Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

GTSPEC Fender Braces - Review + Pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 05:14 AM
z-u-later

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good write-up and nice setup. I have all the GTSPEC lower braces, to include the Tanabe Sustec brace. My Z already handles well in autocross but I can't wait to have these fender braces installed, in addition to the GTSPEC front strut bar.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:39 PM
dome P 2

Originally Posted by SinCity350Z
We race a bunch of Evos & STIs. Of course, being AWD, they are never in our class obviously. Here are a few of the faster ones that run the same races we do...

HG Motorsports Evo
Crawford STI
AMS Evo
Robispec Evo(s)
Evasive Evo

We are also starting on a Time Attack Evo. Its actually my newest daily driver and will be built most likely for Street AWD in 2008 and will most likely make its debut in the Redline Time Attack Finals at Laguna Seca. I will run that event in Modified AWD though because I will be busy driving the Z in the Street RWD class. The Z is retiring from Street class in 2008 though, so it will be replaced by the Evo.

SC

That z looks wicked..

any laptimes you can post of Big Willow, Streets Willow(long config. bowl) and Pahrump?

thanx

d
Old 09-23-2007, 07:44 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^Thanks! The only one I have in that car out of those tracks is Big Willow and it was 1:31.0 in the summer on RA1s and some lap traffic.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:52 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

I just picked up the complete GTSpec unbody bracing. Might have to pick these up once I get the cash. Thanks for the review.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:37 AM
jcpeyton

z-u-later---just did a quick search on "Tanabe Sustec brace" and can't seem to locate it specifically. Can you provide a link or additional info? Thanks.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:30 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

tanabe underbrace:

http://www.tanabe-usa.com/other/files/211_img1.jpg
Old 09-27-2007, 11:20 AM
z-u-later

Originally Posted by jcpeyton
z-u-later---just did a quick search on "Tanabe Sustec brace" and can't seem to locate it specifically. Can you provide a link or additional info? Thanks.
Z1 posted a link. There are several vendors carrying the Tanabe brace. It complements the GTSPEC braces. I think I ordered mine from Performance Nissan.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:16 PM
jcpeyton

I now see that it is a ladder brace, seemingly close to the GTSpec product. Thanks to all for the help.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:11 AM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Any word on release date? A search of the "usual suspects" authorized GTSPEC vendors does not show the product.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:26 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

later in the fall - we'll post when they are in
Old 10-03-2007, 05:45 AM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks
Old 10-03-2007, 06:46 AM
spacemn_spiff

Originally Posted by GTSPEC
To address GUITMAN32’s questions he is correct in thinking that the majority of the force would be applied through the front bolts. That being the case any stress on the bar would directly transfer through the front mounting bolts and put stress on the cars sheet metal (not at all what we want to achieve here). To counteract this all of our braces are designed to actually transfer the force away from the mounting bolts by using steel tabs. These tabs brace the backside of the bolt to the fender at 2 more distinct locations. This in turn then takes the stress away from these mounting bolts and allows the brace to do its job.
Thanks for the post, but I am not sure what is exactly being said here. Are you talking about stress or stiffness and why?

Please allow me to be the devil's advocate here, I am getting educated by questioning whats being done here, no offense intended. According to pics looks like the brace has a stiff axis that is vertical (along gravity - yaw axis) and weak axis that is horizontal (pitch axis). The only job this brace does it stiffen the support points in the stiff axis or vertical axis.

Now how does one know that stiffness is needed in the vertical axis for the Z, from the looks of a typical monocoque structure, its easy for the monocoque design engineer to increase stiffness/rigidity in the same axis that this brace provides, its actually hard to provide bending stiffness in the yaw axis for a manufacturer, so then strut to strut braces and strut to fire wall braces are needed.

So it leads me to believe that GTSpec thinks that Z needs bracing in the direction that is easy to stiffen up for a manufacturer in the chassis design, has GTSpec analyzed what is the effect of adding stifffness (are there any numbers to show that improvement), is it marginal or a big difference. I am prejudiced to think its former if it provides any stiffness at all, all it might do is increase the weight on the front.

It would be only natural to see what Nissan has done to Nismo Z for stiffening and use that to provide stiffeners for the normal Zs. Just because one can brace bolt holes together doesnt mean that the load path goes through the brace or in other words stiffness that connection points.

I would love to hear thoughts from GTSpec.

Last edited by spacemn_spiff; 10-03-2007 at 06:53 AM.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:49 AM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

Any word on the fitment for a USDM G35 coupe?

Dave
Old 10-13-2007, 12:15 PM
thinking

Originally Posted by spacemn_spiff
Thanks for the post, but I am not sure what is exactly being said here. Are you talking about stress or stiffness and why?

Please allow me to be the devil's advocate here, I am getting educated by questioning whats being done here, no offense intended. According to pics looks like the brace has a stiff axis that is vertical (along gravity - yaw axis) and weak axis that is horizontal (pitch axis). The only job this brace does it stiffen the support points in the stiff axis or vertical axis.

Now how does one know that stiffness is needed in the vertical axis for the Z, from the looks of a typical monocoque structure, its easy for the monocoque design engineer to increase stiffness/rigidity in the same axis that this brace provides, its actually hard to provide bending stiffness in the yaw axis for a manufacturer, so then strut to strut braces and strut to fire wall braces are needed.

So it leads me to believe that GTSpec thinks that Z needs bracing in the direction that is easy to stiffen up for a manufacturer in the chassis design, has GTSpec analyzed what is the effect of adding stifffness (are there any numbers to show that improvement), is it marginal or a big difference. I am prejudiced to think its former if it provides any stiffness at all, all it might do is increase the weight on the front.

It would be only natural to see what Nissan has done to Nismo Z for stiffening and use that to provide stiffeners for the normal Zs. Just because one can brace bolt holes together doesnt mean that the load path goes through the brace or in other words stiffness that connection points.

I would love to hear thoughts from GTSpec.

Hello, GTSpec, are you listening?
Old 10-13-2007, 01:43 PM
Fletch69z

That car is beautiful and now I"m thinking about getting these braces, .
Old 10-13-2007, 03:33 PM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Originally Posted by Fletch69z
That car is beautiful and now I"m thinking about getting these braces, .
Thanks, and yes, you can not go wrong with GT Spec parts.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:26 AM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

Any update on USDM G35 coupe fitment?
Old 10-26-2007, 09:10 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
later in the fall - we'll post when they are in
Do you have these in stock or available to purchase yet Darren?
Old 10-30-2007, 11:24 AM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ same question... these available yet? I want these and the v2 rear lower tie bar that will fit with Nismo exhaust.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:04 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

they are not in yet - should be in the next 10-14 days when we see them

not sure what the eta is on the V2 underbraces, have not heard anything about them yet

Quick Reply: GTSPEC Fender Braces - Review + Pics