OEM Ferodo pads, I have two track weekends (VIR and Summit Point), as well as 9000+ miles, and still about 15% of the pad remaining. At Mid-Ohio, I used a Cobalt Friction pad.
Old 05-09-2003, 06:42 AM
Audito350Z

I have done close to 600 miles at the track in my Track model 350Z.

Front pads at the track have been Carbotech Panther Plus. Rear pads at the track and on the street are Carbotech Panther.

Pads held up nicely at the 2.9 mile Texas World Speedway. I did experience fluid issues, but nothing that was slowing me down... a few small taps on the brake pedal before a hard braking zone usually fixed the problem.

I have flushed the fluid and replaced with Valvoline SynPower fluid. I also now run Carbotech Bobcats in the front for the street. I have a brand new set of Carbotech XP for the next track event.

I am very satisfied with the Brembos. My previous car was an Audi A4. I had the 332x32 Stoptechs on that car and did at least 8 track events a year. I can say that the Brembos stop the Z just as well at the Stoptechs stopped the A4.

My suggestion is to buy a Track model, get Carbotech pads and call it DONE!

PeteH
Old 05-09-2003, 07:23 AM
350zroadster

I heard someone from this board that the Brembos aren't really Brembos, that they are manufacutred else where and stamped with the brandname

Also the performance between stock and Brembo brakes aren't that different. Is this the reason?
Old 05-09-2003, 08:00 AM
Quick

I don't know who told you that, but they are definitely brembo calipers. I have seen many a brembo, and these are exactly the same. Granted they have many configurations, but the base is always the same.

And from the research that i have seen, the performance between the stock brakes and the brembo's is substantial. But, the performance between the stoptech's and brembo's is not all that different.
Old 05-09-2003, 10:43 AM
Welsh 350Z N

I heard someone from this board that the Brembos aren't really Brembos, that they are manufacutred else where and stamped with the brandname
Nonsense !
Old 05-09-2003, 11:01 AM
Jewelz350

Don't quote me on this but I believe Dwnshift mentioned that Sumitomo was the manufacturer for Brembo. Many manufactures use other companies to manufacture their parts. It's still a Brembo. Either way, I've also had mine at the track and the brakes are excellent.
Old 05-10-2003, 08:58 AM
boostd350Z

Thanks a lot for the help guys. When the time comes to make a purchase I will take this all into consideration.

With the Z, i intend to do a handful of track events a year. If I go witht he Track I definitley plan to use race pads and new fluid (for track events), so it should be alright.

I was reading a site that did a comparo between the OEM Brembo's vs StopTech's 332 and 355 kits and the only significant improvment was temperature. I think better brake fluid will help that out considerably, and with race pads the Brembo's should be up to the task.

Now the only thing holding me back from deciding on track vs touring is the heated/leather seats, which I have grown very used to in my A4.

Thanks again.
Old 05-10-2003, 01:22 PM
Audito350Z

How about that... another Audi convert! I had a 1997 A4 1.8T and a 2001 A4 1.8T. Loved that car... but the Z is so much more fun to drive!!!

I could not fit in the Touring model... the heated power seats sit about an inch taller than the regular seats. That was an issue for me as I need helmet room for the track events.

PeteH
Old 05-10-2003, 01:35 PM
boostd350Z

Hehe..yup...quite a few Audi guys that I know have made, or are considering a move to the Z.

I had a 98.5 1.8Tq and I still have an 01 1.8Tq. Strange how we both had/have 2 A4's of almost the same years.

How tall are you? I'm only about 5'10 so I don't think that I will have any issues even with the helmet.
Old 05-10-2003, 01:56 PM
Audito350Z

I'm 6'3" and weigh 250.... I take up a LOT of room in the car!

PeteH