Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

True Coilovers - Are They Dangerous?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 10:20 PM
Jorge Cabrone

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default True Coilovers - Are They Dangerous?

Hi All,

With true coilovers such as Stances where the OEM spring and shock is removed, replaced with a single spring/shock setup. Question is, with all the weight and pressure all on the brace (picture #1) and bushing(picture#2), will this be dangerous in the sense that the shock push right through the brace as illustrated in the photo?

What are the long term affects of having coilovers and potential hazards with this setup and removal of the OEM spring/shock absorber?
Attached Thumbnails True Coilovers - Are They Dangerous?-rear_coilover_placement.jpg   True Coilovers - Are They Dangerous?-rear.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
350Zaida (08-12-2022)
Old 08-22-2007, 10:49 PM
n1sm0r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car isn't made of tin foil.
It'll be fine regardless of how long you have them on your car for.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:30 AM
jkim

Coilovers are the best way to go in any situation (besides factory suspension of course). To answer your question: No it will not harm your car in any way; you shouldn't worry about the coilover doing harm to your car, but the car doing harm to your coilovers. The body will always stay the way it is; the coilover however, breaks down overtime (leaks, pressure, etc), so make you check up on them every 10k-20k miles or so.

Also you can adjust height with coilovers which factory suspension nor aftermarket springs cannot do
Old 08-23-2007, 06:08 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I know chances of failure are slim, but I wouldnt sway away from the factory design. I know drift teams use that but its just my opinion. You also always hear/read of true coilovers creeking and rattling in the rear, makes you wonder how long those bushing will hold up with added stress. Good luck making a decision.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:01 AM
asiandreamer

if real race car drivers, drifters, autocross racers use coilovers, im sure coilovers are safe for daily street driving.
usually popular coilover companies have other users that have tested the products way harder than you may ever drive.

so, im sure it would be safe if you are not buying from some chinese ebay company. Stick with the most popular brand names. safety first, performance 2nd!
Old 08-23-2007, 07:55 AM
simonfencer

Originally Posted by asiandreamer
if real race car drivers, drifters, autocross racers use coilovers, im sure coilovers are safe for daily street driving.
usually popular coilover companies have other users that have tested the products way harder than you may ever drive.

so, im sure it would be safe if you are not buying from some chinese ebay company. Stick with the most popular brand names. safety first, performance 2nd!
The only thing to remember here is racing teams tend to inspect components way more often than the typical street driver.

If you are happy with the ride height and ride quality of your current springs, you might want to just consider a high quality shock absorber. Or a matched set of springs and shocks with the rates you want.

And any shock absorber will leak over time.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:22 AM
Jason@Riverside
Vendor - Former Vendor

The weakest point would be the two studs they would bolt up to in the top of the wheel well... I have seen a few pull out before... to replace properly, got to rip apart the whole rear quarter of the car...
Old 08-23-2007, 09:27 AM
jimmyloose

Originally Posted by asiandreamer

Some of the most successful race teams run spring/shock setups (SCCA T2 anyone?) that will outhandle most of those bull**** coilover setups anyday.

Buy some springs and some Yellows.

/thread.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:39 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Race cars are under stress but race on FLAT, smooth surfaces. We see joints, potholes, rough roads that race cars arent subject to, and I think that could lead to a problem. The point brought up is also valid that they inspect/change components all the time, most of us arent jacking up the car to check on our coilovers. I broke a camber rod hitting a bad joint on a bridge in my Z years ago, almost lost control. Not a typical issue but the street can be brutal in different ways than the track.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:52 AM
WA2GOOD
Banned

To the original poster............

I vigerously track test and road test alot (if not all) of the aftermarkets coilover systems so much lately that a few companies actually work with me and send me thier products to independently test for them and to help them devolpe better products as well as implement changes in thier existing products. I can confidently say that you should have NO problem with the true coilover system on your Z. I beat the hell out of these in real world conditions as well as some high "G" load track sesions. After track testing almost every suspension product under the sun for these Z's and G's for over 4 years I have seen what works and what doesen't. We have had a set of true coilovers on our Time Attack race car for over 2 years now with absolutely no excess wear, and trust me this car gets beat on.

SCOTT @ RELENTLESS AUTOSPORTS -- Still Building the fastest Daily Driven & Track Proven Z's, G's, FX's, EVO's, TC's, and more!
Old 08-24-2007, 06:01 AM
THE TECH

The only thing that I can disagree with is the fact that racecars tend to rack up miles A LOT slower than your average daily driver. This means that the actual real world effect might be worse than what you see on a track car.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:02 PM
daytona350z

Originally Posted by THE TECH
The only thing that I can disagree with is the fact that racecars tend to rack up miles A LOT slower than your average daily driver. This means that the actual real world effect might be worse than what you see on a track car.
hatebobbarker and i currently run rear coilovers o the track an street. i think he has about 20k ish miles on the setup, and he hasnt had ay problems at all, i think he has around 54k mi total. no problems and no cracking of that rear bushing. i havehad no problems as well, just uber goodness on the track
Old 08-24-2007, 05:04 PM
daytona350z

Originally Posted by Alberto
I broke a camber rod hitting a bad joint on a bridge in my Z years ago, almost lost control. Not a typical issue but the street can be brutal in different ways than the track.
what brand camber arm? maybe has a ittle to do with it ?
Old 08-25-2007, 06:12 PM
Axelerate

Originally Posted by jimmyloose
Some of the most successful race teams run spring/shock setups (SCCA T2 anyone?) that will outhandle most of those bull**** coilover setups anyday.

Buy some springs and some Yellows.

/thread.
No, they run double adjustable, customed valved Koni's with T2 springs. Some run the set-up on a threaded strut, hence it's a "coil-over."

T2 springs are too stiff for off the shelf yellows.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:41 PM
rkd350z

I have stance coilover for 4k miles and it's fine just a little noise but it decreased after I changed my tires to softer side wall ones (ecsta MX)I think Wa2good knows wassup.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:34 PM
phenix

http://www.splparts.com/Parts/Z33/Su...oiloverFAQ.htm

Old 08-31-2007, 02:29 PM
jimmyloose

Originally Posted by Axelerate
No, they run double adjustable, customed valved Koni's with T2 springs. Some run the set-up on a threaded strut, hence it's a "coil-over."

T2 springs are too stiff for off the shelf yellows.
I have DA TC Kline Koni's and T2's. I guess you could run a threaded perch on the rear, but what's the point there? The rears already sit too high.

I thought this thread was a discussion of the 'true rear coil-over' setups championed by some of the companies out there.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:52 PM
Triple8Sol
Banned

Originally Posted by Alberto
Race cars are under stress but race on FLAT, smooth surfaces. We see joints, potholes, rough roads that race cars arent subject to, and I think that could lead to a problem. The point brought up is also valid that they inspect/change components all the time, most of us arent jacking up the car to check on our coilovers. I broke a camber rod hitting a bad joint on a bridge in my Z years ago, almost lost control. Not a typical issue but the street can be brutal in different ways than the track.

I was just about to post something to that effect. Racers run on smooth (for the most part) surfaces. You've got tons of obstacles and crazy terrain to handle in real life.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:58 PM
Axelerate

Originally Posted by jimmyloose
I have DA TC Kline Koni's and T2's. I guess you could run a threaded perch on the rear, but what's the point there? The rears already sit too high.

I thought this thread was a discussion of the 'true rear coil-over' setups championed by some of the companies out there.
To corner weight the car.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:14 PM
wtf no turbo

Simply put no failures posted yet.

Quick Reply: True Coilovers - Are They Dangerous?