Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Inside tire wear with Hotchkis TVS

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 05:50 PM
TheProfessional

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inside tire wear with Hotchkis TVS

I installed a set of BFG KDW2 OE size on my 2006 last November. I run 34-35 psi year round.

I noticed this week I had very low tread depth on my right rear and changed it out. What I noticed was 1/32" tread in the middle of the tire, 2/32" on the inside of the tire, and 5/32" on the outside.

Is this proper tire wear??

This is a new BFG KDW2:

This is the old tire after 20,000 miles mostly on the Hotchkis TVS:

This is the wear in the middle:

This is the wear on the inside of the tire:

This is the wear on the outside of the tire, a significant amount more than the inside:

This is the side view of the offending wheel:

Another side view from the other side:

This is the drop on the back:
Old 11-24-2007, 06:04 PM
Zridder19

Did you get an alignment after you dropped it?? I know that stock camber is ok for 1 to 2 degrees neg. either way will wear a bit on your tires.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:08 PM
TheProfessional

Originally Posted by Zridder19
Did you get an alignment after you dropped it?? I know that stock camber is ok for 1 to 2 degrees neg. either way will wear a bit on your tires.
What's alignment?

No j/k. Actually the drop has progressed SLOWLY from almost no drop initially to what you see and it appears to have crept up on me. I have not noticed any alignment problems, perhaps it is time, but I am putting off until I get new wheels/tires.

EDIT: Oh did I mention, this tire has 30% less tread than the rest of the tires.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:12 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TheProfessional
Is this proper tire wear??
No. 1/32 and 5/32 is a considerable difference.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:15 PM
VIZAGE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say that's about proper wear for your setup. You could have a little more even with a rear camber kit. But even with the better tread depth on the outside, it would still be time to change tire anyways. And if that tire has less than the others, toe needs to be check. Which all of it's done at the same time anyways.Go ahead and plan on a rear camber and toe bolts. Very cheap compared to tires.

I have to say that Hotchkis kit looks like it really settled more than others. Mine I used to have were no where near that low. But my Eibach pro-kit is about that (one finger when on perfect level ground).

Last edited by VIZAGE; 11-24-2007 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:18 PM
TheProfessional

Originally Posted by VIZAGE
I would say that's about proper wear for your setup. You could have a little more even with a rear camber kit. But even with the better tread depth on the outside, it would still be time to change tire anyways.

I have to say that Hotchkis kit looks like it really settled more than others. Mine I used to have were no where near that low. But my Eibach pro-kit is about that (one finger when on perfect level ground).
I thought it was a bit more than normal, I wonder if I will start rubbing one day with stock wheels/tires on a hotchkis! LOL j/k

A couple of people at Zdayz asked what springs I had and seemed surprised it was Hotchkis... again I thought it dropped the back more than the front...
Old 11-24-2007, 08:04 PM
rickyislaZy

Hey dude, got any profile shots of your car?
I hope my Hotchkis can go lower.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:46 PM
TheProfessional

Originally Posted by rickyislaZy
Hey dude, got any profile shots of your car?
I hope my Hotchkis can go lower.
The tires were installed 12/08/06, the Hotchkis kit was installed 2/11/07. This photo was taken 4/19/07. I dont have any more recent pics:

Old 11-25-2007, 06:10 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

What's alignment?

No j/k. Actually the drop has progressed SLOWLY from almost no drop initially to what you see and it appears to have crept up on me. I have not noticed any alignment problems, perhaps it is time, but I am putting off until I get new wheels/tires.

EDIT: Oh did I mention, this tire has 30% less tread than the rest of the tires.

ok redo the alignament after your new wheels and tires and come back to the thread in 1 month...

cause if you drop your car you have to get it aligned, its natural that the camber will start to get gradually off...doesnt mean your stearing will go off completly ..lets say, to the right...you might not feel it since we are talking 1%s....
Old 11-25-2007, 01:46 PM
Sean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your tires are angled in do to the drop, the inner part of your tire is hugging the road hard while your outter rubber barely makes contact. Soon the ply will split while you are driving.

get a kit with a camber and toe arm. these guys put out a nice product at a great price, don't overpay just to have a brand name on your bolts.
http://stores.ebay.com/Speed-Racer-P...QQftidZ2QQtZkm
Old 11-25-2007, 01:59 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

I read that with Hotchkis TVS Stage 1 kit, you didn't need a camber kit. Getting an alignment should fix the negative camber caused by the drop from the hotchkis springs, right? No need for any additional modifications to the suspension to get everything back to spec?
Old 11-25-2007, 02:28 PM
TheProfessional

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
I read that with Hotchkis TVS Stage 1 kit, you didn't need a camber kit. Getting an alignment should fix the negative camber caused by the drop from the hotchkis springs, right? No need for any additional modifications to the suspension to get everything back to spec?
That's what I'm trying to figure out. Also, thinking of moving the rear OEM tire fitment 245/45/18 to the front where I already have 225/45/18 and then putting 275/40/18 on the rear, so some negative camber MIGHT be good.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:09 PM
VIZAGE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
Yes, I thought the same thing also. But still needed them to get camber to my likings and in spec. But all cars act different to a certain point. Plus his springs seem to be a lot lower than Hotchkis is know for, even over time I don't think they should settle that much. But looks good. So I feel he's running more camber than can be corrected. But I can be easily wrong.

I think it would be in best interest to buy a $135 kit and have a alignment done once after the new tires.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:25 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

That's what I'm trying to figure out. Also, thinking of moving the rear OEM tire fitment 245/45/18 to the front where I already have 225/45/18 and then putting 275/40/18 on the rear, so some negative camber MIGHT be good.
245/45/18 is too tall for the front. The optimum size, if going with 18 inch rims and 245 mm width, is 245/40/18. Your speedometer, odometer, mpg, etc will all be off. Also, in what settings would negative camber be good?

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

^ Use that to calculate the best tire size and see how much things are affected.

Originally Posted by VIZAGE
Yes, I thought the same thing also. But still needed them to get camber to my likings and in spec. But all cars act different to a certain point. Plus his springs seem to be a lot lower than Hotchkis is know for, even over time I don't think they should settle that much. But looks good. So I feel he's running more camber than can be corrected. But I can be easily wrong.

I think it would be in best interest to buy a $135 kit and have a alignment done once after the new tires.
If I were to get new tires and get the alignment redone, they'd tell me if I need a camber kit or not, right?

I'm assuming that if they can't get it into original spec, then they'll get it as close as possible and tell me that it's not in spec, at the very least.