Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Megan Racing BBK: Track Proven A++

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 09:59 PM
n1cK!
Infiltrator!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so you use the same pads on the track and the street? i'm curious as to what the operating range for these pads are. if you know and could share, that would be greatly appreciated.

i remember your car from that weekend...i ran on saturday, but not sunday. but you were fast! i can't believe that no other mods have been done to the engine! the best time i could muster was 2:08 using Ecsta MX's. that was my first time at that track though. i couldn't nail that loop just before the cross-over bridge (turns 7 and 8).

Last edited by n1cK!; 12-08-2007 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:34 PM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Originally Posted by n1cK!
so you use the same pads on the track and the street? i'm curious as to what the operating range for these pads are. if you know and could share, that would be greatly appreciated.

i remember your car from that weekend...i ran on saturday, but not sunday. but you were fast! i can't believe that no other mods have been done to the engine! the best time i could muster was 2:08 using Ecsta MX's. that was my first time at that track though. i couldn't nail that loop just before the cross-over bridge (turns 7 and 8).
Sory, don't realy have any data on the pads that are used on these brakes other than they have an operating range of 50-650 degrees.

Thanks, yeah, the blue Z you are refering to is entirely stock except for a custom 3" single exhaust and a JWT pop charger. That is IT for the power side of the car.
As for suspension this car is kinda our test muel. It has had about 5 different sets of coilovers on it and at this track day it was back on the Megan Racing (off the shelf) coilovers. It also has Megan Racing camber arms, and radious arms. Other than the brakes, wheels & tires, Quaif LSD, and SPL Parts solid diff bushings, this car is pure stock. Car ran consistant 1.57.xx and some 1.56.xx on both days.

Last edited by WA2GOOD; 12-08-2007 at 10:48 PM.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:40 PM
n1cK!
Infiltrator!

Originally Posted by WA2GOOD
Sory, don't realy have any data on the pads that are used on these brakes.

Thanks, yeah, the blue Z you are refering to is entirely stock except for a custom 3" single exhaust and a JWT pop charger. That is IT for the power side of the car.
As for suspension this car is kinda our test muel. It has had about 5 different sets of coilovers on it and at this track day it was back on the Megan Racing (off the shelf) coilovers. It also has Megan Racing camber arms, and radious arms. Other than the brakes, wheels & tires, Quaif LSD, and SPL Parts solid diff bushings, this car is pure stock. Car ran consistant 1.57.xx and some 1.56.xx on both days.
i guess the tires and LSD really help, eh? i'm having a diff rebuilt now with a Cusco LSD. the next set of tires i will try will be the NT01's. hopefully after some practice, i will be in sub 2's on the ROVAL!

but as far as the pads, you guys use the same for the track and the street? i currently change mine out (along with the rotors) everytime i go to the track. it's a drag, but Vita Nuova's wouldn't last on the track at all, but my carbotech's aren't recommended for the street.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:49 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i guess the tires and LSD really help, eh? i'm having a diff rebuilt now with a Cusco LSD. the next set of tires i will try will be the NT01's. hopefully after some practice, i will be in sub 2's on the ROVAL!

but as far as the pads, you guys use the same for the track and the street? i currently change mine out (along with the rotors) everytime i go to the track. it's a drag, but Vita Nuova's wouldn't last on the track at all, but my carbotech's aren't recommended for the street.
The tires are a big help for sure, but if you have only one track day under your belt, I HIGHLY recommend staying on street tires for a while. The sticker your tires are, the more driving mistakes they will cover, so if you want to speed up the process of becoming a better driver then stick with the street tires.

The pads we ran in the Megans are the one supplied with the kit and the same ones that Scott runs on the street in that car. Personally, I was a little skeptical at first thinking that they were going to wear really quickly or not be up to the abuse, but they far exceeded my expectations and I am not easy on brakes.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:54 PM
WA2GOOD
Banned

On this car with these brakes, there seems to bo no need to fool with changing the pads and rotors for track vs. street

The tires are good for about 2-4 seconds over stock, We also had a white Z there for comparison that was completely stock other than Stance coilovers, Stillen exhaust, JWT pop charger, Stillen sways, and stillen headers, wheels and tires, without a LSD and it pretty much ran the same times with us driving as the blue car did (within a second or less).

Last edited by WA2GOOD; 12-09-2007 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:55 PM
n1cK!
Infiltrator!

well, it wasn't my first time on any track...just that one. i'm no pro, or expert, and don't have that many track days under my belt. that's mainly the reason why i stuck with street tires...i figure i need to learn how to drive the car first before i start going crazy on mods and such.

as far as the pads, i'm just curious about their operating temp range, dusting and noise, etc. i haven't seen a pad yet that could be run on the street AND the track, and would be pleasantly surprised if these proved me wrong. i'm hoping so because i get tired/lazy of changing out my pads AND rotors everytime i go out on track day.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:58 PM
WA2GOOD
Banned

well, it wasn't my first time on any track...just that one. i'm no pro, or expert, and don't have that many track days under my belt. that's mainly the reason why i stuck with street tires...i figure i need to learn how to drive the car first before i start going crazy on mods and such.

as far as the pads, i'm just curious about their operating temp range, dusting and noise, etc. i haven't seen a pad yet that could be run on the street AND the track, and would be pleasantly surprised if these proved me wrong. i'm hoping so because i get tired/lazy of changing out my pads AND rotors everytime i go out on track day.
Stick to street tires for a while then go to an R compound, you will be glad you did.

As far as the brakes, seems like getting these MR brakes is an obvious choice for you, and probably alot of other people.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:59 PM
n1cK!
Infiltrator!

On this car with these brakes, there seems to bo no need to fool with changing the pads and rotors for track vs. street

The tires are good for about 2-4 seconds over stock, We also had a white Z there for comparison that was completely stock other than Stance coilovers, Stillen exhaust, JWT pop charger, Stillen sways, and stillen headers, wheels and tires, without a LSD and it pretty much ran the same times with us driving as the blue car did (within a second or so).
sounds interesting. so basically you're saying that, for an NA car with bolt-ons only and street tires (or R-compounds), no changing of the pads should be necessary?

it sounds like i am really slow then...i'm running about 10 sec slower! i've only got: popcharger, plenum, fluidampr, HFC's, exhaust, tein basics, cusco arms, mid-chassis brace, front/rear strut tower bar and street tires. i need practice on that track to get faster i guess. plus i need to get the nerve to go over 125 on the bank! as soon as the hard bank happens, i go down to about 115
Old 12-08-2007, 11:01 PM
n1cK!
Infiltrator!

As far as the brakes, seems like getting these MR brakes is an obvious choice for you, and probably alot of other people.
always the salesman, eh?

hey, howcome you never got back to me about that front strut bar? i think i've sent you 3-4 pm's about it.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:03 PM
WA2GOOD
Banned

always the salesman, eh?

hey, howcome you never got back to me about that front strut bar? i think i've sent you 3-4 pm's about it.
I have almost all but given up on those things. They are such a pain in the **** to make, and it is like pulling teeth to get my fabricator to even make them, plus I was almost loosing money on them.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:05 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Oh sorry, I read your original post too fast and thought you said it was your first track day. I had Scott's car up here in Vegas for about a week after SEMA this year and drove it a few times and never heard the brakes make a single noise. The car was dirty though when I got it and dirty when I gave it back so I don't know how much dust they made. Scott will have to comment on that as well as operating temps.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:10 PM
n1cK!
Infiltrator!

I have almost all but given up on those things. They are such a pain in the **** to make, and it is like pulling teeth to get my fabricator to even make them, plus I was almost loosing money on them.
gotcha....no worries. i just wish i would've known!
Old 12-08-2007, 11:12 PM
n1cK!
Infiltrator!

Originally Posted by SinCity350Z
Oh sorry, I read your original post too fast and thought you said it was your first track day. I had Scott's car up here in Vegas for about a week after SEMA this year and drove it a few times and never heard the brakes make a single noise. The car was dirty though when I got it and dirty when I gave it back so I don't know how much dust they made. Scott will have to comment on that as well as operating temps.
no worries. all three of us are posting around the same time. my biggest concern for the operating temps safety. obviously i don't have the chance to warm them up to operating temperature on the street as i would on the track. i still need them to stop me. scott said he didn't have any info on the operating temps. how does the initial bite feel in ambient temperature?
Old 12-08-2007, 11:22 PM
n1cK!
Infiltrator!

also, how about serviceability and replacement parts? i know you guys stated that pad selection is slim to none, but who exactly makes compounds for these caliper shapes besides megan racing?
Old 12-09-2007, 01:30 AM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Operating temps were stated in post #42 ^^^

As for pad selection, I am quite sure you will be just fine with the pads supplied with the kit for street and track. I am pretty sure some pad manufacturer somewhere cross references with the MR brake pad size/shape and will work. Nothing to worry about here.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:33 PM
DMK

Sory, don't realy have any data on the pads that are used on these brakes other than they have an operating range of 50-650 degrees.

I hope those numbers are in Celsius.

Do you happen to know the FMSI number for the pad shapes? Just so people could know what other pads would fit inside the Megan calipers.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:37 PM
n1cK!
Infiltrator!

i don't think they were in celsius. that was my concern about taking them to the track. it seems that 650 deg is somewhat lacking. but, if scott and the crew say they are good on the track (and i've seen the blue z...it ran circles on me that's for sure), then i would tend to believe them. the FMSI number may be nice though. good call....
Old 12-09-2007, 01:46 PM
rkd350z

How much is the 6 pot front only?
I'm very interested since Way2good gave it an A+
Old 12-09-2007, 02:00 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

The operating temps do seem a little low, but we beat the crap out of those brakes with no problems. Unfortunately we didn't have a pyrometer with us to take rotor temps to see how hot the brakes were getting.

Scott, what pads did you put on Skyler's car? I wonder what the operating temps on those were because we burnt those up pretty quick. They were stock '06 brakes though.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:03 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Found info on the pads on Megan's site. Don't know if there is any more usefull info to anybody there or not...

http://www.meganracing.com/products/...=13&input.y=16

Quick Reply: Megan Racing BBK: Track Proven A++