Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Brake Dillema!!! Brembo's or stoptech front

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 03:20 PM
daytona350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Brake Dillema!!! Brembo's or stoptech front

im in this little fight with myself.
i have the opportunity to buy a whole set front and rear of brembo brakes that were on my friends g35 coupe for a price of around 1800$ which includes everything i need to upgrade my crappy touring brakes. but i dunno weather to spend the money on a stoptech 13in. set.
what should i do? a complete set of brembos or a front kit of stoptech's?
Old 06-02-2003, 03:31 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

For that money, I'd go Brembo first, Stoptechs second. You are spending virtually the same amount of money and getting all four corners. Most guys that have the track model and actually track it seem to have little desire to upgrade. I think a lot of people would jump all over that price on the Brembos.

What did he put on?

I'm figuring I'll go junk yarding in a year or so and be able to find Brembos pretty reasonably with track Zs and G35Cs both having the Brembos, if I decide at the time I want a set of brakes
Old 06-02-2003, 03:39 PM
cbsuper

Get the stoptechs. The Brembo system is damned expensive.
Old 06-02-2003, 04:01 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

He's buying a take off set for $1800 for all four corners. Not that expensive. The front stoptechs are more.
Old 06-02-2003, 04:21 PM
cbsuper

Oh, I thought he was talking about getting a true Brembo upgrade. :P In that case then, get the Brembo setup.
Old 06-02-2003, 04:33 PM
nwind21

if you're considering stoptechs you can always look at AP kits too.
Old 06-02-2003, 05:42 PM
React3

www.gruppe-s.com you can find them cheaper (stoptech) just email them...

But APracing makes a rear kit that fits with the stock rotor (2-pot caliper) Think about it.... Good luck
Old 06-02-2003, 05:55 PM
westpak
SFZCC

I would say it depends on what you are going to do, if you are going to the track and drive it hard there then you might want to get the Stoptechs if not definelty the Brembos.

I had an instructor with a Track model at Sebring and he had changed the fronts to Stoptechs and was happier.
Old 06-02-2003, 08:38 PM
n8vz

Default 4 piston vs. 6 pistons fronts

My Track has 4 piston fronts. Still breaking the car in so haven't had a chance to utilize the brake's full potential. Now back to the main point. Many of the newer brake system upgrades feature 6 piston fronts. Is StopTech such a system?
Old 06-02-2003, 11:19 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 4 piston vs. 6 pistons fronts

Originally posted by n8vz
My Track has 4 piston fronts. Still breaking the car in so haven't had a chance to utilize the brake's full potential. Now back to the main point. Many of the newer brake system upgrades feature 6 piston fronts. Is StopTech such a system?
Stoptech has 4 piston fronts.

Daytona, how worn are the pads you would be getting with the Brembo kit? That might be something to check out.

I know that with the stock rears wear out quite fast, but are also cheap to replace. Don't know how well the track rears hold up, but since they are slightly bigger, they probably last a bit longer.

If you get stoptechs you will still need to replace rear pads pretty frequently if you are tracking often. With Brembo's you may not need to do that.

I will probably get the Stoptech 13" Front Kit for my Performance Z, but the Track Brembo's sure are nice as well. I think you'd be fine with either kit, and therefore can't really go wrong.

-D'oh!

Last edited by D'oh; 06-02-2003 at 11:25 PM.
Old 06-03-2003, 04:44 AM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

A downside I've heard about the Brembos are the rotor replacement costs, though. Aren't a set more than $500, compared to low $100s for the standards? Of course, I think you can turn the Brembo rotors more than the 1x or so you can do with the stock ones. Don't know about the rotors on the Stoptechs.
Old 06-03-2003, 02:29 PM
daytona350z

im thinkin of goin with the full brembos
thanks
Old 06-03-2003, 08:08 PM
daytona350z

Originally posted by VQracer
Brembos, I'm biased.

Victor
already purchsed them...they are goin on in a week or two
Old 07-01-2003, 06:37 AM
jckolnturn

How did it come out and are they a straight bolt-on replacement for the stock non- brembo's
Old 07-01-2003, 09:48 AM
was wesman

Originally posted by nwind21
if you're considering stoptechs you can always look at AP kits too.
If you're considering either of those consider Willwood...I'll have the 6-piston front kit on in a week or so. It's my understanding they will be priced similar to the others. I'll provide info when I have it for sure.

--wes
Old 07-01-2003, 11:35 AM
GaryK

I was going to recommend the Stoptech or AP front kit over the full Track setup. The bulk of the braking is done with the front, and on most cars like the 350z there really isn't a need to upgrade the rears for performance reasons. If the weight distribution was more like a 911 (like 65% on the rear), then you would benefit from a rear brake upgrade.

Also, the Wilwood kits are generally ok if you are upgrading just for looks, but the calipers they usually include don't even begin to compare to AP, Stoptech, or Brembo. They do make some good calipers, they just don't sell street kits with the good calipers. That's why their kits are usually pretty cheap relative to others.
Old 07-01-2003, 02:29 PM
daytona350z

Originally posted by jckolnturn
How did it come out and are they a straight bolt-on replacement for the stock non- brembo's
i'll take some pics and post them when i get back from my trip on the 14th
Old 07-01-2003, 03:10 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Originally posted by GaryK
I was going to recommend the Stoptech or AP front kit over the full Track setup. The bulk of the braking is done with the front, and on most cars like the 350z there really isn't a need to upgrade the rears for performance reasons. If the weight distribution was more like a 911 (like 65% on the rear), then you would benefit from a rear brake upgrade.
The problem is a lot of people using stock brakes are having problems with very fast wear on the rear pads because those brakes are so small. There is a theory this is due to the electronic brake force distribution trying to compensate too much.

I'd agree with you if it was going to cost $4-5K to do all four, but he got the 4 Brembos for less than the cost of the front kits.
Old 07-01-2003, 04:40 PM
Nocturnal

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by React3
www.gruppe-s.com you can find them cheaper (stoptech) just email them...

But APracing makes a rear kit that fits with the stock rotor (2-pot caliper) Think about it.... Good luck
I have searched hi and low, but I couldn't find the AP racing 2 POT rear brake...who have it? I have heard of this for ages, but I couldn't find this thing. I have heard it uses the stock 322mmx22mm track rotor if I am correct, right? That brake will go so well with the 363mm 6piston brake kit...
Old 07-01-2003, 06:01 PM
GaryK

Originally posted by MannishBoy
The problem is a lot of people using stock brakes are having problems with very fast wear on the rear pads because those brakes are so small. There is a theory this is due to the electronic brake force distribution trying to compensate too much.

I'd agree with you if it was going to cost $4-5K to do all four, but he got the 4 Brembos for less than the cost of the front kits.
From what I understand, the only ones really having problems with rear brake wear are running with VDC on. On the track or autox, you should not be running with it on. Even if you have problems without VDC, it could be caused by inadequate front brakes. Since the fronts do most of the work, the puny stock (non-Brembo) front brakes will start to fade quickly, shifting the bias to the rear. Then, the rear compensating for the diminishing performance of the front brakes. This is just my opinion based on a lot of experience with different cars.... I haven't done anything more than autox my z yet, and stock touring brakes are adequate for that BTW.

I'd still take the Stoptech front @ 2k versus the Track brakes....and I think they can be had for less anyway. Of course, this is coming from a racer, not a boulevard cruiser. The Track setup does look good, I have to admit....but "zing" comes before "bling" in my list of priorities.

Quick Reply: Brake Dillema!!! Brembo's or stoptech front