Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Deals Gap

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 04:03 PM
jperleon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deals Gap

I'm curious about a suspension set up. I've been researching before I make a purchase and I was thinking about the hotchkis but most people say it is the best bang for the "street driver". I live about 15 min from deals gap and I drive it non stop. I'm curious as to which set up would be best for driving up there. I know the biggest part of suspension is how you drive and what feels comfortable, but I dont want to spend the money on a hotchkis and then out perform its capabilities. Should I go with a bigger drop than the hotchkis? are there better sways without costing a fortune? or is it worth the money for a different set up? Thanks

-Jordan

Last edited by jperleon; 12-20-2007 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:05 PM
ZSpectrum

Get the hotchkis tvs sways and tein mono flex or flex coilovers. Stay away from springs if you really care about handling.

Ive driven deals gap with just eibach springs, and was happy, but not near as happy as I am with coilovers. Im comparing a 350z with springs to my sti with coilovers. But there is a huge difference between my sti with springs than with coilovers.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:12 PM
jperleon

Just skip the springs and get coilovers? If your breaking up the TVS package would you get different sways all together?
Old 12-20-2007, 04:18 PM
ZSpectrum

Originally Posted by jperleon
Just skip the springs and get coilovers? If your breaking up the TVS package would you get different sways all together?
Dont buy springs, buy coilovers
Buy the sways out of the hotchkis package. I think you can get them separate. If not get some whiteline(if they make them for zs) or cuscos.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:29 PM
jperleon

will the cuscos and whiteline work with an aftermarket exhaust? I heard that was an issue on some rear sway's.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:36 PM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

I have driven the dragon three years in a row, and I'm from SW Florida. I wish I lived that close. I wouldn't go too low. The pull-off points will break stuff on your car if it's too low. (You want to be able to pull off while on the dragon because it's a long drive when you get stuck behind a sunday driver. Best to pull off, wait until you havn't seen any traffic in your lane for a while, then go have fun. -until you catch up to the sunday-driver again and restart again.) Also some of the elevation changes in some of the turns, (gravity cavity) might scrape the side of the car that's loaded up on entry. I would not go lower than an inch.

The TVS spring rates match the stock springs in the 03+04 Z's pretty well and I would not have a problem running the whole kit in that case. But for the revised suspension, 04.5+ I would, and did, go for RS-R springs and Hotchkis sways.

BTW, The wife and I met a proud new Z owner in 06'. A local and his GF in a Silver Z. He was new to the Z but obviously not new to the dragon. ( He was faster than most of the tourists) We ran the dragon and even invited them to one of the functions to meet the rest of the ZdayZ croud.... Sound familiar?

It's the silver Z in the back, if it was you, I thought you might remember the hood on the Z on the right. (mine is the blue one in front)

Last edited by Z1NONLY; 12-20-2007 at 04:57 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:48 PM
jperleon

Nope wasn't me, I've got a LeMans. But I think i know who you are talking about if it was a roadster. If the spring rates are the same, and the drop is the only difference, should I just stick with buying the hotchkis front and rear sways?
Old 12-20-2007, 05:03 PM
Z1NONLY

Nope wasn't me, I've got a LeMans. But I think i know who you are talking about if it was a roadster. If the spring rates are the same, and the drop is the only difference, should I just stick with buying the hotchkis front and rear sways?
No. It was a coupe. ( just put up the best picture I could find) The RS-R's drop an even .6 inch all around the Hotchkis sways drop a little more in the rear. (.75" IIRC) I like my Hotchkis sways and I have autocrossed with them since summer. Well built, quality product.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:09 PM
jperleon

Keeping it clean bro, Z is looking good. I haven't heard any complaints from people with the hotchkis just curious if it was possible to out perform them.

I'll be up there this year, maybe i'll see you this time, then again, i'm up there about once a week. haha
Old 12-20-2007, 05:19 PM
TheProfessional

Originally Posted by Z1NONLY
I have driven the dragon three years in a row, and I'm from SW Florida. I wish I lived that close. I wouldn't go too low. The pull-off points will break stuff on your car if it's too low. (You want to be able to pull off while on the dragon because it's a long drive when you get stuck behind a sunday driver. Best to pull off, wait until you havn't seen any traffic in your lane for a while, then go have fun. -until you catch up to the sunday-driver again and restart again.) Also some of the elevation changes in some of the turns, (gravity cavity) might scrape the side of the car that's loaded up on entry. I would not go lower than an inch.

The TVS spring rates match the stock springs in the 03+04 Z's pretty well and I would not have a problem running the whole kit in that case. But for the revised suspension, 04.5+ I would, and did, go for RS-R springs and Hotchkis sways.

BTW, The wife and I met a proud new Z owner in 06'. A local and his GF in a Silver Z. He was new to the Z but obviously not new to the dragon. ( He was faster than most of the tourists) We ran the dragon and even invited them to one of the functions to meet the rest of the ZdayZ croud.... Sound familiar?

It's the silver Z in the back, if it was you, I thought you might remember the hood on the Z on the right. (mine is the blue one in front)
If its the same guy, he is a local, ran the dragon a lot. I think I followed that guy the second half of the poker run... when we stopped at the first dam, he said "That was a nice run man!" I said "That was my first run on the dragon! LOL"

I led our group the first half, it's a WHOLE other ball game when you are following someone familiar with the road.

After we talked for a while, I showed him the bullet sized hole in my windshield from debris at xxx mph!

If you have seen my Zdayz vids, that was the silver Z in front of me.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:46 PM
Jarred@Z1
Sponsor
Z1 Motorsports

Well if you dont have the money for coil overs and you want springs i would look into COBB tuning they have a small amount of drop and a higher spring rate than stock 05+. As stated before RSR makes very good springs as well almost considered getting those but found the COBB tuning were higher spring rate and non progressive, much more predictable than a progressive spring like most after market springs out there.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:58 PM
Z1NONLY

Keeping it clean bro, Z is looking good. I haven't heard any complaints from people with the hotchkis just curious if it was possible to out perform them.

I'll be up there this year, maybe i'll see you this time, then again, i'm up there about once a week. haha
Right now it looks like this will be the first (and I hope, only) year I don't make it.

I'm sure you could outperform the TVS kit if you spent a lot more $$$, but the dragon with all of its interesting, blind, sharp turns, has a way of equalizing things down to the driver. If I were going to do one mod to prep for the dragon, other than good tires, it would be brakes.

BTW, RS-R's are linear also.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:05 PM
Jarred@Z1
Sponsor
Z1 Motorsports

yeah i just remembered the down springs are but the ti 2000 arent but either way i would go with the down springs or cobb.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:11 PM
Z1NONLY

Originally Posted by TheProfessional
If you have seen my Zdayz vids, that was the silver Z in front of me.
I just searched, but couldn't find them. Link?
Old 12-20-2007, 06:17 PM
Z1NONLY

Originally Posted by Jarred@Z1
yeah i just remembered the down springs are but the ti 2000 arent but either way i would go with the down springs or cobb.
I have the Ti2000, they are linear too. The Ti's use titanium though. (a little lighter than the Down's)

As for spring rates, I wanted to stay close to stock because I don't intend to get adjustible struts for a while. The ride is pretty much stock but I know not everyone want's that.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:24 PM
jperleon

Originally Posted by Z1NONLY
Right now it looks like this will be the first (and I hope, only) year I don't make it.

I'm sure you could outperform the TVS kit if you spent a lot more $$$, but the dragon with all of its interesting, blind, sharp turns, has a way of equalizing things down to the driver. If I were going to do one mod to prep for the dragon, other than good tires, it would be brakes.

BTW, RS-R's are linear also.
You would be amazed at the fastest drivers threw there...They dont use much breaks, but when they do they are ON THEM!
Old 12-22-2007, 07:25 PM
jperleon

Originally Posted by Jarred@Z1
Well if you dont have the money for coil overs and you want springs i would look into COBB tuning they have a small amount of drop and a higher spring rate than stock 05+. As stated before RSR makes very good springs as well almost considered getting those but found the COBB tuning were higher spring rate and non progressive, much more predictable than a progressive spring like most after market springs out there.
Lets say you were looking for coil overs, which brand would YOU choose?
Old 12-22-2007, 08:32 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Go with some coilovers, just safe your money.

Springs are not worth it.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:32 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Lets say you were looking for coil overs, which brand would YOU choose?

Tein flex or mono flex, I love them!
Old 12-23-2007, 06:05 AM
Z1NONLY

You would be amazed at the fastest drivers threw there...They dont use much breaks, but when they do they are ON THEM!
I tucked in behind 3 of what many consider the fastest drivers on that mountain. (Doug, Matt, and Bryan) They lived up to the hype. This clip is from hwy 28. (-Near the dragon, at ZdayZ) I even made a comment on his brakes. "He's got good brakes....better than mine.... I'd better give him some more space."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4xPCG4_fuw

Last edited by Z1NONLY; 12-23-2007 at 06:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Deals Gap