Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Stock suspension feel

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 04:33 AM
halfass872

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock suspension feel

So i'm coming up on 51,000 mis, and the roads are really crappy here, so i'm gonna be ready to replace my springs/shocks. They are way over priced from the dealer, but i like how the stock ride is and want to stay as close to it as possible. Are there any aftermarket shocks/springs that are equivilant to stock?? Do i have to replace my springs??

Thanks!!
Old 11-18-2007, 08:00 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No need to replace the springs unless you want something that a different spring has to offer, shorter or a different rate.

Shock wise, it's ill advised to mirror a oem shock setup that has poor rebound control (that's why the car has bounce and freeway porposing, I know I've run them on my own car till I pulled them). I understand that 03/04 shocks have more compression dampning then when Nissan revised the suspension and fixed the problem, but poor control hurts performance in the end then smooth as glass pavement is the extream exception vs the rule. Their is one shock and one shock only that can reach and exceed the 03/04 oem shocks high levels of compression dampning. Tokico D-specs set to to full stiff or 1 click down from that. Just like Nissan with the 04.5+ revision, Koni specifically lowered compression dampning levels which they felt were excessively high and improved rebound control. Kyb GR-2 and Tokico HP also will not be as stiff as 03/04 oem shocks.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:30 PM
r26

I have tein basics and feel that the shocks are aged. do you think it would be wise to just switch out the tein shocks with tokico shocks?
Old 11-19-2007, 02:27 AM
halfass872

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
No need to replace the springs unless you want something that a different spring has to offer, shorter or a different rate.

Shock wise, it's ill advised to mirror a oem shock setup that has poor rebound control (that's why the car has bounce and freeway porposing, I know I've run them on my own car till I pulled them). I understand that 03/04 shocks have more compression dampning then when Nissan revised the suspension and fixed the problem, but poor control hurts performance in the end then smooth as glass pavement is the extream exception vs the rule. Their is one shock and one shock only that can reach and exceed the 03/04 oem shocks high levels of compression dampning. Tokico D-specs set to to full stiff or 1 click down from that. Just like Nissan with the 04.5+ revision, Koni specifically lowered compression dampning levels which they felt were excessively high and improved rebound control. Kyb GR-2 and Tokico HP also will not be as stiff as 03/04 oem shocks.

Good stuff, thanks man!!!
Old 11-19-2007, 03:32 AM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by r26
I have tein basics and feel that the shocks are aged. do you think it would be wise to just switch out the tein shocks with tokico shocks?
no
Old 11-19-2007, 04:28 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by r26

two completely different systems. Tein basic coilovers do not use standard shocks.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:01 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Or Tein S-tech + Shocks?

Or Hotchkis + Shocks?

( No Camber, Might Better then stock (?) )