Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

spring install advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 03:21 PM
vtb11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spring install advice

im a bit of a noob at installs, but im tryin to learn and save some on labor costs..
so, im ordering s.techs for my g35c and hoping to install myself...

can anyone point me to a DIY or just give me a quick rundown of what i need to do and have to do this?

or should i just have a shop do it?

tyia!
Old 08-07-2007, 04:49 PM
THE TECH

Grab yourself a copy of the FSM and check it out. Then you can decide if it is something that you want to tackle. It's not a hard install, but there are some specific tools that you will need.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:20 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vtb11
im a bit of a noob at installs, but im tryin to learn and save some on labor costs..
so, im ordering s.techs for my g35c and hoping to install myself...

can anyone point me to a DIY or just give me a quick rundown of what i need to do and have to do this?

or should i just have a shop do it?

tyia!
Here's a DIY for the front, I'll see if I can find the time to do one for the rear.

Remove nut on sway bar end link on suspension control arm.

Use floor jack to compress suspension upwards to relieve pressure on the sway bar end link bolt, you goal it to push the bolt out of the suspension arm.

Remove lower bolt on shock/spring assembly, you may or may not need to use the floor jack to adjust pressure on the suspension in order to free the bolt.

Unbolt the brake line from the shock, push off the speed sensor lines off the shock.

Look up at the bottom of the upper A arm that's closest to you. See the cotter pin in it. Remove that pin, your not going to be able to reuse it, replace it with a 3/32" by 1" pin on reasembly.

With the cotter pin out loosen the nut above it and turn it about 3 turn's. Since the A arm usually sticks in place on that bolt, you'll need to tap or whack the A arm with a rubber mallet to pop the bolt free. Once you get it free now take the nut off all the way. BUT be carefull once you do, the entire suspension will flop free and to the side, don't get hurt.

Now pop the hood of the car if you haven't already done so. Break free the 3 nuts that secure the top shock mount, removing only 2 nuts. On the 350Z IIRC you might have to remove the strut tower bar, though I could be wrong. Reach into the wheel well with one hand and grab the shock/spring assembly and push upwards while with the other free hand you undo the last upper shock mount bolt.

Guide the shock/spring assembly out of the car. Be very carefull at the fender lip, easy to scratch.

With the shock/spring assembly off the car it's time to deal with starting the process of getting the oem springs off of the shocks. We will address the use of spring compressor's in a bit, first things first

When you get to the point of needing to break free the bolt the secures the shock to the shock mount here's how I figured out to break it free even if it's really on their hard.

Use the wrench in the middle of the picture, got mine at Sears 17mm and 19mm.

Use that wrench and a cresent wrench in the following order.

Place the shock/spring assembly on the highest grip surface you can find. Grab the wrench, put your foot on the whole assembly and pull back with as much as it takes to get the nut free, but DO NOT REMOVE THE NUT!

Now that you have loosened the top not on the shock piston shaft, you'll want to use a spring compressor on the springs to releave the tention of the spring pushing up on the shock mount. If you don't own a spring compressor, shock with your favorite parts store, many of them have a loaner or rental program. Experienced owner's may elect not to use a spring compressor on their 350Z, even though their isn't a lot of preload on the front springs, do exercise caution. G35 springs have a lot more preload on them, NEVER remove a oem G35 spring from a front shock without a spring compressor.

Hope that helps,

Repeat on the other side of the car of course.

Last edited by Gsedan35; 08-10-2007 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:17 AM
THE TECH

If you're a noob, then be careful when using the above method as it can be possibly dangerous without using spring compressors.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:27 AM
kbomb

I'm going to install mine this weekend and using this link
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....springs+struts
Old 08-10-2007, 09:14 AM
blaukal

GSedan always has great posts -- I would just add that you should go ahead and use the spring compressors if you've never done it before, since you can basically rent them for free from any part store like Kragen / Advance / Pep Boys...
Old 08-10-2007, 09:52 AM
Ztalker

Originally Posted by THE TECH
If you're a noob, then be careful when using the above method as it can be possibly dangerous without using spring compressors.
+1 zillion.

use compressor FTW.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:58 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by THE TECH

Even though the process was geared to show owner's how to break free the bolt on the shock piston shaft vs wholesale removeal of the spring. I edited the post so it's crystal clear now, with a added caution aimed at G35 owners that will visit this site.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:10 AM
chishifu

Great write-up man. Getting the steering knuckle out of the way is CRITICAL to having a smooth install. When I did mine, I had one hell of a time maneuvering my coilover out and around that damn knuckle.