Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

stay away from Koni

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 01:58 PM
Mr_Drifter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stay away from Koni

so I bought some new shocks for the Z...the Koni yellows. I put them on, and just when I'm about to wrap everything up, the adjuster on the passenger shock breaks off. Koni sends me a replacement one and I put that on...it adjusts just fine. today I go to make it a little softer, and what do I find?...a small pool of oil on top of this new replacement passenger side shock! WTF Koni! I tried calling them today, but of course I never was able to reach anyone. I would highly suggest to everyone to buy the Tokicos...maybe you will have better luck with those.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:19 PM
350Z84

I never had a problem with Konis before. May have just been a bad shock from the beginning. I'm sure they'll help remedy it for you.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:42 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If your still running them without the front dust shield/bump stops it was going to only a matter of time before they would be damaged internally.

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension/291749-problem-after-installing-konis.html
Old 08-29-2007, 04:49 PM
Mr_Drifter

no, after you said that I put the boot back on when I received the new shock. With this one, when I pushed down on the adjuster ever so slightly, oil would come oozing out. I heard a noise when I was driving home today, now I know what it was.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:20 AM
daveh

If the monkey's at the dealership installed the top nut with an impact wrench, then they've probably damaged the shock, hence the leaking. Sorry you're having so much trouble with these. I'm very happy with mine after 2+ years.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:25 AM
Ztalker

i've had Tokico D-specs installed(DIY) for over two years, no problems whatsoever.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:37 AM
Fluid1

Originally Posted by Mr_Drifter
so I bought some new shocks for the Z...the Koni yellows. I put them on, and just when I'm about to wrap everything up, the adjuster on the passenger shock breaks off. Koni sends me a replacement one and I put that on...it adjusts just fine. today I go to make it a little softer, and what do I find?...a small pool of oil on top of this new replacement passenger side shock! WTF Koni! I tried calling them today, but of course I never was able to reach anyone. I would highly suggest to everyone to buy the Tokicos...maybe you will have better luck with those.

Tokicos are far inferior to the Konis. Send them back, Koni will make it right.
What is the oil from?
Did you install them yourself?
Old 08-30-2007, 08:51 AM
THE TECH

I wouldn't bash Koni. They are one of the best shock manufacturers in the world. You might have just gotten into a batch of bad luck. I'm sure Koni will make it right.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:08 AM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At least Koni will address your issue and resolve it - you simply won't find that with any other damper manufacturer out there. Tokicos aren't even in the same league as Koni in quality and performance...
Old 08-30-2007, 09:33 AM
Triple8Sol
Banned

I don't think anybody will take your advice. They've been around for too long, and put out too many great products...
Old 09-03-2007, 11:25 PM
Blazemaster

can the koni's rear shock be adjusted from the rear strut bar like the tokico dsp? the thread on the rear of my tokicos are gone and cannot be adjusted. I've looked at a picture of the koni's and it seems like they have some kind of cover or **** that you turn to adjust the firmness. On the tokico's it's adjusted by a hex screw driver, and I have a hole drilled on top of the rear strut bar to allow for access with a longer hex screw driver.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:10 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Blazemaster
can the koni's rear shock be adjusted from the rear strut bar like the tokico dsp? the thread on the rear of my tokicos are gone and cannot be adjusted. I've looked at a picture of the koni's and it seems like they have some kind of cover or **** that you turn to adjust the firmness. On the tokico's it's adjusted by a hex screw driver, and I have a hole drilled on top of the rear strut bar to allow for access with a longer hex screw driver.
The front Konis have a removable **** which can be used to adjust from the top. The rears however, cannot be adjusted from the top. You have to jack up the rear enough so you can get your hand up into the wheel well and a small hex wrench into the adjusting slot. Really very easy, minus the jacking-up-the-rear bit.

I had the same leaking problem with my Konis on both fronts. They sent replacements free of charge. Now one side is completely leak free, but the other has leaked *slightly* but it looks like it isn't a constant flow, just some trickle after the initial adjustment. Hopefully they will stay together.

Although Koni customer service is GREAT and they make GREAT shocks, I can be sympathetic to the OP's frustrations. Shock install in the Z is nice and easy, but still a PITA if you have to do it over and over (regardless of lifetime hassle-free warranty replacement).

I should say in the name of full disclosure that I purchased my Konis used, so who knows what damage was done to the fronts on the original owners installation.

Either way, my lesson was learned, and I will never buy used shocks again.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:58 PM
z-u-later

I bought a used set of Koni Yellows a few months ago & never have any issues, and I autocross my Z.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:28 PM
Blazemaster

wow...Koni's will send you free replacement even when you bought them used w/o warranty?
Old 09-07-2007, 05:19 AM
guitman32

Originally Posted by Blazemaster
wow...Koni's will send you free replacement even when you bought them used w/o warranty?
Technically, no. I had to work with the seller to secure replacements, who was very cooperative considering I noticed the leaking the day after installing the original fronts.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:14 AM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Didn't I read somewhere that the shocks are overfilled a bit and that some initial oil spillage is normal?

I can't find my Koni papers. But I would swear...
Old 09-08-2007, 09:46 PM
guitman32

Originally Posted by Kolia
Didn't I read somewhere that the shocks are overfilled a bit and that some initial oil spillage is normal?

I can't find my Koni papers. But I would swear...
Yes, I think we spoke about that in the thread I made for my shocks when they were leaking. I called Koni when I had the problem with my first set of fronts and they informed me that the shocks are overfilled and some leakage is normal. I agreed and held off until I felt the leakage was becoming excessive. At the rate mine were going, even an extra 150ml would be well gone within 3-4 months (an estimate of course). Either way, I think they are aware that anything after the initial leakage is abnormal. They really didn't put up any fight and sent a replacement without question.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:52 PM
jadaniya
Banned

why go after koni without even seeing if they will make things right for you? Just because they didn't answer the phone today? lol
Old 09-17-2007, 11:38 PM
darklocust
Banned

Originally Posted by jadaniya
why go after koni without even seeing if they will make things right for you? Just because they didn't answer the phone today? lol
I have the same problem!
https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension/302063-tokico-dsp-9-owners-do-you-have-bump-stops-installed.html

The worst part is that the shop denies ever seeing the dust shield/bump stops. But you can clearly see that my oem shocks are clean up top, which means they did have them and must have either forget to install them or threw them away. Who knows. So I paid these guys $350 to install shocks, springs and arms and they can't do it right. So much for their "we've done a lot of 350z before" and now want to charge me to put the stuff they forget and lost!!!
Old 09-18-2007, 06:34 AM
Mr_Drifter

well, Koni took back all my shocks and i got a refund from the place i bought them from. now i'll be getting a set of coilovers in the next few days.